Could not save file: USER_DATA.INI / Could not save file: DEFAULT.RPF / Could not save file NXT01_01
Thread poster: Gillian Shaw (X)
Gillian Shaw (X)
Gillian Shaw (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:55
Member (2017)
French to English
+ ...
Feb 4, 2022

I wonder if anyone can make any suggestions to help me with a basic installation of TransitNXT?

I'm installing TransitNXT version 4.0 SP14 Build 2092.5 using the full installer on Windows 10 Version 21H2
I've disabled: Microsoft Windows - Virus & threat protection - Virus & threat protection settings - Real-time protection (setting is off)
I've disabled: Microsoft Windows - Virus & threat protection - Virus & threat protection settings - Controlle
... See more
I wonder if anyone can make any suggestions to help me with a basic installation of TransitNXT?

I'm installing TransitNXT version 4.0 SP14 Build 2092.5 using the full installer on Windows 10 Version 21H2
I've disabled: Microsoft Windows - Virus & threat protection - Virus & threat protection settings - Real-time protection (setting is off)
I've disabled: Microsoft Windows - Virus & threat protection - Virus & threat protection settings - Controlled folder access (setting is off)

Windows software is fully up-to-date and I always perform a full reboot before any software changes (I also close all applications before installing anything)

Ran the inst_transitnxt.exe as 'Administrator'
Installation appeared to be successful. No errors reports. Microsoft Windows did not identify any security threats (thanks to me turning off the above, otherwise it did!)

Ran the Transit NXT from the Windows Start Menu
The logo appears
You then can't continue because nothing happens
Except! Another process on the Windows Task Bar appears with the same icon as Transit. Selecting it does nothing, it seems hidden behind the non-movable logo. However the 'peak' of the process, on the Windows Task Switch dialogue (ALT-TAB) shows the image of the process as "Transit- Could not save file: DEFAULT.RPF". If you press enter, the process closes and allows Transit to continue.
The same problem then happens for another dialogue which shows "Transit- Could not save file: USER_DATA.INI". Pressing ok again allows the Transit to continue

The Project selection screen comes up (after previously press ok the license expiry warning)
Then press OK to select 'Last project opened: DEFAULT (Global)'

Transit then 'properly' opens, the main program dialogue appears with the toolbar showing 'Project, Statistics, Edit, Processing etc.'
However another dialogue pops up showing "Transit- Could not save file: USER_DATA.INI" and then another "Transit- Could not save file: DEFAULT.RPF"
Then the Transit docked windows 'Source Fuzzy, Terminology and Markup' appear.
Then selecting from the menu Transit-Exit Transit shows a dialogue "View preference file 'NXT01_01' has been changed. Save?"
Press Yes, then shows another dialogue "Could not save file NXT01_01.TVD"
This is then followed by another "Transit- Could not save file: DEFAULT.RPF"

So, it seems my installation is not healthy after all.

Transit NXT errors on startup

DEFAULT.RPF does not exist on my PC
NXT01_01.TVD does not exist on my PC (though C:\Users\Public\Documents\Transit NXT\config\global\NXT01_01.TVD.copy does!)
USER_DATA.INI does not exist on my PC
(Directory listing of C:\Users\Public\Documents directorylisting)

I have full access to the folder C:\Users\Public\Documents\Transit NXT\

The https://www.proz.com/forum/transit_support/211358-could_not_save_file_user_dataini.html entry isn't helpful

I think the problems I have are critical and I presume they prevent me from using the software. If it can't start-up or shutdown properly, then I can't see how it can operate when I actually want to use it to do something.

This is a simple, straightforward installation using all default settings, on a Windows 10 PC setup 'very default' like. There's nothing special or complex going on here.

I have even tried running Transit NXT as 'Administrator' from the Microsoft Windows Start-menu (right click-run as Administrator) and this makes no difference
I have also tried running this program in compatibility mode, as a Window 8 program, but that doesn't work either.
I have performed a complete uninstallation, reboot, and a full re-installation. Still no difference.

Does anyone have any suggestions please?
Collapse

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
C:\Transit Feb 5, 2022

Try to install in C:\Transit.

Screen Shot 2022-02-05 at 09.51.56

Gillian Shaw (X)
Gillian Shaw (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:55
Member (2017)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Solved (via workaround) Feb 8, 2022

The problem is resolved via a workaround of creating a folder manually using Windows Explorer
I created a folder 'Gillian Shaw' here:
C:\Users\Public\Documents\Transit NXT\config\users\Gillian Shaw

This folder name matched the entry in C:\Users\Public\Documents\Transit NXT\config\users\USERS.INI which contained the following contents:
[{DE879124-7E6E-40CC-AC20-9ACAF8377AE5}]
ShortName=Gill
LongName=Gillian Shaw
DataPath=Gillian Shaw\

... See more
The problem is resolved via a workaround of creating a folder manually using Windows Explorer
I created a folder 'Gillian Shaw' here:
C:\Users\Public\Documents\Transit NXT\config\users\Gillian Shaw

This folder name matched the entry in C:\Users\Public\Documents\Transit NXT\config\users\USERS.INI which contained the following contents:
[{DE879124-7E6E-40CC-AC20-9ACAF8377AE5}]
ShortName=Gill
LongName=Gillian Shaw
DataPath=Gillian Shaw\

See the DataPath (I think) needs to match the name of the folder I created under C:\Users\Public\Documents\Transit NXT\config\users\
There was/is no need to install into anything other than the default folders the setup program wants to use

Hope this helps someone else!
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maya Gorgoshidze[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Could not save file: USER_DATA.INI / Could not save file: DEFAULT.RPF / Could not save file NXT01_01

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »