Transcription rates
Thread poster: Begoña Recaséns
Begoña Recaséns
Begoña Recaséns  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2020)
English to Spanish
Oct 10, 2023

Hello, does anyone know how to charge transcription jobs? I assume it is per minute, but I don't have any idea what the average rate is for this kind of job. Only transcription, not transcription + translation. I did it once, long time ago, and I remember it was very time-consuming. Any suggestion is more than welcome. Thanks a lot.

[Edited at 2023-10-10 13:54 GMT]

Helene Carrasco-Nabih
Helene Carrasco-Nabih  Identity Verified
Morocco
Local time: 16:02
Member (2018)
German to French
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Transcription rates: more than 1.50 EUR/min.? Oct 10, 2023

Hi Begoña,
Only yesterday I was proposed 1.50 EUR per minute for transcription by a translation agency based in India.
I suppose it's very low.
I'm not interested in transcription, so I deleted the offer (via PROZ).
Hope this helps.
Best regards,
Helene

Kristopher Brame
Kristopher Brame  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:02
Member (2018)
German to English
+ ...
The average rates for transcription can be quite low Oct 10, 2023

I mainly do subtitling, but I've done transcription from time to time. It usually takes 7-9 minutes to transcribe 1 minute of audio by hand. If I'm post-editing an AI transcript, it can take something like 2-4 minutes to transcribe 1 minute depending on how well the AI understood. You can use that to estimate an hourly rate. Also keep in mind, it is way more difficult if there are multiple speakers speaking over each other. That really slows you down.

Srini Venkataraman
Srini Venkataraman
United States
Local time: 10:02
Member (2012)
Tamil to English
+ ...
Transcription Oct 10, 2023

I used to do transcription +translation. But the agency wants 1)transcript 2)translation copies. If the interim transcript is not required then the output is much better. Transcript alone takes about 9-10 minutes per 1 audio minute in Tamil and Telugu, being inherently difficult compared to English typing. If translating directly, the output is still 8-9 minutes per minute. Based on my hourly rates, the minute rate is quoted. The latter is better option, as with translation, higher hourly rate i... See more
I used to do transcription +translation. But the agency wants 1)transcript 2)translation copies. If the interim transcript is not required then the output is much better. Transcript alone takes about 9-10 minutes per 1 audio minute in Tamil and Telugu, being inherently difficult compared to English typing. If translating directly, the output is still 8-9 minutes per minute. Based on my hourly rates, the minute rate is quoted. The latter is better option, as with translation, higher hourly rate is possible. So I gradually stopped doing, and will only do T+T directly,with no interim transcript.Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Transcription rates

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »