Nica Wooters
Nica Wooters
United States
Local time: 07:48
Member (2022)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Copywriting = Skill of a Marketing Professional? Jan 25, 2023

I am new to freelance translation, so please excuse my ignorance on this topic. I guess I am confused as to where translation comes into the copywriting process.

If copywriting is creating something totally new with no source text, isn't copywriting just engaging in the work of a marketing consultant? For clarification, is it the case that marketing consultants engage in copywriting generally and transcreation is more of a specialty skill that some of them have in their toolbox, ma
... See more
I am new to freelance translation, so please excuse my ignorance on this topic. I guess I am confused as to where translation comes into the copywriting process.

If copywriting is creating something totally new with no source text, isn't copywriting just engaging in the work of a marketing consultant? For clarification, is it the case that marketing consultants engage in copywriting generally and transcreation is more of a specialty skill that some of them have in their toolbox, making them more, well... marketable? There is no explicit relationship between copywriting and translating, correct?

Translation agencies have asked about my capacity for transcreation and copywriting, in addition to translation, but I don't really know what to say about copywriting. I feel comfortable doing transcreation, but it seems to me that copywriting is a different animal and doesn't fall into the translation camp. While I think I am a fairly good writer in general, I suppose the answer is that I don't have marketing skills and therefore I wouldn't be a good copywriter. Does that sound right?

Sorry for having dredged this conversation back up. Any further insight would be very welcome, however, if anyone is so inclined
Collapse

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Local time: 16:48
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Creative&fiction vs. business writing Jan 25, 2023

Yes, angles are different and you need a different skill set.

Also copywriters often specialize in different things and different formats of marketing copies. You need to know how to frame them. And quite correctly, you need some marketing knowledge. It’s not like translations where translators produce “whatever”. With marketing copy, you will be severely judged based on how your copy converts. While many other factors other than your writing may affect conversion, you will st
... See more
Yes, angles are different and you need a different skill set.

Also copywriters often specialize in different things and different formats of marketing copies. You need to know how to frame them. And quite correctly, you need some marketing knowledge. It’s not like translations where translators produce “whatever”. With marketing copy, you will be severely judged based on how your copy converts. While many other factors other than your writing may affect conversion, you will still be judged.
Collapse

Dr. Tilmann Kleinau
Dr. Tilmann Kleinau  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 16:48
Member (2006)
English to German
+ ...
Transcreation is translation plus copywriting Jan 29, 2023

This is what I learnt in a ProZ.com webinar about transcreation by Nina Sattler-Hovdar, a transcreation expert: What is the main difference between translation and transcreation? A translator translates a text, a transcreator translates the client's brief, i.e. the client's intention into words - not the source words but the intention, always for a pre-defined target group and use. In order to give the client the chance to choose and decide, there are several translated versions which the transc... See more
This is what I learnt in a ProZ.com webinar about transcreation by Nina Sattler-Hovdar, a transcreation expert: What is the main difference between translation and transcreation? A translator translates a text, a transcreator translates the client's brief, i.e. the client's intention into words - not the source words but the intention, always for a pre-defined target group and use. In order to give the client the chance to choose and decide, there are several translated versions which the transcreator re-translates and comments. SEO can be a part of the transcreation workflow which consists of about eight parts.

[Edited at 2023-01-29 10:55 GMT]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Transcreation and Copywriting

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »