Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
How much do you rely on MT (and CAT tools in general) for your work?
Thread poster: Daniel Santana
Lorena Croci
Lorena Croci  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 16:35
English to Italian
It depends from the MT May 3, 2022

Personally, I don't like MTs as they are sometimes more time consuming than a real translation, but it depends from MT's output quality.

I use MTs only for some agencies that asks for MTPEs jobs and usually they use their own MTs. I find them really useful only when their output is based on TMs and termbases created with previously human translated documents.

For sure, I'd never use MT for marketing texts nor medical texts.

Christine Andersen
expressisverbis

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 16:35
French to English
. May 3, 2022

jyuan_us wrote:

You can ask how much you would reply on MT, but the question of how much you would "rely on" CAT tools hardly make any sense. You either use a CAT tool on every project, or use no CAT tool at all.

Why on earth would you say that? It may be true for you but it is very much not true for me!

I use MemoQ on certain projects from an agency who lends me a licence to complete the work. And I shelled out for Trados because another agency (who wouldn't lend me a licence) said the only reason I wasn't given first refusal for all projects from their Very Prestigious Client was because I didn't have Trados. Once I got Trados, they started giving me a lot more work, and very interesting work at that (and they pay very promptly too). Fair enough.

When I'm not forced to use CAT tools by an agency, I don't touch them with a barge pole, because there is no point using them to translate descriptions of artwork for exhibitions, or the sleeve notes of CDs and the vast majority of other jobs that I get.

One of my direct clients is an artist, I translate stuff for her website and Instagram posts. For her most recent translation, she lifted a few sentences from previously translated texts. She took the main point and then shuffled the information around to the point that a CAT tool would likely not have matched anything.
For some of those sentences, I didn't recall translating those ideas previously, and started from scratch. Half-way through, I got a feeling of déjà vu and started searching my previous translations. I came across a little nugget that I had already translated a second time... but then I realised that the translation I had just come up with was much better than what I had put previously a few years ago, so I didn't bother to use my previous translation. .
So my client got a good translation, and was able to improve a file that was already published on her website. She paid me before I had even issued the bill, and actually rounded my fee up instead of paying the exact sum I had put in her estimate, so I get the impression she was very happy with what I did.

Christopher Schröder
Baran Keki
Daniel Santana
Rachel Waddington

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
No MT May 3, 2022

OP: The degree of reliance on MT will generally be in proportion to the age of the translator and whether the texts they translate are intended for publication.

I suppose it boils down to whether your priority is making a living, or enjoying making a living.

Daniel Santana
expressisverbis

Baran Keki
Baran Keki  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 17:35
English to Turkish
'Luddites' & MT-haters will be hanged, drawn and quartered May 3, 2022

Kay Denney wrote:
because another agency (who wouldn't lend me a licence) said the only reason I wasn't given first refusal for all projects from their Very Prestigious Client was because I didn't have Trados. Once I got Trados, they started giving me a lot more work, and very interesting work at that (and they pay very promptly too). Fair enough.

Sounds like no-brainer. I wouldn't think twice about pulling the trigger on Studio at such a prospect.

Daniel Santana
Daniel Santana  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:35
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Agree May 3, 2022

Samuel Murray wrote:

For offline CAT tools, this is unusual. I strongly believe that authors of such videos do the industry (and new translators) a disservice if they use machine translation as a normal part of the video. Although many translators do use machine translation, it is not yet the standard way of using offline CAT tools.

I agree. I posted that question because I assumed MT was industry standard. Despite not being against it, I prefer to translate without MT. As I said before, though, I am new to translation, so I can't speak out of experience; this is just personal preference.
Now that I think about it, however, they probably are using MT as part of the demo just to showcase what the software is capable of. However, I think they shouldn't focus the whole video on that.

expressisverbis
Christine Andersen

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How much do you rely on MT (and CAT tools in general) for your work?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »