Crystal Samples
Crystal Samples  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:01
French to English
+ ...
May 1, 2013

Hello everyone,

There is a scammer and identity thief by the (assumed) name of Charles Azzopardi who has been using my professional identity to assign translation jobs to unsuspecting translators and then not paying them. His latest one is a Dutch translation job that 2 translators have contacted me about through ProZ. Obviously, I did not assign this job and knew nothing about it, but I've learned that at least 1 translator translated 5000 words for him, and he will most likely not
... See more
Hello everyone,

There is a scammer and identity thief by the (assumed) name of Charles Azzopardi who has been using my professional identity to assign translation jobs to unsuspecting translators and then not paying them. His latest one is a Dutch translation job that 2 translators have contacted me about through ProZ. Obviously, I did not assign this job and knew nothing about it, but I've learned that at least 1 translator translated 5000 words for him, and he will most likely not be paid for it! ProZ has told me that they can do nothing other than put a note on my profile page about the fake email addresses he uses. Please look on my profile page for these email addresses before accepting any work from anyone claiming to be me.

I've also learned that on his introductory email to translators, he says that I am an ATA member (but I am not). Also, I rarely assign translation jobs (I can count on one hand the number of times I've done it) and almost never ones as large as the ones he is assigning. I am primarily a translator, not an outsourcer.

Please look out for this scammer. Contact me directly through my ProZ profile regarding any job assignments.

Thank you for your attention, and PLEASE be careful!

Kind Regards,
Crystal

[Edited at 2013-05-02 02:40 GMT]
Collapse

Marie-Helene Dubois
Marie-Helene Dubois  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 14:01
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Thanks May 2, 2013

for posting Crystal. Forewarned is forearmed as they say.
I would also warn translators to pay heed to any e-mails received from other translators who are native English speakers (such as Crystal) that are littered with spelling and grammatical mistakes. It is likely that the e-mail isn't from that person.

I've lodged a support ticket with proz on this subject and have also reported the e-mail as spam to my e-mail service provider. If enough people do this, the e-mail address
... See more
for posting Crystal. Forewarned is forearmed as they say.
I would also warn translators to pay heed to any e-mails received from other translators who are native English speakers (such as Crystal) that are littered with spelling and grammatical mistakes. It is likely that the e-mail isn't from that person.

I've lodged a support ticket with proz on this subject and have also reported the e-mail as spam to my e-mail service provider. If enough people do this, the e-mail address will be blocked which will at least serve to put a spanner in the scammer's works.
Collapse

NataliaAnne
NataliaAnne  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 09:01
Portuguese to English
Couldn't see the warning or email addresses May 2, 2013

Marie-Helene Dubois wrote:

...have also reported the e-mail as spam to my e-mail service provider. If enough people do this, the e-mail address will be blocked which will at least serve to put a spanner in the scammer's works.

This is a good idea but, when I went to Crystal’s profile, I couldn’t see the warning or the email addresses…?

Crystal Samples
United States
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
warning, email May 2, 2013

NataliaAnne wrote:

Marie-Helene Dubois wrote:

...have also reported the e-mail as spam to my e-mail service provider. If enough people do this, the e-mail address will be blocked which will at least serve to put a spanner in the scammer's works.

This is a good idea but, when I went to Crystal’s profile, I couldn’t see the warning or the email addresses…?

The warning is at the top of my Blueboard profile where it says "Note from Staff."

NataliaAnne
NataliaAnne  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 09:01
Portuguese to English
Warning on Blue Board May 2, 2013

Oh, I was looking at your profile page rather than the Blue Board! It could be worth including this information on your profile page as well, just in case anyone else makes the same mistake as me.

Thanks for letting us know about the scam.

beatrice haase
beatrice haase  Identity Verified
United States
English to French
+ ...
Charles Azzopardi May 3, 2013

I have worked with Charles for a long time and I am sure we must not be talking about the same person. Payments are on time and always honored.

Crystal Samples
United States
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
A "sometimes" thief May 3, 2013

beatrice haase wrote:

I have worked with Charles for a long time and I am sure we must not be talking about the same person. Payments are on time and always honored.

Hi Beatrice,

I'm sure we ARE talking about the same person. The thing is that he doesn't use my identity all the time; only when he doesn't intend on paying the translators. I'm sure he uses it when he has quoted the client a price so low that he cannot possibly pay himself AND the translators. So, he will just agree to whatever rate the translator wants (or maybe he will pretend to haggle with them. Who knows?), but he will use one of the fake email addresses and claim his company is Crystal Translation Services.

Then after the work is delivered he will cease communication with the translator, and in their desperation, they will try to contact "him/me" through the ProZ.com website. And I will be the one to receive the email and have to give some poor soul the sad news. It has happened several times since 2011, and over the years I've seen much proof that it is him. Contact Alphonse Assogo B., a translator based in Cameroon, through the ProZ site or Stefano Bruno, a translator based in Italy who can be contacted through his Linkedin page. They also know for certain that it is Mr. Azzopardi.

Best Regards,
Crystal

Marie-Helene Dubois
Marie-Helene Dubois  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Beatrice May 3, 2013

It is safe to assume that this is, as Crystal pointed out, an assumed name.
I received an e-mail from Crystal from a gmail address asking me for my availability for a job but it is clear that it wasn't actually from Crystal since when I contacted her, she hadn't herself sent the e-mail (the e-mail was also littered with errors).

If Charles does not know that his identity has been usurped, it might be worth letting him know. This practice appears to be rife and it is b
... See more
It is safe to assume that this is, as Crystal pointed out, an assumed name.
I received an e-mail from Crystal from a gmail address asking me for my availability for a job but it is clear that it wasn't actually from Crystal since when I contacted her, she hadn't herself sent the e-mail (the e-mail was also littered with errors).

If Charles does not know that his identity has been usurped, it might be worth letting him know. This practice appears to be rife and it is best for the person who is the victim of this to know because then they can at least mitigate the risks and contact clients, the police etc. etc.

Equally, just as a precaution, do check whenever you receive an e-mail from him that it is from the same e-mail address as usual.
Collapse

Kanako Fujiwara
Kanako Fujiwara  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2006)
Japanese to English
+ ...
Oops! May 6, 2013

Seems like I have just fallen a victim for the first time after years.

The email address this scum used is

Crystal Samples [[email protected]]

IP address

P Address 212.227.15.19
City Karlsruhe
State or Region Baden-Wurttemberg
Country Germany
ISP 11 Internet Ag
Latitude & Longitude 49.0310 8.4590
Domain gmx.net

The address this person gave me is;

Crystal Samples Translation
... See more
Seems like I have just fallen a victim for the first time after years.

The email address this scum used is

Crystal Samples [[email protected]]

IP address

P Address 212.227.15.19
City Karlsruhe
State or Region Baden-Wurttemberg
Country Germany
ISP 11 Internet Ag
Latitude & Longitude 49.0310 8.4590
Domain gmx.net

The address this person gave me is;

Crystal Samples Translation Services
Klosterstraße 66,
10179 Berlin,
Germany

[Edited at 2013-05-06 10:17 GMT]

PS
Crystal, no need to answer my inquiry. It's a pity I did not find your posting in time.

[Edited at 2013-05-06 13:20 GMT]

[Edited at 2013-05-06 18:44 GMT]
Collapse

cilantro
cilantro  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 15:01
Italian to English
+ ...
Has anyone bothered to contact the companies that received the translations? Jul 2, 2013

One way to definitively find the identity of the scammer is to contact the company/agency that originated the translation job. I assume this person is doing this for personal gain and not only for fun; so going after the financial trail is a sure way to put a stop to it.

Orrin Cummins
Orrin Cummins  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 21:01
Japanese to English
+ ...
I agree with cilantro Jul 2, 2013

Follow the money and you will find your scammer. Might be easier said than done but probably not impossible...just time-consuming.

cilantro
cilantro  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 15:01
Italian to English
+ ...
as seen in the news Jul 12, 2015

In the web of lies that counterfeiters weave — fake names, fake addresses, fake Internet domain registrations — one thing is always true: their bank account information.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SCAMMER: Charles Azzopardi/Crystal Samples

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »