European doctors face GMC language check

This discussion belongs to Translation news » "European doctors face GMC language check".
You can see the translation news page and participate in this discussion from there.

Mark
Mark
Local time: 23:00
Italian to English
It’s rather hard to believe that this is a real issue Nov 19, 2013

I mean, we’ve had foreign doctors coming to the UK for decades; how can this issue only have been addressed now? It would obviously be a serious problem if doctors’ language skills were inadequate.

I like the "moving to the UK from Europe" line…

liz askew
liz askew  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:00
Member (2007)
French to English
+ ...
perhaps not a serious problem Nov 24, 2013

However, this is an issue, and like a lot of issues it takes an age to be dealt with.

Patients need to understand what health professionals are saying to them, so any health professional coming to the UK needs to speak good, clear English. The same would be true for a health professional going to work in France from say the UK, their French would need to be of good quality and understandable to the French inhabitants.

As an interpreter, understanding what is being said by
... See more
However, this is an issue, and like a lot of issues it takes an age to be dealt with.

Patients need to understand what health professionals are saying to them, so any health professional coming to the UK needs to speak good, clear English. The same would be true for a health professional going to work in France from say the UK, their French would need to be of good quality and understandable to the French inhabitants.

As an interpreter, understanding what is being said by anybody is of paramount importance.
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
And UK doctors? Nov 24, 2013

liz askew wrote:
...so any health professional coming to the UK needs to speak good, clear English.

And health professionals who were born in the UK, don't they also need to speak good, clear English? Or would they be exempt from that requirement? Do all UK residents understand all accents from other parts of the UK?

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Puzzled Nov 24, 2013

Mark Dobson wrote:

Since the UK is part of the European continent, and a full member of the European Union, I'm puzzled how anyone can "move to the UK from Europe".

[Edited at 2013-11-24 13:04 GMT]

Miguel Carmona
Miguel Carmona  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:00
English to Spanish
Is it a mosquito or an insect? Nov 24, 2013

Tom in London wrote:

Puzzled

Mark Dobson wrote:

Since the UK is part of the European continent, and a full member of the European Union, I'm puzzled how anyone can "move to the UK from Europe".

This reminds me of the old lady who ran the boarding house where I lived when I was a student in Mexico City. When telling the story of an old acquiantance she had in the past, she said, "I do not remember whether she lived in New York or in the United States".

liz askew
liz askew  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2007)
French to English
+ ...
And UK doctors Nov 24, 2013

This is a red-herring as the subject of the article is health professionals coming from outside the United Kingdom.

If you want the English of people born or who are residents of the United Kingdom to be checked, you will need to mount your own campaign through the necessary channels.

Mary Georgina Hardinge
Mary Georgina Hardinge  Identity Verified
Spain
They always used to have to pass an exam Nov 27, 2013

In the 1970s (before I moved abroad), I know that foreign doctors in the UK had to pass an exam that tested them not only on standard English but also on slang expressions and euphemisms for parts of the body used in different parts of the country, which were explained in a wonderful booklet. I hope this means it'll be updated and reissued.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

European doctors face GMC language check

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »