Opening/unpacking a .txf in Transit NXT
Thread poster: Mike Hindley
Mike Hindley
Mike Hindley
Local time: 18:41
German to English
May 13, 2009

Hi,

I have recieved a load of files from a client to translate using Transit. Normally this would be in the form of a .pxf which is usually no trouble to open. However, the client has sent a .txf and all the language pairs along with the smaller files from the working folder. I am not sure why s/he has done this and s/he is out of the office till the morning.

If I try to unpack the .txf an error appears saying that a project "XXX" does not exist. If I create a project w
... See more
Hi,

I have recieved a load of files from a client to translate using Transit. Normally this would be in the form of a .pxf which is usually no trouble to open. However, the client has sent a .txf and all the language pairs along with the smaller files from the working folder. I am not sure why s/he has done this and s/he is out of the office till the morning.

If I try to unpack the .txf an error appears saying that a project "XXX" does not exist. If I create a project with this exact name the same error occurs.

My other technique was to open a file sent by the client which was a .prj "Open project with Transit NXT" file. Once double clicked on from Win Explorer it opens a project in NXT (surprise surprise) with the language pairs available to see but they cannot be opened, with a "Cannot find..." error coming up. If I copy all the language pairs and other working files sent by the client into my working project folder Transit tells me it "Cannot open the file XXX"

I have asked the cleint to send a .pxf tomorrow but does anybody have any idea what is going on?

Thanks in advance,

Mike.
Collapse

Mike Hindley
Mike Hindley
Local time: 18:41
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Fixed it May 15, 2009

To cut a long story short you cannot manually create a project in Transit NXT by manually placing files from Transit XV into the correct project folders becasue the .prj files are different. It has taken me about a whole day to find his out.

You need to use a PXF.

Transit XV and NXT are therfore not 100% compatible in the strictest sense so if you want to work on a project in NXT that was created in XV you need to have a PXF sent to you.

hinkul
hinkul
Local time: 20:41
German to Russian
Transit NXT Nov 28, 2009

Hi Mike

May I ask you where you got your copy of Transit NXT? I am looking for it for a long time and cannot get prices from STAR. Do you have Pro version? My email is [email protected]
Vladimir

Mike Hindley wrote:

To cut a long story short you cannot manually create a project in Transit NXT by manually placing files from Transit XV into the correct project folders becasue the .prj files are different. It has taken me about a whole day to find his out.

You need to use a PXF.

Transit XV and NXT are therfore not 100% compatible in the strictest sense so if you want to work on a project in NXT that was created in XV you need to have a PXF sent to you.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maya Gorgoshidze[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Opening/unpacking a .txf in Transit NXT

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »