Portugal
Local time: 01:15
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Feb 1, 2019

I’ve received early this morning this email:

“Hello,

Good day to you. I got your contact email from atanet.org. I need a translation done from English to Portuguese. Document is attached. Am a private person and I need the translation for some personal projects am doing. Please let me know when you be able to finish it. Will it be possible in 2 weeks? If not, then let me know when you can possibly get it done. Please let me know how much this will cost in total so I
... See more
I’ve received early this morning this email:

“Hello,

Good day to you. I got your contact email from atanet.org. I need a translation done from English to Portuguese. Document is attached. Am a private person and I need the translation for some personal projects am doing. Please let me know when you be able to finish it. Will it be possible in 2 weeks? If not, then let me know when you can possibly get it done. Please let me know how much this will cost in total so I can know how to plan. What is your mode of payment? Do you take PayPal? Will that be okay with you? If so, please get back to me with your PayPal account details so I can know how to plan. Also, I really don't want any delays. Please let me know if that okay with you? Here is my contact information in case you need more clarification on this:

Name: Bruno Almeida Gomez
Address: 23 Westgate Rd, Newcastle upon Tyne
NE1 1SE, UK
Phone: +447537125962

Please go through it and get back to me ASAP. Thanks”

Smelling a scam, I started my research by checking the address: it belongs to a library (The Lit & Phil) (http://www.litandphil.org.uk/join-the-library/). I emailed them and no one by that name is a member or works there. Then I searched the email and bingo: it’s listed on the Translator Scammers Directory!

So, be warned if you receive a similar message…
Collapse

Yolanda Broad
Yvonne Gallagher

Colleen Roach, PhD
Colleen Roach, PhD  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:15
French to English
+ ...
Scammers directory? Feb 1, 2019

Teresa Borges wrote:

Smelling a scam, I started my research by checking the address: it belongs to a library (The Lit & Phil) (http://www.litandphil.org.uk/join-the-library/). I emailed them and no one by that name is a member or works there. Then I searched the email and bingo: it’s listed on the Translator Scammers Directory!

So, be warned if you receive a similar message…

Teresa: Thanks for posting this & I'm sorry for you being targeted. It's kind of depressing that translators in particular seem to be the targets, increasingly.

You refer to the "Translator Scammers Directory." Could you please post what this is exactly? I have a whole folder of ways of researching/dealing with scammers, but I'm not sure I have this site.

In a recent post on another scam someone (a man doing Romanian translations in the US; not sure of his name? ) posted what I thought was perhaps the best advice: don't engage -- at all -- with these people. As soon as you smell scam, hit the delete button.

Liviu-Lee Roth

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 01:15
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Colleen Feb 1, 2019

I was asked by the Translator Scammers Directory NOT to publish the direct URLs of files available in their website, but if you google it you'll find it easily. Otherwise, email me directly...

Yolanda Broad
Yolanda Broad  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:15
Member (2000)
French to English
+ ...

URL for Translator Scammers Directory Feb 1, 2019

Actually, you should have the URL for the Directory, just not republish their individual files here. Here it is:

http://www.translator-scammers.com/translator-scammers-directory.htm

Katarzyna Slowikova

Colleen Roach, PhD
United States
French to English
+ ...
Site warning for Translator-Scammers Feb 1, 2019

Yolanda Broad wrote:

Actually, you should have the URL for the Directory, just not republish their individual files here. Here it is:

I get a big red warning flag from my anti-virus protection (McCaffee). Teresa says her anti-virus system doesn't flag this site. Anyone else using McCaffee have this problem? Thank you.

TTMEM TRANSLATION PORTAL
Zuzana Greksakova

Katarzyna Slowikova
Katarzyna Slowikova  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 02:15
English to Czech
+ ...
this website is safe (in my lay opinion) Feb 1, 2019

Colleen Roach, PhD wrote:

Yolanda Broad wrote:

I get a big red warning flag from my anti-virus protection (McCaffee). Teresa says her anti-virus system doesn't flag this site. Anyone else using McCaffee have this problem? Thank you.

I would suppose only (and all) of those using McAfee (nothing to do with coffee - maybe you need one?) will have this problem.
In my (humble!) opinion, this SW is totally alarmist and useless, the only purpose of the free version is to panic the user to upgrade to the paid version.
I have never had any warning trying to enter the Translators Scammers Directory, neither from the browser (Firefox with none of those crappy "safety" extensions) nor from my antivirus (free AVG).

Colleen Roach, PhD
United States
French to English
+ ...
McAfee warning Feb 1, 2019

Yolanda & Katarzyna: Thanks for your input. I do have a paid version of this anti-virus software, but it's probably just finding something to fuss about (?).

Regards,

Colleen

TTMEM TRANSLATION PORTAL
TTMEM TRANSLATION PORTAL
Italy
English to Polish
+ ...
The same problem! Feb 2, 2019

Colleen Roach, PhD wrote:

Yolanda Broad wrote:

We got the same warning from McCaffee! We don't have enough courage to click "Accept the risk" button and visit this website!

Katarzyna Slowikova
Germany
English to Czech
+ ...
Use the website without accessing it Feb 4, 2019

TTMEM TRANSLATION PORTAL wrote:

We got the same warning from McCaffee! We don't have enough courage to click "Accept the risk" button and visit this website!

If you just want to check if a particular name, phrase (from email body) or a name+surname is mentioned there (whether of a suspected scammer or a victim), you can google search the website using the "site:" operator. You will see enough text to make a conclusion, without accessing the website.

As to the reasons you get the warning, maybe it's because the website tracks the users "for our [i.e. the website's team] security"?
I know from my short experience with the free version of MCAFEE (ffs!) that it flags stuff that's often unwelcome in your computer (or on a website, from the user's perspective) for various reasons (e.g. privacy) thought it's not a security risk per se and therefore isn't being flagged by other anti-viruses. Tracking would be one example.

Maybe some competent person can confirm this...?

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

SITE LOCALIZER
Get rid of McAfee SiteAdvisor Feb 4, 2019

Or get a better antivirus software.

Kevin Fulton
Yolanda Broad
Katarzyna Slowikova

Katarzyna Slowikova
Germany
English to Czech
+ ...
John McAfee would probably agree Feb 4, 2019

Natalie wrote:

Or get a better antivirus software.

John McAfee would probably agree. If you have troubles uninstalling the SW, he has some tip for you here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKgf5PaBzyg

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Another scam

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »