Belgium
Local time: 17:47
Member (2009)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Jan 15

See
https://www.bbc.com/news/business-67977967

Everbody who's able should flee the translation business as soon as possible.
It has never been great, translators have always been treated badly, now it's completely over.

David GAY
Gerard Barry
SandraV
conejo

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:47
Member (2008)
Italian to English
exhausted Jan 15

Peter Motte wrote:

See

It has never been great, translators have always been treated badly, now it's completely over.

So it's goodbye then, Peter.

Sorry to see you go.

Petra Silfverskiold
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Angie Garbarino
Becca Resnik
Philip Lees

Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
Strongly disagree Jan 15

Peter Motte wrote:

See

It was great, and now it is still possible to earn more money than other professions.

Becca Resnik
John Fossey

Lieven Malaise
Lieven Malaise
Belgium
Member (2020)
French to Dutch
+ ...
Reading Jan 15

It might be a good idea to actually read the article you are referring to. There is little to nothing in it that suggests that the translation ship has already sunk or is about to sink completely.

Angie Garbarino
polishedwords
P.L.F. Persio
Becca Resnik
Philip Lees

Arne Krueger
Arne Krueger
Germany
German to English
+ ...
The IMF... Jan 15

... should shut up. Nobody should listen to an institution that has a proven criminal track record.

I also do not think it is right, because they are projecting everything based on "models". How many economic models have failed in the past? Maybe they should question their own intellect before trying to frame a certain mindset (again).

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Quite so Jan 15

Lieven Malaise wrote:
There is little to nothing in it that suggests that the translation ship has already sunk or is about to sink completely.

Or that the IMF is a credible forecaster.

Dan

Lieven Malaise
Angie Garbarino
P.L.F. Persio
Becca Resnik
Philip Lees
Chris Spurgin

Inge Schumacher
Inge Schumacher  Identity Verified
France
Member (2023)
French to German
+ ...
AI in language industry shouldn't be underestimated Jan 15

I personally think that AI is going to make it more and more difficult for translators to find (decently paid) work! In the fairly near future, the only role which will be left for human translators is revision/editing of machine translated content.

I already work quite a lot on AI training (mainly LQA), and even if there is still a long way to go before LLM (LargeLanguageModels) become (almost) perfect, it's coming.

More and more companies/organizations are tempted by
... See more
I personally think that AI is going to make it more and more difficult for translators to find (decently paid) work! In the fairly near future, the only role which will be left for human translators is revision/editing of machine translated content.

I already work quite a lot on AI training (mainly LQA), and even if there is still a long way to go before LLM (LargeLanguageModels) become (almost) perfect, it's coming.

More and more companies/organizations are tempted by AI to reduce costs:
https://slator.com/albania-wants-to-use-chatgpt-to-eliminate-army-of-translators-eu-bid/

It's clear that AI is going to be a real threat for workers. I think nowadays it's better to be a skilled manual worker/craftsman rather than an "intellectual".

[Bearbeitet am 2024-01-15 13:54 GMT]

[Bearbeitet am 2024-01-15 16:42 GMT]
Collapse

Christopher Schröder
monica.m
Jorge Payan
Peter Motte
David GAY
Gerard Barry
conejo

Zea_Mays
Zea_Mays  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
How LLMs and AI got where they are today Jan 15

Inge Schumacher wrote:
I already work quite a lot on AI training

Tom in London
P.L.F. Persio
Joe France
Slobodan Kozarčić
Becca Resnik
Christel Zipfel

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
I've saved you all a lot of time. I asked ChatGPT to deal with this. Jan 15

Q. Is AI going to kill off the translating profession?

A. AI and machine translation have indeed advanced significantly in recent years, and they are increasingly capable of providing accurate translations in many languages. However, it's important to note that while AI can be a valuable tool for translation, it is unlikely to completely replace human translators.

Language is complex and nuanced, involving cultural context, idiomatic expressions, and subtle nuances that
... See more
Q. Is AI going to kill off the translating profession?

A. AI and machine translation have indeed advanced significantly in recent years, and they are increasingly capable of providing accurate translations in many languages. However, it's important to note that while AI can be a valuable tool for translation, it is unlikely to completely replace human translators.

Language is complex and nuanced, involving cultural context, idiomatic expressions, and subtle nuances that machines may struggle to fully grasp. Human translators bring not only linguistic expertise but also cultural understanding and context to their work. They can interpret the meaning behind words, understand the emotions conveyed, and adapt the translation to effectively communicate the intended message.

Moreover, certain domains, such as legal, medical, and technical translations, require a high level of precision and domain-specific knowledge that AI may not possess. Human translators often specialize in these areas and can provide a level of expertise that goes beyond the capabilities of machine translation.

While AI can be a powerful aid, the translating profession is likely to evolve rather than disappear. The role of human translators may shift towards more complex and creative tasks, including post-editing machine-generated translations, ensuring cultural sensitivity, and handling specialized content where human expertise is crucial. The collaboration between human translators and AI tools is likely to be the key to achieving the best results in translation.

Then I said

Now please argue with that reply. It said:

While I provided a perspective emphasizing the continued importance of human translators, it's worth noting some arguments that suggest AI could eventually have a more significant impact on the translating profession:

Efficiency and Speed: AI-driven translation tools can process vast amounts of text in a short time, providing quick and efficient translations. This speed can be a considerable advantage in scenarios where a large volume of content needs to be translated rapidly, which may be challenging for human translators to match.

Cost-Effectiveness: AI-driven translation tools can be more cost-effective for certain types of translations, particularly when dealing with straightforward and repetitive content. This cost advantage could lead businesses to prefer AI solutions for certain tasks, potentially reducing the demand for human translators in those specific areas.

Continuous Improvement: Machine learning algorithms improve over time as they are exposed to more data. AI translation models can continuously refine their understanding of languages and context, potentially reaching a point where they can handle more complex linguistic and cultural nuances, reducing the need for human intervention.

Accessibility: AI-driven translation tools can democratize access to translation services, making them more widely available to individuals and businesses that might not have the resources to hire professional human translators. This increased accessibility could lead to a shift in the translation landscape.

Integration with Other Technologies: AI translation can be seamlessly integrated with other emerging technologies like real-time communication tools, facilitating instant language translation during conversations. This integration might make AI-driven solutions more attractive for certain applications.

It's essential to recognize that the impact of AI on the translating profession is nuanced and depends on various factors, including the nature of the content, the required level of accuracy, and the specific domain. While AI is advancing rapidly, human translators may find new roles that leverage their unique abilities alongside AI technologies. The coexistence and collaboration between humans and AI could shape the future of translation services.

[Edited at 2024-01-15 14:12 GMT]

Ok you can all carry on now with whatever you were doing.

[Edited at 2024-01-15 14:13 GMT]
Collapse

P.L.F. Persio
Dan Lucas
Inge Schumacher
Philip Lees

Inge Schumacher
France
Member (2023)
French to German
+ ...
How LLMs and AI got where they are today Jan 15

I've been on the freelance market for ONE YEAR only.

It certainly wasn't ME who got us all to where we are today!

Tony Keily

Inge Schumacher
France
Member (2023)
French to German
+ ...
@Tom Jan 15

Tom said: I've saved you all a lot of time. I asked ChatGPT to deal with this.

Tom,

If you read my comment a bit more carefully, you would see that I'm not saying that human translators have NO FUTURE in the world of AI!
But our role is going to change, that's obvious.

Tony Keily

Renate Radziwill-Rall
Renate Radziwill-Rall  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
job sources Jan 15

Hello,
earlier, most of the jobs available were published on proz. There are less and less now. Im am asking why? What sources for jobs are there?

Christopher Schröder
David GAY
Inge Schumacher

Michele Fauble
Michele Fauble  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:47
Member (2006)
Norwegian to English
+ ...
Get Ready for the Great AI Disappointment Jan 15

“In the decades to come, 2023 may be remembered as the year of generative AI hype, where ChatGPT became arguably the fastest-spreading new technology in human history and expectations of AI-powered riches became commonplace. The year 2024 will be the time for recalibrating expectations.”
<
... See more
“In the decades to come, 2023 may be remembered as the year of generative AI hype, where ChatGPT became arguably the fastest-spreading new technology in human history and expectations of AI-powered riches became commonplace. The year 2024 will be the time for recalibrating expectations.”

https://www.wired.com/story/get-ready-for-the-great-ai-disappointment/
Collapse

Inge Schumacher
writeaway
Dan Lucas
Becca Resnik
Recep Kurt
P.L.F. Persio
Chris Spurgin

Inge Schumacher
France
Member (2023)
French to German
+ ...
@Michèle Get Ready for the Great AI Disappointment Jan 15

You are so right, Michèle. All this excitement and enthusiasm is going to cool down.

As I mentioned before, I work quite a lot on AI training and I see a lot of crap! Sometimes very hilarious (at least for me) crap.

[Bearbeitet am 2024-01-15 16:55 GMT]

writeaway
Chris Spurgin

Slobodan Kozarčić
Slobodan Kozarčić  Identity Verified
Serbia
Member (2016)
English to Serbian
+ ...
She is actually Jan 15

Zea_Mays wrote:

Inge Schumacher wrote:
I already work quite a lot on AI training

diligently shooting herself in the foot.

Zea_Mays
monica.m
Tanja Oresnik
Peter Motte
Anna Sarah Krämer
SandraV

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

AI to hit 40% of jobs and worsen inequality, IMF says

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »