Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 07:48
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Nov 7, 2018

For the first time ever (how lucky have I been?) I was contacted directly (not through Proz, though he said “I got your email from the website as a translator”. Which one?) two days ago by what might be a potential scammer asking for a quote for a Spanish-Portuguese translation. All the red flags were there: very poor English (though his name sounded British or American), no introduction whatsoever, no contact details (even after I asked for an address he just said that he was presently in S... See more
For the first time ever (how lucky have I been?) I was contacted directly (not through Proz, though he said “I got your email from the website as a translator”. Which one?) two days ago by what might be a potential scammer asking for a quote for a Spanish-Portuguese translation. All the red flags were there: very poor English (though his name sounded British or American), no introduction whatsoever, no contact details (even after I asked for an address he just said that he was presently in Spain). It took me some time searching the Internet to find the text to be translated: The Promise of World Peace, a document produced by the Universal House of Justice of the Bahá'í Faith and published in October 1985…Collapse

Dalia Nour

Mirko Mainardi
Mirko Mainardi  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 08:48
English to Italian
IP, email address? Nov 7, 2018

What was the email address domain? And, if it wasn't Gmail, did you check the originating IP?

Yolanda Broad
Dalia Nour

Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes Nov 7, 2018

Mirko Mainardi wrote:

What was the email address domain? And, if it wasn't Gmail, did you check the originating IP?

I did all due diligence...

Yolanda Broad
Yolanda Broad  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:48
Member (2000)
French to English
+ ...

Please let us know the scammer's name and email address Nov 7, 2018

Hi Teresa,

Mirko is right: please post the name and address of the scammer here. And the phone number, too, if you have it.

Thanks.

Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Yolanda Nov 7, 2018

As I said before I had no other contact details but the email: [email protected]. I was under the impression that I shouldn't name names in here (even of potential scammers).

Regards,

Teresa

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Gmail + numbers Nov 7, 2018

The combination of a name and numbers in a gmail address is usually a pretty strong indication for scammers. This is confirmed by that person's unwillingness to share details about himself. All your red flags were waving, so you have every right to name the (potential) scammer.

Mirko Mainardi
Magdi AbdelWahed Fawzi Darwish Enaba
Ricki Farn
Liviu-Lee Roth

gayd (X)
gayd (X)
Silly habit Nov 7, 2018

Silly habit of naming scammers on this forum.
Of course, it's not the real name nor the right address.
Next time, his name will be Tom Jones.

[Modifié le 2018-11-07 16:28 GMT]

Mirko Mainardi
Italy
English to Italian
Silly? Nov 7, 2018

David GAY wrote:

Silly habit of naming scammers on this forum.
Of course, it's not the real name nor the right address.
Next time, his name will be Tom Jones.

[Modifié le 2018-11-07 16:28 GMT]

What's so "silly" about posting name and email address used in a scam, pray tell? On the contrary, if the scammer used them to send a number of emails to potential victims (as they probably did), having those details publicly posted somewhere might not be so "silly" for those who google for them while wondering if it is in fact a scam...

gayd (X)
gayd (X)
question Nov 7, 2018

Just a question: if you had the intention of scamming someone on internet,
would you give:
1) your (real) name
2) your address
3) your personal phone number

gayd (X)
gayd (X)
easy Nov 7, 2018

It would take me 5 minutes to create an email address
[email protected] and to send a message to you and sign it
Tom Jones

[Modifié le 2018-11-07 17:24 GMT]

Mirko Mainardi
Italy
English to Italian
Missing the point Nov 7, 2018

You're missing the point. These scammers usually fire salvos of identical messages to hundreds, if not thousands, of potential victims, and they obviously don't spend "5 minutes" creating a new email address for each of those messages, but use the same one for all of them...

That obviously IS a fake/throwaway address that will most probably be discarded after a while, but as I was saying, in the meantime having that address published somewhere could spare someone (especially those n
... See more
You're missing the point. These scammers usually fire salvos of identical messages to hundreds, if not thousands, of potential victims, and they obviously don't spend "5 minutes" creating a new email address for each of those messages, but use the same one for all of them...

That obviously IS a fake/throwaway address that will most probably be discarded after a while, but as I was saying, in the meantime having that address published somewhere could spare someone (especially those not familiar with scams) a nasty surprise, so, again, I don't see what's so "silly" about warning others...
Collapse

Yolanda Broad
Luximar Arenas Petty
Kevin Fulton
Michele Fauble
Roy Chacón
Liviu-Lee Roth
Yvonne Gallagher

gayd (X)
gayd (X)
an unlimited number of names and addresses can be used Nov 7, 2018

what matters is not the name or the email address of the scammer.
You can create an unlimited number of emails addresses and use any surname.

Knowing that Tom Jones is a scammer won't protect you against a scammer
pretending to be Barry White... I could create a fake profile on PROZ and pretend
to be a PROZ administrator. It's possible to create
an address such as [email protected] or any other addr
... See more
what matters is not the name or the email address of the scammer.
You can create an unlimited number of emails addresses and use any surname.

Knowing that Tom Jones is a scammer won't protect you against a scammer
pretending to be Barry White... I could create a fake profile on PROZ and pretend
to be a PROZ administrator. It's possible to create
an address such as [email protected] or any other address which is not already used.

There are thousands of scammers so it's not possible to identify them all. And they can also change
the name they use to scam you. The name of some freelancers on PROZ is even on the list of scammers published on internet...

[Modifié le 2018-11-07 19:06 GMT]

[Modifié le 2018-11-07 19:08 GMT]

[Modifié le 2018-11-07 19:18 GMT]
Collapse

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
crime prevention = common sense + due diligence + briefing Nov 7, 2018

I also see little use in publishing ever-generated emails and details, because there're countless multitudes of such.
Why, sometimes blacklisting is relatively useful, yet cons often hack and use legally-looking emails, leaving respected owners holding the bag...

That's why it's much better to learn how to tell scammers from [foreign] clients, and what to do not to fall another victim to confidence swindling and treacherous naïvety

Tradupro17
Tradupro17
United States
Local time: 02:48
English to Haitian-Creole
+ ...
not necessarily Nov 8, 2018

Thayenga wrote:

The combination of a name and numbers in a gmail address is usually a pretty strong indication for scammers. This is confirmed by that person's unwillingness to share details about himself. All your red flags were waving, so you have every right to name the (potential) scammer.

I disagree. My gmail address is a combination of name and numbers, but I am by no means a scammer.

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Usually Nov 12, 2018

Tradupro17 wrote:

Thayenga wrote:

I disagree. My gmail address is a combination of name and numbers, but I am by no means a scammer.

Usually says it all. This means that not every gmail address with a name/number combo comes definitely from a scammer.

[Edited at 2018-11-12 12:21 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Potential scammer

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »