Thread poster: Kay-Viktor Stegemann
Kay-Viktor Stegemann
Kay-Viktor Stegemann
Germany
Local time: 22:47
English to German
In memoriam
Mar 7, 2019

Warning: I just was addressed via Proz Chat by a person calling himself Mike Epp or Michael Epp. He tried to send me a virus/Trojan in a file called "Microsoft Word.exe", compressed in a 7z file.

This is what I got:

---
mike epp wants to chat with you on ProZ.com:

Hello. I am the system administrator for the company Michael Epp. Our company needs constant translation as we have a new business partner. If you can translate our documents, we are ready
... See more
Warning: I just was addressed via Proz Chat by a person calling himself Mike Epp or Michael Epp. He tried to send me a virus/Trojan in a file called "Microsoft Word.exe", compressed in a 7z file.

This is what I got:

---
mike epp wants to chat with you on ProZ.com:

Hello. I am the system administrator for the company Michael Epp. Our company needs constant translation as we have a new business partner. If you can translate our documents, we are ready to cooperate constantly. I put the password on the document as there may be confidential information. password qwerty. thanks
---

and then this person attached a 7z compressed file in the chat. My antivirus software raised a Trojan alarm immediately. If you get this too, do not open it.

[Edited at 2019-03-07 19:26 GMT]
Collapse

Simone Linke

Lincoln Hui
Lincoln Hui  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 04:47
Chinese to English
+ ...
ProZ Chat Mar 7, 2019

Question: Has ProZ Chat ever done anything good for anybody?

An email notification from ProZ Chat looks like this:
proz chat

And the hyperlink directs you to something that looks like this:
https://click.pstmrk.it/2sm/www.proz.com/inbox/xNHmMAI/hA0l/Xa-z3Eltab/MHh4QkFBUJweDiWGZsTmVWZlhKMw

It looks more like a virus email than most actual virus emails I get, and communication through ProZ Chat typically ends up being no more real-time than email. At this point I literally cannot imagine a scenario in which ProZ Chat has a use for anybody, unless we are able to implement our own chatbots in it.

[Edited at 2019-03-07 20:00 GMT]

Josephine Cassar

Simone Linke
Simone Linke  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Received same chat scam as Kay-Viktor Mar 7, 2019

I've also received the apparently malicious file from "mike epp". Haven't opened it and informed support, but I'm rather shocked how easy it apparently is to send malicious files via the chat (an option I've basically never used before) without having to provide any kind of ID or having to pass even basic spam-protection safeguards.
Gonna have to disable that useless chat option.

Vadim Kadyrov

Malika El khadhri
Malika El khadhri  Identity Verified
France
Member (2012)
French to Arabic
+ ...
Received the same Scam Mar 7, 2019

Hello,

I also from a person called Favor Zakro via Proz.com and this is the content of the message:

Favor Zarko wants to chat with you on ProZ.com:

Hello dear I want you to write me back in my email I have an important topic to discuss with you then from there we can introduce our self-ok,
Click here to join the chat...

On behalf of Favor Zarko,
The ProZ.com team.

Nothing related to translation just a scam!

Sandrine Zérouali

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 23:47
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Got it twice Mar 8, 2019

Deleted it without reading.

Rowan Morrell
Rowan Morrell  Identity Verified
New Zealand
Local time: 08:47
Member (2003)
French to English
+ ...
I got one too - from "Raymondny" Mar 8, 2019

Message was as follows:

"Hello. I am the system administrator for the company Raymond Epp. Our company needs constant translation as we have a new business partner. If you can translate our documents, we are ready to cooperate constantly. I put the password on the document so that only you and I know. password qwerty. thank"

Malicious MS Word file then attached. I didn't open that, obviously.

I don't seem to be able to delete chat messages, otherwise I'd ge
... See more
Message was as follows:

"Hello. I am the system administrator for the company Raymond Epp. Our company needs constant translation as we have a new business partner. If you can translate our documents, we are ready to cooperate constantly. I put the password on the document so that only you and I know. password qwerty. thank"

Malicious MS Word file then attached. I didn't open that, obviously.

I don't seem to be able to delete chat messages, otherwise I'd get rid of this in a heartbeat.

Agree with what others have said about ProZ Chat being utterly useless. Time to disable it (once I can work out how).
Collapse

Yolanda Broad

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Even twice Mar 8, 2019

Having seen and read the notification of your warning in my inbox, I didn't fall for it.

Thank you, Kay-Viktor.

Sandrine Zérouali
Sandrine Zérouali  Identity Verified
Algeria
Local time: 21:47
Member (2008)
Spanish to French
+ ...
Same person (Favor Zarko) as for Malika Mar 8, 2019

Hello,

I received the a quite different message from this "Favor Zarko" through the Proz Real-time chat.

In my answer, I send him the screenshot I found on the Internet (same message in other platform) to show him that we ar
... See more
Hello,

I received the a quite different message from this "Favor Zarko" through the Proz Real-time chat.

In my answer, I send him the screenshot I found on the Internet (same message in other platform) to show him that we are not stupid!

https://www.speakingtree.in/discussion/hi-nice-to-meet-you-after-viewing-your-profile-i-am-luciana-from-madrid-spain-i-have-a-project-discussion-with-you-please-email-me-on-santiagolucianayahoocom-for-brief-information-i-urgently-await-you
Collapse

AndersonT (X)
AndersonT (X)  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:47
German to English
Same here ... Mar 8, 2019

Called him-/herself "Harris Edelmann" .... happened 3/8/2019 - 5:10 pm

Collapse

Melanie Meyer
Melanie Meyer  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2010)
English to German
+ ...
Same request from Harris Edelmann Mar 8, 2019

WH&A wrote:

Called him-/herself "Harris Edelmann" .... happened 3/8/2019 - 5:10 pm

I received the same request from Harris Edelmann today.

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
The same chat Mar 9, 2019

This Harris Edelman contacted me three times already with various translation requests. Quite persistent. These chat requests notifications are now being send directly to my scam file.

Max Hellwig
Max Hellwig  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2013)
English to German
+ ...
I got Harris Edelman too Mar 9, 2019

Slightly different request, same effect...

How does it work anyway? Can just anyone send messages and files without registering? Because I don't seem to be able to get to any profile for harris edelman...

Melanie Meyer

Eva Stoppa
Eva Stoppa  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
I didn't get any of those, (yet) Mar 11, 2019

...But thank you for the warning.

MollyRose
MollyRose  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:47
English to Spanish
+ ...
Thanks for the warning! Mar 11, 2019

I got an e-mail from Michael Epp (via ProZ) saying he wanted to chat with me on ProZ. When I saw the subject line, I just deleted the e-mail without reading it.

Melanie Meyer
Melanie Meyer  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2010)
English to German
+ ...
@Max - disable chat Mar 11, 2019

Max Hellwig wrote:

Slightly different request, same effect...

How does it work anyway? Can just anyone send messages and files without registering? Because I don't seem to be able to get to any profile for harris edelman...

Hi Max,

Apparently you can disable the chat function (envelope icon on top right of the screen) or adjust your settings so that only registered ProZ members can contact you via chat.

I have disabled the chat function altogether after receiving that questionable message and file attachment. I figure if somebody wants to get in touch, they can send me an email.

Melanie

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trojan via Proz Chat

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »