Fritschie
Fritschie
France
Local time: 19:38
French to German
+ ...
Jan 12, 2022

Hello,

I am trying to use the Transit plugin for Trados Studio, but after having opened a Transit package, I cannot open the file because Transit renames the source file with a .FRA (for French) or .DEU (for German) and I get an error message saying "Windows cannot open this type of file (.FRA)".
Do you know how I can solve this issue?
I renamed the source and target file in the Transit package on my computer, but apparently this doesn't affect their name in Trados. <
... See more
Hello,

I am trying to use the Transit plugin for Trados Studio, but after having opened a Transit package, I cannot open the file because Transit renames the source file with a .FRA (for French) or .DEU (for German) and I get an error message saying "Windows cannot open this type of file (.FRA)".
Do you know how I can solve this issue?
I renamed the source and target file in the Transit package on my computer, but apparently this doesn't affect their name in Trados.

Thanks a lot for your help!
Collapse

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 20:38
English to Russian
Trados, Transit or Windows? Jan 12, 2022

Do you work with Trados or Transit? If Trados, then why "Transit renames". And why don't you post your question in Trados thread? Also, the message "Windows cannot open this type of file" means that you are trying to open a file in Windows, but not in Trados (or Transit?, I am not sure...).

Despite the thread name, I assume that you work with Trados. If so, you should use Trados user interface to open Transit packages, not Windows. Could you please describe the steps you take
... See more
Do you work with Trados or Transit? If Trados, then why "Transit renames". And why don't you post your question in Trados thread? Also, the message "Windows cannot open this type of file" means that you are trying to open a file in Windows, but not in Trados (or Transit?, I am not sure...).

Despite the thread name, I assume that you work with Trados. If so, you should use Trados user interface to open Transit packages, not Windows. Could you please describe the steps you take before you get the error.

*Try these instructions

[Edited at 2022-01-12 20:57 GMT]
Collapse

expressisverbis

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
General procedure Jan 12, 2022

1. Transit packages contain files ending with a 3-letter language code, e.g. filename.FRA or filename.DEU.
2. When you open a Transit package in Trados, Trados converts those files into its internal format filename.FRA.sdlxliff or filename.DEU.sdlxliff accordingly.
3. You translate the .sdlxliff files and then create a return Transit package where filename.FRA.sdlxliff or filename.DEU.sdlxliff get converted back to filename.FRA or filename.DEU.
That's it.

*From
... See more
1. Transit packages contain files ending with a 3-letter language code, e.g. filename.FRA or filename.DEU.
2. When you open a Transit package in Trados, Trados converts those files into its internal format filename.FRA.sdlxliff or filename.DEU.sdlxliff accordingly.
3. You translate the .sdlxliff files and then create a return Transit package where filename.FRA.sdlxliff or filename.DEU.sdlxliff get converted back to filename.FRA or filename.DEU.
That's it.

*From what you describe, your procedure somehow involves Windows and your attempts to open filename.FRA or filename.DEU in Windows. However this action is not supposed if you follow the designed procedure.

[Edited at 2022-01-12 21:17 GMT]
Collapse

expressisverbis
Jorge Payan

Fritschie
Fritschie
France
French to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Specifications to my question Jan 13, 2022

Thanks a lot for your quick answers.
I am working in Trados Studio 2017 with the Transit Plugin.
I can open the Transit package, but when I try to open the file that's in the package I see an error message "Windows cannot open this type of file (.FRA)":

On my computer, I see in the project's folder 3 folders and one file:
"de-DE" with two files: XYZ_docx.FRA and XYZ_docx.DEU
"fr-FR" with a file ending on XYZ_docx.FRA
"StarTransitMetadata"
.sdl
... See more
Thanks a lot for your quick answers.
I am working in Trados Studio 2017 with the Transit Plugin.
I can open the Transit package, but when I try to open the file that's in the package I see an error message "Windows cannot open this type of file (.FRA)":

On my computer, I see in the project's folder 3 folders and one file:
"de-DE" with two files: XYZ_docx.FRA and XYZ_docx.DEU
"fr-FR" with a file ending on XYZ_docx.FRA
"StarTransitMetadata"
.sdlproj file

I guess that the trouble comes from the files with the language codes in their names (docx.FRA and docx.DEU) as these are not recognized as a Word file - what they are. But what can I do to resolve this problem?

When opening the Transit package, I had to select a template. I selected "Default", is this correct?

Thanks a lot for your help!
Collapse

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Local time: 18:38
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
If I understood it right Jan 13, 2022

You have to open the .sdlproj (the Project Package) file here:

Capturar

The screenshot was taken from Trados Studio 2020, but you will find the same option in 2017 Trados Studio version.
The package contains already those files you indicate.
On the other hand, please try this:

SDL Trados Studio
When you try to double-click any of the SDL Trados Studio file types (*.sdlppx, *.sdlrpx, *.sdlproj, *.sdltm, *.sdlxliff, *.stppk, *.wsxz, and so on) to launch them directly in SDL Trados Studio, you receive the following message:

Windows can't open this file: (...)

https://gateway.sdl.com/apex/communityknowledge?articleName=Error-message-when-trying-to-open-SDL-Trados-Studio-related-file-types-Windows-cannot-open-this-file

I hope it helps you!

[Edited at 2022-01-13 18:07 GMT]

[Edited at 2022-01-13 18:10 GMT]

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Not exactly Jan 13, 2022

There is a separate menu for Transit packages in Projects view:
2022-01-13_214123Fritschie, have you seen the instructions?
Also, can you please share a screenshot of your Files view with your package files?
Can you see there something like this?
pastedimage1594231044135v2

[Edited at 2022-01-13 19:23 GMT]

expressisverbis
Jorge Payan

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Jan 13, 2022

Fritschie wrote:
I guess that the trouble comes from the files with the language codes in their names (docx.FRA and docx.DEU) as these are not recognized as a Word file - what they are.

The source file is MS Word. When you import a source file into a CAT tool, the CAT tool converts the source file into its internal format.
Transit converts filename.docx into filename.docx.fra and filename.docx.deu.
Trados converts filename.docx into filename.docx.sdlxliff in source folder and filename.docx.sdlxliff in target folder (same filenames but different files).
Then you work in your CAT tool, Transit or Trados, with those internal files.
Once you are done with your translation, Transit converts filename.docx.deu (target file) back to filename.docx, while Trados converts filename.docx.sdlxliff (target file) back into filename.docx.
This is how the two CAT tools work with MS Word source files.

In your case, the source file for Trados is not DOCX, but the files converted by Transit into its internal format, i.e. filename.docx.FRA and filename.docx.DEU. Trados treats those files exactly the same way as described above: it converts filename.docx.FRA and filename.docx.DEU into filename.docx.FRA.sdxliff and filename.docx.DEU.sdlxliff accordingly. If you don't have the files with SDLXLIFF extension in your folders, it means that you have not opened the Transit package in Trados yet. You mentioned that you could open the Transit package but you never mentioned how exactly you opened it. What do you exactly do to open the Transit package. Do you open it from Windows Explorer or from Trados?

[Edited at 2022-01-13 19:26 GMT]

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Local time: 18:38
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Thanks again, Stepan! Jan 13, 2022

Stepan Konev wrote:

There is a separate menu for Transit packages in Projects view:

One more thing I didn't know

I don't work with Transit for a very long time! I used to work with the software itself (without an interoperability with other CAT tools), by using mainly files for translation and not packages.
I'm outdated

Stepan Konev

Fritschie
Fritschie
France
French to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Problem solved Jan 19, 2022

Thanks a lot for your answers.

I found the reason:
Go to "Project Settings", then "File Types", then activate "Transit bilingual documents"!!! Now the files are recognized as Transit files

Cheers,

Christina

Stepan Konev

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Thank you for taking the time to return with solution Jan 19, 2022

Thank you for sharing the solution.
It may save time and nerves for somebody else in the future.

Hans Lenting

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maya Gorgoshidze[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Transit plugin for Trados

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »