Auteur du fil: Stanislaw Czech, MCIL CL
Per Riise (X)
Per Riise (X)  Identity Verified
Norvège
Local time: 06:02
anglais vers norvégien
+ ...
XTM for Mac users Aug 11, 2011

Just made the switch from Trados to XTM Cloud. So far, it seems like the best thing I've done in ages. As an OS X user, I had to rely on virtualization to be able to use Trados, and I've been looking for an alternative for a looooong time, discarding Wordfast Pro, Heartsome and similar applications in the process. XTM Cloud is pretty intuitive, once you rid yourself of the Trados mindset, and, for a web based interface, it's pretty snappy. QA is not as extensive as in some of the most popular CA... See more
Just made the switch from Trados to XTM Cloud. So far, it seems like the best thing I've done in ages. As an OS X user, I had to rely on virtualization to be able to use Trados, and I've been looking for an alternative for a looooong time, discarding Wordfast Pro, Heartsome and similar applications in the process. XTM Cloud is pretty intuitive, once you rid yourself of the Trados mindset, and, for a web based interface, it's pretty snappy. QA is not as extensive as in some of the most popular CAT tools, but it works, and the concordance and suggestion tools available seem to work better for me, than the ones offered in Trados Studio. File conversion is not foolproof, but their support is very helpful. It takes a little time to set all the parameters associated with each client, but once it's done, it's very easy to create projects. Word count / analysis and progress measuring is easier and faster than in Trados Studio! It supports all the file formats that I work with (and many more) - Microsoft Office, InDesign, XML, and HTML, as well as XLIFF and TTX for those who rely on agencies sending out Trados formats.

In summary, performance is fast, no stability issues so far (knock on wood), and usability is different, but definitely not harder than Trados/SDLX......I think I just got myself a new CAT tool.
Collapse

Rox-Edling
Rox-Edling
Allemagne
espagnol vers allemand
+ ...
Have you ever tried ...? Aug 22, 2011

Some months ago an agency wanted me to proof a text in XTM. I just found it terrifyingly slow and not very handsome. If anybody woul ask me to translate something in XTM, I would not do it.

Indeed XTM has the advantage of being accessible from anywhere, surely the future of most applications we use today. I do not know the number of clients XTM has, but I assume that server capacities are not broad enough (and how about the "acid test" with - let's say - a 40.000 words' doc or a TM
... See more
Some months ago an agency wanted me to proof a text in XTM. I just found it terrifyingly slow and not very handsome. If anybody woul ask me to translate something in XTM, I would not do it.

Indeed XTM has the advantage of being accessible from anywhere, surely the future of most applications we use today. I do not know the number of clients XTM has, but I assume that server capacities are not broad enough (and how about the "acid test" with - let's say - a 40.000 words' doc or a TM with > 50.000 segments?)

But have you ever tried memoQ (officially supported in Parallels) or Swordfish (if you do not want to use a VM - it is much better than Heartsome)? In my humble opinion, both offer the best solutions for translators on a Mac.

Best regards

Torsten
Collapse

Thomas Carey
Thomas Carey  Identity Verified
français vers anglais
+ ...
Soon to try it... Dec 1, 2011

Hi all!
I will soon try the version of XTM cloud. At the moment I am trying MemoQ's trial version. What's really interesting with XTM is the price. With MemoQ, after the first year there is a 20% annual fee for updates and support (app. €120/year). So, including the initial fee for MemoQ I could probably use XTM for over 5 years before spending that much using XTM. The question I have is: are other CATs such as MemoQ or Trados really a lot more performant?

Pages sur ce sujet:   < [1 2]

Aucun modérateur n'est spécifiquement affecté à ce forum
Pour rapporter des violations des règles du site ou pour obtenir de l'aide, veuillez contacter l'équipe du site »

XTM Cloud - has anyone used it?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »