Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 23:16
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Nov 22, 2018

I’ve just received yet another CV from a translator who in the header of the email claims to be “proficional” (oh yeah, for sure!). (Please note that we haven’t posted any job and that we work exclusively from and into European Portuguese)

“Dear sir/madam,

I am a freelance translator and I've read your project you've posted.
I am very interested in this assignment. I am a Dutch native speaker and I have an outstanding knowledge of the English language.... See more
I’ve just received yet another CV from a translator who in the header of the email claims to be “proficional” (oh yeah, for sure!). (Please note that we haven’t posted any job and that we work exclusively from and into European Portuguese)

“Dear sir/madam,

I am a freelance translator and I've read your project you've posted.
I am very interested in this assignment. I am a Dutch native speaker and I have an outstanding knowledge of the English language.
I have translated innumerable files in this language pair in all kind of fields in the full satisfaction of my clients inlcuding Technical files..
I accept the rate for this project.
I am reliable, accurate and deliver your project on time and in a professional way.
I hope you give me the opportunity to prove myself and translate this project for you.
I am looking forward to hear from you soon.

With kind regards,

Ane Sild”

LOL
Collapse

Ana Costa

Elif Baykara Narbay
Elif Baykara Narbay  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 01:16
German to Turkish
+ ...
... Nov 22, 2018

Innumerable is very much and at the same time very very important

Katarzyna Slowikova
Katarzyna Slowikova  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 00:16
English to Czech
+ ...
Next time it can be your CV Nov 22, 2018

Not sure the real Ane Sild (or whoever this CV belongs to) will find it funny... Have you considered forwarding the CVs and e-mail headers to http://www.translator-scammers.com/translator-scammers-directory.htm ?

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 23:16
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Before posting... Nov 22, 2018

Katarzyna Slowikova wrote:

Not sure the real Ane Sild (or whoever this CV belongs to) will find it funny... Have you considered forwarding the CVs and e-mail headers to http://www.translator-scammers.com/translator-scammers-directory.htm ?

... I did what I'm supposed to do: search the Net and I couldn't find a single translator with this name. In fact, the only two Ane Silds I've found lived during the XVI and the XIX centuries...

By the way, every time I discovered that a CV was stolen I’ve always warned the real translators, but I must admit that I’ve been puzzled by their attitude as they’ve gotten rather suspicious of me…

[Edited at 2018-11-22 15:09 GMT]

Katarzyna Slowikova

Katarzyna Slowikova
Katarzyna Slowikova  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 00:16
English to Czech
+ ...
Who needs a title?! Nov 22, 2018

Teresa Borges wrote:

By the way, every time I discovered that a CV was stolen I’ve always warned the real translators, but I must admit that I’ve been puzzled by their attitude as they’ve gotten rather suspicious of me…

[Edited at 2018-11-22 15:09 GMT]

Thumbs up for you warning the victims! I'd do the same, if only somebody cared to try to scam me.

As to the reaction: considering these are most likely people who leave their CVs out there in Word or similar editable format, it's not surprising they're rather misguided (to put it mildly...).

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

CVs from fake translators

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »