Inas Albaba
Inas Albaba  Identity Verified
Jordan
Local time: 22:58
English to Arabic
+ ...
Jul 6, 2023

Hi colleagues,
I received an opportunity to work on a transcreation project from English to Arabic.
I have previous experience in this service, but normally i am asked about my rate per word.
This company asked about rate per ad “headline, body copy , headline and body copy (print ad), and tagline”
And per script “up to 10, up to 20, up to 30, and up to 60”
So could you help how to charge for such service?

Peter Dahm Robertson
Peter Dahm Robertson  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 21:58
Member (2022)
German to English
+ ...
Hourly rate Jul 7, 2023

I have no experience with Arabic or related languages, or with your local market and rates, so someone else may have more helpful specifics. I have also never worked with scripts; only ads, articles, websites, word marks in fields in which I have some expertise (psychology, arts/culture/music, academia). If you specialize in other areas, my experience may not help you.

For my transcreation projects, I usually charge per hour worked—same rate for headline, body copy, title,
... See more
I have no experience with Arabic or related languages, or with your local market and rates, so someone else may have more helpful specifics. I have also never worked with scripts; only ads, articles, websites, word marks in fields in which I have some expertise (psychology, arts/culture/music, academia). If you specialize in other areas, my experience may not help you.

For my transcreation projects, I usually charge per hour worked—same rate for headline, body copy, title, tagline, etc. I then bill the hours I spend directly working on the text (not the hours during which I’m doing the dishes but my subconscious is still churning away at the general ideas of the text). Any extra time the client requires (for difficult communication, for additional changes after the fact) is billed at the same rate. If I made any significant changes or choices regarding the form of the text, I also usually include a little explanation with delivery, but I don’t generally include a work report unless the client has asked for it, or I am doing SEO work. If a client wants something very fast or over a weekend, there’s also a rush surcharge.

But again, what you specifically charge will depend on the market and on your financial planning.
Collapse

Björn Vrooman
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Inas Albaba
Lingua 5B

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 20:58
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Inas Jul 7, 2023

For transcreation, I charge either per hour or a set rate for the job as I can spend one or more hours on just a few words. I do charge a per-word rate for creative translation (just translating the marketing message behind the words). I never accept a job without having a good look at it first...

Inas Albaba

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 21:58
French to English
. Jul 7, 2023

I now charge a flat rate. I work out how much I would charge for a normal translation, and how much extra time I might need for transcreation and multiply that by my hourly rate, add the two figures and *round it up generously*.

The time needed will include time spent discussing the text with the client, so they can explain why they used this or that word, and how the words have previously been translated. It also includes time for follow-up, with the client nit-picking every other
... See more
I now charge a flat rate. I work out how much I would charge for a normal translation, and how much extra time I might need for transcreation and multiply that by my hourly rate, add the two figures and *round it up generously*.

The time needed will include time spent discussing the text with the client, so they can explain why they used this or that word, and how the words have previously been translated. It also includes time for follow-up, with the client nit-picking every other word. Because in my experience clients may ask for transcreation, but they actually like it when they can see that I've used X target language word to translate Y source language word, they feel lost when they can't see it. And bizarrely, the very turns of phrase that I feel best capture what the client is trying to say, and the turns of phrase that their native English readers will best relate to, are precisely the bits that make them feel uneasy.

If I sense that this might happen, I will offer to budget for the writing of an explanatory text so that they understand my transcreation choices.

In short, don't short yourself, it usually takes much longer than you think. AFAIC it's immensely enjoyable work but still, I could have romped through several thousand words of a run-of-the-mill translation in the time it takes to transcreate a paltry page or two, and I don't intend to lose money over it.

[Edited at 2023-07-07 15:23 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Rate for transcreation

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »