Thread poster: OTMed (X)
OTMed (X)
OTMed (X)
Poland
Local time: 22:40
English to Polish
+ ...
Oct 19, 2007

Just wanted to share a trick I recently learned.

First off, we use ftp + Total Commander quite a lot. What we all found particularly frustrating is that the connection is automatically terminated and dropped after some 2-3 mins of inactivity. On an average day this means around a hundred(?) re-connects and numerous, never ending boring journeys through the same directory folders ever and ever again. I looked up all kinds of fora, how-to sites etc., and even send a desperate email to
... See more
Just wanted to share a trick I recently learned.

First off, we use ftp + Total Commander quite a lot. What we all found particularly frustrating is that the connection is automatically terminated and dropped after some 2-3 mins of inactivity. On an average day this means around a hundred(?) re-connects and numerous, never ending boring journeys through the same directory folders ever and ever again. I looked up all kinds of fora, how-to sites etc., and even send a desperate email to the developer of TC, with not much of a success.

One way of preventing this would be to prevent the server itself from disconnecting, but probably a fair share of us has no access rights and/or skills to do so. I don't, so I tried experimenting with the client (Total Commander). None of the standard built-in commands (NOOP, PSWD etc.) worked for my server, but I noted that repeated CTRL+R-ing prevented the server from disconnecting. From the TC log I knew that the CTRL+R sends LIST commands to the server.
The rest was simple. I replaced the standard command NOOP with LIST and set up TC to LIST the server every minute or so and it stopped disconnecting. A quick step by step is CTRL+F>Select your connection>Edit>”Send command to keep connection alive>type LIST; Send interval every>type e.g. 44 s). The connection stays on beautifully! No more re-connecting and digging down deep in folders!

Not sure if this hint will be useful for all of you, but I decided to post it as I think there is quite a lot of translators out there who ftp on every day basis and probably quite a share uses Total Commander.

Hope it works for you, too.

Best, Greg
Collapse

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
Local time: 22:40
English to German
+ ...
Great sharing thank you... Oct 20, 2007

I used total commander about 3 years ago, had similar troubles and shifted to wsftp. On the server side I have noticed one could change the session timeout, idle reconnect sequences etc., but most of my clients do not really care about such issues. Best regards, Brandis

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Preventing the ftp server from disconnecting - How To

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »