Thread poster: TB CommuniCAT
TB CommuniCAT
TB CommuniCAT  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 09:22
English to French
Jun 24, 2014

Hello,

I would like to know if anyone has applied to ATIO recently and what are your thought? ie. The process, the entrance exam and the exam for certification? Also, has anyone taken the on-dossier route?

Thank you in advance.

Michel A.
Michel A.  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
English to French
+ ...
Par l'OTTIAQ Jun 24, 2014

Bonjour,

Personnellement, j’ai obtenu la certification ATIO dans le cadre d’un accord réciproque avec l’OTTIAQ (avec, à la clé, une réduction de 50 % sur la cotisation); quant à l’OTTIAQ, j’ ai effectivement obtenu la certification « sur dossier » (je ne suis plus très sûr, mais, si je me souviens bien, il s’agissait essentiellement de justifier d’un certain nombre d’années de pratique et d’envoyer des textes à des fins d’évaluation).

Michel

TB CommuniCAT
Canada
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Merci Jun 25, 2014

Merci Michel!

Je profite également de l'occasion pour transmettre le message aux autres traducteurs qui sont dans les environs de Toronto. Apparemment, on peut subir l'examen à Toronto aussi. Donc, on n'a pas besoin de se déplacer à Ottawa.

[Edited at 2014-06-25 15:37 GMT]

Rita Pang
Rita Pang  Identity Verified
Canada
Member (2011)
Chinese to English
+ ...

Able to prove X years of full-time work Jun 25, 2014

I've looked into ATIO application procedures myself. If I recall correctly, one of the things that I am not currently able to obtain is being able to prove that I've worked for X number of years in the full-time capacity. For my clients, since I freelance, I work for all of them on a part-time basis. Maybe unless I start working as a PM or something then I'll be able to get this one under my belt.

Ewa Olszowa
Ewa Olszowa  Identity Verified
Canada
Polish to English
+ ...
Full time experience Jun 25, 2014

Rita,
The translation experience is calculated in words.
1 year of full time translation equals to about 30 000 words (for foreign languages; it is higher for official languages, I think 100 000).
Thus, you need to provide letters, contracts, anything that would prove how many words you translated.
Regards,
Ewa

TB CommuniCAT
Canada
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
something to look into..... Jun 25, 2014

Rita,

The fact that you are an ATA member, I wonder if ATIO would be able to "waive" some of their criterias for you. Something to look into maybe?

Rita Pang
Rita Pang  Identity Verified
Canada
Member (2011)
Chinese to English
+ ...

Oh, good to know Jun 26, 2014

Ewa, TBC,

Those are all good points to note. I was not aware of the word count thing- I always thought it was calculated in years. In that case I should be able to meet the word count criteria. If something were to come out of this investigation I'll be sure to post here and share my experiences.

Best,
Rita

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
NancyLynn[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Apply to ATIO

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »