in any manner compel you to honor against your will. Let me
start

by introducing myself. I am Lisa Morgan 38year old single
young

girl with bright future. I have a mutual benefit in the
business.

1. Can you handle this project?

2. Can I give you this trust?

3.Can we work together with honesty and trust?

Absolute confidentiality is required from you.Besides, I
will use

my connection to get some documents. More information await
you

in my next response to your email message. Email: please
Reply To email (

[email protected])

Treat as very urgent.
Yours Faithfully,
Lisa Morgan

Lisa, our definition of "young" seems to differ slightly.

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 10:50
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

SITE LOCALIZER
It would be useful Dec 2, 2018

if you could post the IP address of the sender.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 09:50
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
She aged a lot suddenly... Dec 2, 2018

... as last year she was 27!
https://www.419scam.org/emails/2017-12/15/00796419.111.htm

Roy Chacón
Roy Chacón  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 03:50
English to Spanish
But she's still young... Dec 2, 2018

maybe not a girl, but still young.

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
"Young" is relative Dec 2, 2018

Age is nothing but a number that only matters at 3 - 4 stages in one's life, e. g. retirement age.

But at least it's an obvious scam right at the beginning because it sounds more like she needs to get on a dating site.

[Edited at 2018-12-02 10:37 GMT]

Tony M
Tony M
France
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
"Young girl" Dec 2, 2018

Please, surely we're all linguists here?

In very many languages, the word for "young girl" really simply means "a maiden" — a woman who is not yet married / is still a virgin. Cf. such expressions as 'elderly maiden aunt' in EN.
So the mistranslation into 'young girl' is understandable, and if nothing else serves to confirm the fact this is not a native speaker of EN.

And cf. that huge translation error in the Bible, where the 'Virgin Mary' was originally descri
... See more
Please, surely we're all linguists here?

In very many languages, the word for "young girl" really simply means "a maiden" — a woman who is not yet married / is still a virgin. Cf. such expressions as 'elderly maiden aunt' in EN.
So the mistranslation into 'young girl' is understandable, and if nothing else serves to confirm the fact this is not a native speaker of EN.

And cf. that huge translation error in the Bible, where the 'Virgin Mary' was originally described as 'a maiden', simply meaning in her case, probably, a young woman who had not yet had any children. From that simple semantic error has arisen the whole "miracle" of a supposed 'virgin birth'...
Collapse

Tom in London

Katarzyna Slowikova
Katarzyna Slowikova  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Czech
+ ...
Re-scam Dec 2, 2018

Lincoln, forward the message to [email protected]
It's an AI project, where the scam emails are being replied to by bots and the results are often funny. Too bad they're offline now but hopefully will come back soon and publish even more examples on their website: https://www.rescam.org/.
It's a funny reading and your message seems to have a potential to
... See more
Lincoln, forward the message to [email protected]
It's an AI project, where the scam emails are being replied to by bots and the results are often funny. Too bad they're offline now but hopefully will come back soon and publish even more examples on their website: https://www.rescam.org/.
It's a funny reading and your message seems to have a potential too.
Collapse

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Yes, but... Dec 2, 2018

Tony M wrote:

I basically agree with you, Tony. However, she wrote "I am Lisa Morgan 38year old single young girl ...

This raises the question whether she emphasizes "single" or "young". Or maybe both? That is of course, only if one has some idle time to spend on something like this.

[Edited at 2018-12-02 15:04 GMT]

gayd (X)
gayd (X)
sure Dec 2, 2018

Thayenga wrote:

Tony M wrote:

I basically agree with you, Tony. However, she wrote "I am Lisa Morgan 38year old single young girl ...

This raises the question whether she emphasizes "single" or "young". Or maybe both? That is of course, only if one has some idle time to spend on something like this.

[Edited at 2018-12-02 15:04 GMT]

virgin and innocent

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:50
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Extra virgin olive oil Dec 2, 2018

Tony M wrote:
...... that huge translation error in the Bible, where the 'Virgin Mary' was originally described as 'a maiden', simply meaning in her case, probably, a young woman who had not yet had any children. From that simple semantic error has arisen the whole "miracle" of a supposed 'virgin birth'...

Ah but the birth is also referred to as the Immaculate Conception.... surely that isn't a mistranslation?

Not that I care. It was actually a pagan calendar event marking the rebirth (of the year, in midwinter)- which the Christians somehow personalised into the birth of a perfect child. Touching, but wrong ! Happy Winter Solstice everyone on 21 December !

[Edited at 2018-12-02 17:12 GMT]

Nikki Scott-Despaigne
Nikki Scott-Despaigne  Identity Verified
French to English
What is this post about? Dec 2, 2018

I'm not sure that understand the purpose of this post. Is it to alert us to an apparent scam?

jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:50
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Yes, but Dec 2, 2018

How is this related to translation/translators? There are hundreds of "generic" types of scams that are not specifically targeted at translators. Should we list all of them in here?

[Edited at 2018-12-02 19:32 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

38 year old single young girl

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »