Thread poster: Gerard de Noord
Denis Fesik
Denis Fesik
Local time: 07:04
English to Russian
+ ...
Tech companies want to create people who will keep buying it Apr 16, 2022

Brian Joyce wrote:

The A.I program is shown millions of images and then told to make one itself. But without any basic understanding of aesthetics, or humour or anything human, A.I. art is a garbled mass of amateur junk that serves nothing.
Coming back to the "pattern recognition" comments in previous posts in this thread, humans and A.I work by pattern recognition, but only a human can impose an "aesthetic hierarchy" on the patterns it sees.
To the A.I, it's just another image and no matter how many calculations A.I can make, without a basic "need" for art, A.I art will always be worthless.

They want to see us transformed into creatures who can't see the difference between human and machine translations, or between a masterpiece painting and something generated by AI. They have made some progress indeed, but still have a lot of ground to cover. I saw a post where they advertised AI-driven websites that would take in any text and paraphrase it to create something unique (supposed to provide tools for people who make a living writing texts that sell). I tested some of them, and they were all garbage. They couldn't paraphrase even a simple text without changing meanings and breaking connections in it. I have been wondering if it were possible to train a neural network so it would recognise the main terms and translate them uniformly within a project while doing its advanced neural network thing on the rest of the text. My company did a lot of work in that direction, all to no avail. AI doesn't know what context is. If this pretty simple task were solved, a lot of freelancers who can't do their job properly would become jobless. I imagine taking in a big project, developing bilingual terminology for it (no, AI can't do it, I'll have to do it myself), feeding it to AI and then working on the output. That would be nice, a lot better than receiving bits and pieces translated by a crowd of freshman-level freelancers who didn't even communicate with each other when translating. But even that is still impossible.

Anyway, we do have to take AI as a challenge to all humankind. One futurologist said that, until quite recently, the only super-challenge we had to face was that of death, and the work done to address it was what made us a civilisation. COVID times have shown that we're no longer a civilisation because we have no bigger-than-life things left (we still have label words for them, but the things themselves are no longer there), so we're fussing over the here and now, full of fear and anxiety. Times are coming when we'll have three super-challenges to face: death, the Leviathan (or the state), and AI. What we do about them will determine if we can stand up to those challenges and become a civilisation of a higher order or just keep sinking into a pre-civilised state. No one promised it will be easy

P.L.F. Persio
Brian Joyce

Philippe Locquet
Philippe Locquet  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 05:04
English to French
+ ...
Worth looking at Apr 19, 2022

Worth looking at
Check this article:
https://custom.mt/no-human-in-the-loop/
It shows what many want to become a reality: MT-Only translated content. This obviously will have a high-percentage of error-ridden content. Using this method means having the content published nearly instantly, but, here we’re talking about WHO and EFSA, so, the need for accuracy is high. Time will t
... See more
Worth looking at
Check this article:
https://custom.mt/no-human-in-the-loop/
It shows what many want to become a reality: MT-Only translated content. This obviously will have a high-percentage of error-ridden content. Using this method means having the content published nearly instantly, but, here we’re talking about WHO and EFSA, so, the need for accuracy is high. Time will tell how people will react to this content and if this project is ready for prime.
…………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………….
Extra: The following sentence is to be proofread by Tom In London:
“Allowe uss too choose beefore wee loose”
😉
Collapse

Christopher Schröder
expressisverbis
P.L.F. Persio
Sabine Braun

Denis Danchenko
Denis Danchenko  Identity Verified
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
Translation as the state of mind or 'modus operandi'... Apr 27, 2022

employed to decode and communicate more meaning - with fewer words. By contrast, AI/MT seems to do exactly the opposite - considering the ambiguity, contextuality and redundancy of the matter (language) it's applied to.
MT has not been impressive in my field [Automotive] that is presumably an 'easy game' for the beast.
Rather, it always comes down to pragmatic writing skills and controlled use of language/terminology.

P.L.F. Persio
expressisverbis

0,021 € per word Apr 28, 2022

My first professional translation dates from 1982.
Today 28-04-2022 I was offered a rate of 0.021 per word for technical translations.

Tom in London

Zolboo Batbold
Zolboo Batbold  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 06:04
Member (2021)
English to Mongolian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
The problem is not AI, it is transhumanism Apr 28, 2022

With internet of things, revolution 4.0, robotics, AI etc. it seems as if the global elites are aiming to robotize everything. From a holistic approach, transhumanism plays a big role in all this. The global elites seem to think that androids are the final stage in the human evolution. I have an impression that we are moving to that direction. Not only translators but many other jobs may disappear in the future. Replaced by robots, AI, you name it. We are contributing to this without realizing.

Sadek_A
Sadek_A  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:04
English to Arabic
+ ...
I reiterate! Apr 28, 2022

Setulio Santoro wrote:
My first professional translation dates from 1982.
Today 28-04-2022 I was offered a rate of 0.021 per word for technical translations.

https://www.proz.com/forum/poll_discussion/357292-poll_what_is_your_average_daily_capacity_for_translation.html#2954161

*** Exaggerations give clients the wrong ideas, make them think that translation is an easy task and that translators make millions of dollars every quarter.

#keepitrealTRANSLATORS

-----
Wait, everyone, until you see the hard, fast and frequent blows agencies will take!!!

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
You lose Apr 28, 2022

P.L.F. Persio wrote:

Tom, you know I love you to bits

Nonsense. You don't even know me.

P.L.F. Persio
P.L.F. Persio  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2010)
English to Italian
+ ...
Fair enough, but ... Apr 28, 2022

Tom in London wrote:

P.L.F. Persio wrote:

How about: the image you project of yourself (admittedly, a pale shadow of what you really are) makes me think that – if I ever met you and learnt to know you – I'd like you very much. I'm aware the feeling might not be mutual, but there you go.

expressisverbis

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
To come back to topic: Fancy ... Apr 29, 2022

P.L.F. Persio wrote:

Tom in London wrote:

P.L.F. Persio wrote:

How about: the image you project of yourself (admittedly, a pale shadow of what you really are) makes me think that – if I ever met you and learnt to know you – I'd like you very much. I'm aware the feeling might not be mutual, but there you go.

... this dialogue when AI becomes real "I" (= intelligent per se, and not only artificial): Will then the intelligent translation machines fall in love with each other, and if so, here on proz, too? Or do we already witness such love here, between a (rainy) cloud based translation system called TiL, a.k.a. the "translation love machine", and the true Italian translation system called P.L.F., who has been wrongly programmed on been attracted already by "bits" (see above), which are the smallest technical units in IT, as we all know with our world knowledge as (human) translators. The above dialogue then reminds me of a scene in "Blade Runner", but I don't remember which one.

Evgeny Sidorenko
Christopher Schröder
P.L.F. Persio
expressisverbis

P.L.F. Persio
P.L.F. Persio  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2010)
English to Italian
+ ...
In the Director's cut? Apr 29, 2022

Matthias Brombach wrote:

The above dialogue then reminds me of a scene in "Blade Runner", but I don't remember which one.

Matthias Brombach
expressisverbis

Gerard de Noord
Gerard de Noord  Identity Verified
France
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Was I right or was I wrong? Apr 21, 2023

Gerard de Noord wrote:

Don’t plan to study European languages to become a commercial translator. By the time you’ve finished, AI will have taken over. The same goes for interpreters: only top summits and peace negotiations will still require human translation.

Study European languages for other reasons but not to make a living as a commercial translator.

I’ve been in the business for more than twenty years, so just take my word for it.

Cheers,
Gerard

Was I right or was I wrong? Try to formulate a scientific answer.

Cheers,
Gerard

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
As has been pointed out many times before... Apr 21, 2023

Gerard de Noord wrote:
Was I right or was I wrong? Try to formulate a scientific answer.

...we have no industry-level data stronger than anecdote on which to base an opinion.

Not that it stops us holding forth, mind.

Dan

P.L.F. Persio

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Consider the consequences of AI before you start a career in translation Apr 22, 2023

to be realistic: you should consider the consequences of AI before you start a career in ANYTHING. Translation, medicine, banking, engineering, travel, journalism, media, the law...all the professions and service industries. Some careers may still be possible in areas that require hands-on physical abilities: fitness coaching, fixing broken machines, installing electrical systems, horse racing, etc. If I were a 17 year old today, thinking where I'd want to go, I would be looking for an area of ... See more
to be realistic: you should consider the consequences of AI before you start a career in ANYTHING. Translation, medicine, banking, engineering, travel, journalism, media, the law...all the professions and service industries. Some careers may still be possible in areas that require hands-on physical abilities: fitness coaching, fixing broken machines, installing electrical systems, horse racing, etc. If I were a 17 year old today, thinking where I'd want to go, I would be looking for an area of work that has a future.Collapse

Sabine Braun
Dan Lucas
Lingua 5B
Lieven Malaise
David GAY
Mariusz Kuklinski

Baran Keki
Baran Keki  Identity Verified
Türkiye
English to Turkish
Oldest profession in the world Apr 22, 2023

Tom in London wrote:
Some careers may still be possible in areas that require hands-on physical abilities... If I were a 17 year old today, thinking where I'd want to go, I would be looking for an area of work that has a future.

I don't think ChatGPT will ever be able to replace this one. They tried real dolls, virtual reality, various other tools and gadgets.... Two hundred years hence people will still brave STDs...
So food for thought for 17 year olds today...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oldest_profession_(phrase)#:~:text=The%20oldest%20profession%20in%20the,until%20after%20World%20War%20I.

Christopher Schröder

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Natural aptitude will still have a say Apr 22, 2023

Tom in London wrote:
Some careers may still be possible in areas that require hands-on physical abilities

Plumbing FTW 👍

The problem is that ability in the trades and other lines of work, such as mechanics, is just as much a matter of natural aptitude as it is in, say, translation or mathematics. I passed a building site earlier this morning where they have been doing some bricklaying. That's an example of a deceptively difficult skill.

I guess it's possible for anybody to learn the basics, but customers will gravitate towards those suppliers who are very good at what they do, rather than those who are simply adequate.

For my part I found woodwork quite absorbing when I studied it at school but I was hopeless at it. Very few people seemed to be fluent in fields that require both cognitive skills and physical (for want of a better word) skills.

It does seem to me that freelance translators tend to think that theirs is the only profession under threat from technology, but it really isn't. As Tom says, it affects everything, and has been doing so for decades.

Dan

Tom in London

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9] >

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Consider the consequences of AI before you start a career in translation

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »