Transcreation and Copywriting
Thread poster: MOUNIR LOUKOUMANOU
MOUNIR LOUKOUMANOU
MOUNIR LOUKOUMANOU
Local time: 11:02
English to French
+ ...
Dec 7, 2022

Would you do transcreation without a prior experience in copywriting?

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Yes Dec 7, 2022

A good translator is already a copywriter and transcreator.

But most translators aren't.

MOUNIR LOUKOUMANOU
Joakim Braun
Michael Newton
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Yaotl Altan

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Yes Dec 7, 2022

I do transcreation and I have no experience whatsoever in copywriting. I worked for some time as account executive at an advertising agency…

MOUNIR LOUKOUMANOU
Kay Denney
Josephine Cassar

Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:02
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
Yes Dec 7, 2022

They are two totally different disciplines.

MOUNIR LOUKOUMANOU
Josephine Cassar

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Does it involve SEO? Dec 7, 2022

SEO can’t be done without knowledge or experience. No, it’s not only about placing keywords into the text.

Plain copywriting could potentially be done without experience (not sure how effective though).

Copywriting and transcreation are two different things. The latter is like rewriting, the former is idea and wording generation from scratch, it also involves content planning.

[Edited at 2022-12-07 11:01 GMT]

Robert Rietvelt
MOUNIR LOUKOUMANOU

Denis Fesik
Denis Fesik
Local time: 13:02
English to Russian
+ ...
Do high school essays and term papers count? Dec 7, 2022

I wish my high school essays were not found anywhere in existence today, they were so awful. And I'm a person who can do without writing, so, according to some writers, I have no business being one of them. However, my former employer did ask me to write articles for them, and I guess I did a good job with them. If transcreation is for things like helping students cheat with their papers, they can count me out. What are some of the good uses of transcreation? If I were offered a good transcreati... See more
I wish my high school essays were not found anywhere in existence today, they were so awful. And I'm a person who can do without writing, so, according to some writers, I have no business being one of them. However, my former employer did ask me to write articles for them, and I guess I did a good job with them. If transcreation is for things like helping students cheat with their papers, they can count me out. What are some of the good uses of transcreation? If I were offered a good transcreation job, I'd probably accept itCollapse

MOUNIR LOUKOUMANOU
MOUNIR LOUKOUMANOU
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Sometimes it does Dec 7, 2022

Lingua 5B wrote:

SEO can’t be done without knowledge or experience. No, it’s not only about placing keywords into the text.

Plain copywriting could potentially be done without experience (not sure how effective though).

Copywriting and transcreation are two different things. The latter is like rewriting, the former is idea and wording generation from scratch, it also involves content planning.

Transcreation can aim at direct marketing or SEO in another language. For direct marketing, you will need to translate, back translate and produce rationales for each segment. It is just like producing a high copy for a particular company. For SEO, you won't just translate, but also involve keyword search.

[Modifié le 2022-12-07 13:02 GMT]

MOUNIR LOUKOUMANOU
MOUNIR LOUKOUMANOU
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
2 different disciplines Dec 7, 2022

Robert Rietvelt wrote:

What level of interdisciplinarity? After being into both, I got the feeling that it is hard dissociating them. A transcreator could hold hidden copywriting skills.

Lingua 5B
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
No it’s not Dec 7, 2022

MOUNIR LOUKOUMANOU wrote:

Lingua 5B wrote:

Transcreation can aim at direct marketing or SEO in another language. For direct marketing, you will need to translate, back translate and produce rationales for each segment. It is just like producing a high copy for a particular company. For SEO, you won't just translate, but also involve keyword search.

[Modifié le 2022-12-07 13:02 GMT]

It’s not. You will have to design, structure and plan ideas from scratch then figure out the format for it to be copywriting. Your starting point is someone else’s ideas. SEO is much more than keyword research. You need the knowledge of Google engine and web design to place SEO successfully.

MOUNIR LOUKOUMANOU
Robert Rietvelt

Lingua 5B
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Try it out Dec 7, 2022

Robert Rietvelt wrote:

What level of interdisciplinarity? After being into both, I got the feeling that it is hard dissociating them. A transcreator could hold hidden copywriting skills.

Grab a topic, and create a copy from scratch. Then see for yourself whether/how it’s diffreent.

MOUNIR LOUKOUMANOU
Robert Rietvelt

Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
@Mounir Dec 7, 2022

Robert Rietvelt wrote:

A transcreator could hold hidden copywriting skills.

Or not!

They are two different things. See comments Lingua 5B. I totally agree with her.

[Edited at 2022-12-07 14:49 GMT]

[Edited at 2022-12-07 14:51 GMT]

MOUNIR LOUKOUMANOU

MOUNIR LOUKOUMANOU
MOUNIR LOUKOUMANOU
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Alright Dec 8, 2022

Ice Scream wrote:

A good translator is already a copywriter and transcreator.

But most translators aren't.

A good translator! I like this...

MOUNIR LOUKOUMANOU
MOUNIR LOUKOUMANOU
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
What? Dec 8, 2022

Denis Fesik wrote:

I wish my high school essays were not found anywhere in existence today, they were so awful. And I'm a person who can do without writing, so, according to some writers, I have no business being one of them. However, my former employer did ask me to write articles for them, and I guess I did a good job with them. If transcreation is for things like helping students cheat with their papers, they can count me out. What are some of the good uses of transcreation? If I were offered a good transcreation job, I'd probably accept it

What are you saying?

Christopher Schröder

Denis Fesik
Denis Fesik
Local time: 13:02
English to Russian
+ ...
I was mostly joking Dec 8, 2022

What are you saying?

However, I really couldn't think of why you'd want some content 'transcreated' rather than translated or written from scratch. I mentioned cheating because my idea of transcreation was that of writing a book or paper that would be drawn entirely from two or three sources in a foreign language but wouldn't be traceable back to them because of being rewritten in a clever way. Based on what I read in other threads, transcreation jobs are all about online marketing, and that's one thing I don't want to be doing. I had a few marketing projects where I'd have to do a lot of transcreation because there was no point translating all those company missions, visions, logos, and values, most of which had never been trancreated by a professional. The problem was that they paid me a regular translation rate with no extra bonus for creative work. Making subtitles and transcripts for content delivered in a foreign language (including movies and video games, of which I've translated a few) is another field where lots of creativity is required, so can I call a subtitling job transcreation or will it still leave me in the translation field? Any literary translator transcreates the original content. So, does anybody know exactly what 'transcreation' even means? Is it just about SEO and stuff like that?

[Edited at 2022-12-08 14:56 GMT]

Christopher Schröder

Joakim Braun
Joakim Braun  Identity Verified
Sweden
German to Swedish
+ ...
Yes, of course Dec 8, 2022

But often "transcreation" is used for "translation that's idiomatic and readable".

Christopher Schröder
Karen Wooddissee
Kay Denney
Vera Schoen
Philippe Etienne

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Transcreation and Copywriting

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »