How to calculate prize for book of short stories. It is my first literary translation project
Thread poster: Maria de los Ángeles Esteves
Maria de los Ángeles Esteves
Maria de los Ángeles Esteves  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 08:31
English to Spanish
+ ...
Mar 25

Hello,
I am new to this. A friend asked me to translate his book of short stories from Spanish (Argentinean) to English American. It is my first professional literary translation job apart from translations of my own literary works. It has 16.749 words in total. What would be a reasonable rate and time of delivery? I am willing to charge the absolute minimum since I have very little professional experience, but I might want to ask someone more experienced to check it before I deliver it.
... See more
Hello,
I am new to this. A friend asked me to translate his book of short stories from Spanish (Argentinean) to English American. It is my first professional literary translation job apart from translations of my own literary works. It has 16.749 words in total. What would be a reasonable rate and time of delivery? I am willing to charge the absolute minimum since I have very little professional experience, but I might want to ask someone more experienced to check it before I deliver it. Is this something that is usually done, and if yes, how much that person would want to be paid so I include it in the asking price?
Thank you in advance!
Angeles
Collapse

IrinaN
IrinaN
United States
Local time: 01:31
English to Russian
+ ...
American English Mar 25

A Spanish native living in Netherlands to undertake first literary translation into US English for a friend... Does your friend intend to sell the book in the US? Is it the first book? Self-publishing in mind?

Book translation is a grossly underpaid area in general, and often brings only 6-7 cents/word. How much below $1000 you are willing to go for a friend is up to you. It should be doable in a month considering a much slower pace for literary translation and lots of gobacks, but
... See more
A Spanish native living in Netherlands to undertake first literary translation into US English for a friend... Does your friend intend to sell the book in the US? Is it the first book? Self-publishing in mind?

Book translation is a grossly underpaid area in general, and often brings only 6-7 cents/word. How much below $1000 you are willing to go for a friend is up to you. It should be doable in a month considering a much slower pace for literary translation and lots of gobacks, but working for a 1000/month will not pay your bills so it would be better to spread it over 3-4 months to make ends meet in between.

I would suggest to start with translating a couple of pages and sending it to a serious professional editor native in US English... You can find a few good... humans here on Proz. Just pay for 1 hour of reading and quick feedback, ask for willingness to accept future editing, and rates. I can guarantee at least 60 and up to 80 dollars an hour (for a SERIOUS professional), or a drop dead minimum of 5 cents/word = $850 but no serious editor would accept per word pay for literary work unless you would entrust it into someone from the US but without any experience, also willing to accept minimum charge for "checking".

Literary translation does not get "checked", it gets edited in a full sense of the word. Even Tolstoy, Dickens and Mark Twain had editors

Mind it, I am not a member of "into native only" club but there are things to be considered in certain fields and under certain circumstances.
Collapse

Elizabeth Joy Pitt de Morales
P.L.F. Persio
Ester Vidal
Christine Andersen
Rosa Plana Castillón

Netherlands
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for your answer. Just a few more points Mar 25

Thanks Irina. Yes, I also have my doubts because I am not "native", but I lived in the USA for 10 years and did a MFA in Creative Writing. But yes, I know my limitations. It is a friend but the work is paid and it will be published in the USA, but I do not know the publishing house. And yes, an editor, not "checked", sorry for my ignorance.
If I take this is not to make a living. I make my living doing something else. So I was thinking that it would take me 3-4 months, and that is somethi
... See more
Thanks Irina. Yes, I also have my doubts because I am not "native", but I lived in the USA for 10 years and did a MFA in Creative Writing. But yes, I know my limitations. It is a friend but the work is paid and it will be published in the USA, but I do not know the publishing house. And yes, an editor, not "checked", sorry for my ignorance.
If I take this is not to make a living. I make my living doing something else. So I was thinking that it would take me 3-4 months, and that is something also for the publisher to consider. They want someone from Argentina or that knows "Argentinean" to translate it.
But I am also willing to recommend someone if I can find here the right person. I still didn't officially take the job. I am investigating in order to decide that. Sending a sample to an editor seems like a good idea.

IrinaN wrote:

Book translation is a grossly underpaid area in general, and often brings only 6-7 cents/word. How much below $1000 you are willing to go for a friend is up to you. It should be doable in a month considering a much slower pace for literary translation and lots of gobacks, but working for a 1000/month will not pay your bills so it would be better to spread it over 3-4 months to make ends meet in between.

I would suggest to start with translating a couple of pages and sending it to a serious professional editor native in US English... You can find a few good... humans here on Proz. Just pay for 1 hour of reading and quick feedback, ask for willingness to accept future editing, and rates. I can guarantee at least 60 and up to 80 dollars an hour (for a SERIOUS professional), or a drop dead minimum of 5 cents/word = $850 but no serious editor would accept per word pay for literary work unless you would entrust it into someone from the US but without any experience, also willing to accept minimum charge for "checking".

Literary translation does not get "checked", it gets edited in a full sense of the word. Even Tolstoy, Dickens and Mark Twain had editors

Mind it, I am not a member of "into native only" club but there are things to be considered in certain fields and under certain circumstances.
Collapse

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
. Mar 25

Has the book already been published in Spanish or not? Who will be paying you?

Thomas Johansson
Thomas Johansson  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 01:31
English to Swedish
+ ...
percentage? Mar 25

Would perhaps asking for a tiny percentage of the sales revenues (instead of a fixed rate/price based on word/volume) be adequate in this context? Or perhaps a fixed amount for every copy of the book that is printed or sold?

That way, the friend would not need to pay much or anything in advance, and the translator would have a bigger stake in the quality.

Netherlands
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
yes, a couple of years ago in Argentina. Mar 25

Kay Denney wrote:

Has the book already been published in Spanish or not? Who will be paying you?

Netherlands
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I will ask Mar 25

I don't know about this. I will have to ask.
Thomas Johansson wrote:

Would perhaps asking for a tiny percentage of the sales revenues (instead of a fixed rate/price based on word/volume) be adequate in this context? Or perhaps a fixed amount for every copy of the book that is printed or sold?

That way, the friend would not need to pay much or anything in advance, and the translator would have a bigger stake in the quality.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to calculate prize for book of short stories. It is my first literary translation project

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »