Alan Wang  Identity Verified
Chiny
Local time: 10:16
angielski > chiński
+ ...
科技知识基础 Jul 9, 2012

ysun wrote:

没有足够的科技知识基础,英语再好也不一定能翻好这类资料。

有科技知识基础当然好了。我想至少会让人说话起来有点逻辑吧,呵呵。不会出现使用google search出了错或没有用心,或是以为这个地方较简单而未多费时使用google search因而出了错,也都归于google search 不可信!。这里好像有些人就在下这个结论。
现在想来,这个weight loss scale, 可能是未认真地使用google search而出的问题。这个问题可以归入掉以轻心问题。
当然其他人绝对不会出现掉以轻心的问题,it just doesn’t happen. I’m sure you in particular are never wrong.

Alan Wang
Chiny
angielski > chiński
+ ...
明显高于 Jul 9, 2012

ysun wrote:
最后有位同事说了句“英国人的语言明显高于dumont”。

我的回答应该是这样:I have given so much weight to each and everyone’s comments that I lost track of who has said what. Would you think it’s possible that you can couch your comments in English, so that we can better appreciate your message?

I think that’s a minimum / reasonable request, don’t you?

[Edited at 2012-07-09 23:24 GMT]

Alan Wang
Chiny
angielski > chiński
+ ...
Not me Jul 9, 2012

It certainly isn’t google search engine that’s the problem, if a mistake like that occurs, we can only blame ourselves for failing to make an enough effort.
One doesn’t forsake taking nourishments because he gets choked on a mouthful of rice. Not me, Never!

wherestip
wherestip  Identity Verified
USA
Local time: 21:16
chiński > angielski
+ ...
Staying on Topic Jul 10, 2012

Alan Wang wrote:

It certainly isn’t google search engine that’s the problem, if a mistake like that occurs, we can only blame ourselves for failing to make an enough effort.
One doesn’t forsake taking nourishments because he gets choked on a mouthful of rice. Not me, Never!

But Alan, speaking of choking, IMO a person with near-native English speaking ability would never have made the mistake of saying "failing to make an enough effort".

Just thought I'd let you know. But please take it or leave it.

Alan Wang
Chiny
angielski > chiński
+ ...
Staying on topic Jul 10, 2012

Indeed, that's one of the reasons that we've got you.
and thank you for enlightening me on this.
failing -> failed
Right?

wherestip wrote:
But Alan, speaking of choking, IMO a person with near-native English speaking ability would never have made the mistake of saying "failing to make an enough effort".

wherestip
USA
chiński > angielski
+ ...
the typical way of saying this Jul 10, 2012

Alan Wang wrote:

failing -> failed
Right?

wherestip wrote:

No. It should be "failing to make a good enough effort", or "failing to make enough effort".

Alan Wang
Chiny
angielski > chiński
+ ...
Got it, thanks! Jul 10, 2012

wherestip wrote:
No. It should be "failing to make a good enough effort", or "failing to make enough effort".

Alan Wang
Chiny
angielski > chiński
+ ...
and speaking of staying on topic Jul 10, 2012

The problem, if I may venture, is a cultural one as much as anything else. I don’t think that’s something that can be ironed out in the foreseeable future.
To have more natives competent in Chinese language to take over in c/e translation, they need to be really interested in learning the language. How to get them that much interested?
Confucius?
No, I don’t think Confucius is even relevant in today’s world.
I think this is as much a problem as that of how the
... See more
The problem, if I may venture, is a cultural one as much as anything else. I don’t think that’s something that can be ironed out in the foreseeable future.
To have more natives competent in Chinese language to take over in c/e translation, they need to be really interested in learning the language. How to get them that much interested?
Confucius?
No, I don’t think Confucius is even relevant in today’s world.
I think this is as much a problem as that of how the economies compare with each other where you get the low price issues.
Probably it’s just me thinking this way.
Collapse

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
USA
angielski > chiński
+ ...
逻辑 Jul 10, 2012

Alan Wang wrote:

ysun wrote:

没有足够的科技知识基础,英语再好也不一定能翻好这类资料。

有科技知识基础当然好了。我想至少会让人说话起来有点逻辑吧,呵呵。不会出现使用google search出了错或没有用心,或是以为这个地方较简单而未多费时使用google search因而出了错,也都归于google search 不可信!。这里好像有些人就在下这个结论。
现在想来,这个weight loss scale, 可能是未认真地使用google search而出的问题。这个问题可以归入掉以轻心问题。
当然其他人绝对不会出现掉以轻心的问题,it just doesn’t happen. I’m sure you in particular are never wrong.

谁说的 “google search 不可信" ?谁说的你就找谁去嘛。这才合乎逻辑。说什么“这里好像有些人就在下这个结论”?“好像”不等于事实吧?事实是:我只说过 "Google 并非是包治百病的灵丹妙药"。

具有科技知识基础的人不是不用 Google,而是天天用。只不过他们用 Google 不是盲目的,而是有一定方向、一定目标的,而且他们会将获得的结果加以分析,去伪存真。关于失重称量法,我很清楚是怎么回事,本来根本就用不着去 Google。这一帖里的示意图是从我手头参考书里扫描下来的。
http://www.proz.com/post/1090708#1090708

当时为了便于向别人解释,我还用 Google 搜索了一些例子供大家参考。我并非永远正确,但我相信在失重称量法这个问题上,我是正确的。如果你还想继续讨论“失重称量法”,就请上那儿去:
http://www.proz.com/forum/chinese/129475-一个英国人的汉译英试译(以此接得某大项目).html

Alan,

不要以为我总与你过不去。我从来就没把你当作竞争对手,将来也永远不会。

[Edited at 2012-07-11 00:34 GMT]

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
USA
angielski > chiński
+ ...
Forum's designated language Jul 10, 2012

Alan Wang wrote:

ysun wrote:
最后有位同事说了句“英国人的语言明显高于dumont”。

我的回答应该是这样:I have given so much weight to each and everyone’s comments that I lost track of who has said what. Would you think it’s possible that you can couch your comments in English, so that we can better appreciate your message?

I think that’s a minimum / reasonable request, don’t you?

[Edited at 2012-07-09 23:24 GMT]

Alan,

I don't think that’s a minimum/reasonable request. In fact, I answered your question a long time ago:
http://www.proz.com/post/1298180#1298180
ysun wrote:

dumont -- wrote:

It is still not too late. I really hope he can show up and comment, in English, on the failings in my translation, and the goodness he sees in the other.

I will thank him, I promise.

论坛规则并未强行规定在中文论坛必须用英语发言。当然,对于英语为母语者或真正英语水平高的同仁在中文论坛用英语发言,我也决无异议。 不过我建议,能用中文更好表达自己的同仁最好不要用别人难以看懂的英语发言。如果想秀一下自己使用德语、法语、西班牙语或其它语言的能力,也最好到相应论坛去秀。 那样也许效果会更好,说不定还能“以此接得某大项目”。 ;)

http://www.proz.com/siterules/forum/7#7
A forum's designated language should be used. A working language is defined for each forum, and this language should be used to the extent possible when posting. Where not otherwise specified, English is the working language.

[Edited at 2010-01-08 00:56 GMT]

Therefore, clifts doesn’t have to use English in that discussion. If English is your preferred language, this is the perfect place to be:
http://www.proz.com/forum/prozcom_suggestions/227485-should_“native_language”_claims_be_verified.html

[Edited at 2012-07-10 01:28 GMT]

James_xia
James_xia  Identity Verified
Chiny
angielski > chiński
+ ...
Google及其在线搜索 Jul 10, 2012

ysun wrote:

"Google 并非是包治百病的灵丹妙药"。

具有科技知识基础的人不是不用 Google,而是大量地用。只不过他们用 Google 不是盲目的,而是有一定方向、一定目标的,而且他们会将获得的结果加以分析,去伪存真。

我个人对ysun的观点挺有同感的。对于传统翻译方式来说,互联网实际上是一场革命。它根本上改变了传统翻译的模式、视界和成本等等,提供了前辈译家没有机会接触到的种种优势。Google的机器翻译和在线搜索功能,相比其他类似工具,确实更为强大,也更具有参考价值。

尽管如此,如果母语是中文而非英语/其他外语的人,要借助Google完全实现接近非中文母语的表达水平,也是不容易的。也许可以这么理解:译者本身的语言水平越高,他/她越能更好利用Google;他/她的科技知识了解越多时,就更有能力判明Google翻译和在线搜索提供的信息完整性和正确性。

nigerose
nigerose  Identity Verified
Chiny
chiński > angielski
+ ...
同意 Jul 10, 2012

James_xia wrote:

我个人对ysun的观点挺有同感的。对于传统翻译方式来说,互联网实际上是一场革命。它根本上改变了传统翻译的模式、视界和成本等等,提供了前辈译家没有机会接触到的种种优势。Google的机器翻译和在线搜索功能,相比其他类似工具,确实更为强大,也更具有参考价值。

尽管如此,如果母语是中文而非英语/其他外语的人,要借助Google完全实现接近非中文母语的表达水平,也是不容易的。也许可以这么理解:译者本身的语言水平越高,他/她越能更好利用Google;他/她的科技知识了解越多时,就更有能力判明Google翻译和在线搜索提供的信息完整性和正确性。

google只是工具,尽管是非常了不起的工具。
要用google进行语言研究,使用者本身要充分掌握该语言的词汇学和语法学。
每门学科(不仅限于科技,也包括文科)都是成体系的,掌握该门学科知识体系和术语的人,在进行google搜索时更能触类旁通、辨伪取真,效率也更高。

Peng Liu
Peng Liu
Australia
Local time: 12:16
chiński > angielski
+ ...
还是母语轻松些 Jul 10, 2012

对绝大多数翻译而言,从外语翻译到自己的母语都比相反方向更加容易,澳洲翻译评审机构NAATI的资料中建议希望通过考试拿澳证书的人首先参加从英语翻译到其母语的考试。对中国学生而言,阅读是强项,读懂难度较大的英语不是问题,理解后用自己的母语写出来自然轻松许多。我在近9年前参加NAATI考试,从英语到中文,高分通过,4年前鼓起勇气参加中文到英文考试,刚刚到及格线,一分不多,一分不少,运气好得让自己都后怕。
从我自己的经验看,做从中文翻译到英文的工作还不至于说是欺骗,但感到吃力是明显的,我在澳洲学习生活了11年,阅读量相当大,但由于本人非英语专业出身,英文写作还是感到不能得心应手。
还是那句话,欺骗谈不上,用心用功才是根本。

Rita Pang
Rita Pang  Identity Verified
Kanada
Local time: 22:16
Członek ProZ.com
od 2011

chiński > angielski
+ ...

Moderator tego forum
Dropping by..... Jul 10, 2012

wherestip wrote:

Alan Wang wrote:

failing -> failed
Right?

wherestip wrote:

I'd say failing to make enough effort. "A good enough effort" pending on the phrase before might sound redundant. I go by the KISS rule- Keep it short and simple, unless for aesthetic reasons.

wherestip
USA
chiński > angielski
+ ...
being concise has its merits sometimes Jul 10, 2012

Rita Pang wrote:

wherestip wrote:

Alan Wang wrote:

failing -> failed
Right?

wherestip wrote:

I'd say failing to make enough effort. "A good enough effort" pending on the phrase before might sound redundant. I go by the KISS rule- Keep it short and simple, unless for aesthetic reasons.

Yes, if it were up to me, I would have just said "... failing to make an effort".

Stron w wątku:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

什么是母语?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »