Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 11:07
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Dec 6, 2022

So, just to rant, here's my current problem.

The client "helpfully" used machine translation to pre-translate some parts of the file.

XTM then somehow (I suspect) added some of those pre-translated segments to the TM (this wasn't my doing).

Now, when I remove a machine translation and replace it with "asdf", then move to the next page, and then move back, my "asdf" has been replaced by the machine translation again, IF the text contains tags. This me
... See more
So, just to rant, here's my current problem.

The client "helpfully" used machine translation to pre-translate some parts of the file.

XTM then somehow (I suspect) added some of those pre-translated segments to the TM (this wasn't my doing).

Now, when I remove a machine translation and replace it with "asdf", then move to the next page, and then move back, my "asdf" has been replaced by the machine translation again, IF the text contains tags. This means that if the text doesn't have tags, I can safely replace it with "asdf" and it will remain "asdf", but if the text contains tags, and I replace it with "asdf" and attempt to confirm the segment, XTM removes the "asdf" and puts the machine translation back.... AND marks the segment as confirmed.

I have no way of telling which of the "confirmed" segments are my translations and which ones are unedited machine translations. And since this is an online tool, I can't remove the incorrect translations from the TM (so that they don't propagate), and there is no option in XTM to "remove all translation" i.e. to empty out all target fields.

But it's all my fault. I should not accept XTM jobs.
Collapse

Hege Jakobsen Lepri
Álvaro de Marcos Peirotén
Hans Lenting

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
More woes Dec 6, 2022

So, it turns out that XTM doesn't auto-propagate translations into segments that already have content, even if those segments are not confirmed. This means that where repetitions are concerned, my correct translations are not propagated into the pre-translated machine-translated segments. I get paid for 5000 words but the job has 25000 words... due to all the repetitions, but the repetitions don't propagate because the segments are pre-translated with machine translations.

And mor
... See more
So, it turns out that XTM doesn't auto-propagate translations into segments that already have content, even if those segments are not confirmed. This means that where repetitions are concerned, my correct translations are not propagated into the pre-translated machine-translated segments. I get paid for 5000 words but the job has 25000 words... due to all the repetitions, but the repetitions don't propagate because the segments are pre-translated with machine translations.

And more: sometimes, it auto-propagates a fuzzy match, but there is no way of knowing that it propagated a fuzzy match or an exact match. This means that even if I know that a translation is mine (the machine translation uses familiar form of address; I use polite form of address), I can't trust it. And I've even encountered CONFIRMED unedited fuzzy matches (these are of my own translations, but I did not confirm them)!

[Edited at 2022-12-06 19:18 GMT]
Collapse

Hege Jakobsen Lepri

Hege Jakobsen Lepri
Hege Jakobsen Lepri  Identity Verified
Norway
Member (2002)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
I cannot for the life of me understand the current surge in use of XTM Dec 6, 2022

Translation is slower and it's harder to maintain a decent quality than most up to date CAT tools.

Elena Feriani
Anton Konashenok
Alessandra Torriani

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Speed issues Dec 6, 2022

Hege Jakobsen Lepri wrote:
Translation is slower...

If you go to the general settings, you can choose to display fewer segments at a time. This has a dramatic effect on the responsiveness.

Álvaro de Marcos Peirotén
Álvaro de Marcos Peirotén  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
Same happening to me Jan 15

Hello Samuel,

This has happened to me today exactly as you describe it.

Did you find a solution to this issue?

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Alas Jan 15

Alas, I just had to accept it.

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

XTM replaces my translation with MT

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »