Need a MIF file with Polish alphabet
Thread poster: Aleksandr Okunev (X)
Aleksandr Okunev (X)
Aleksandr Okunev (X)
Local time: 00:30
English to Russian
Feb 8, 2005

Hi everyone,
I am having a lot of headache trying to help a client to transfer text in Polish from Word to English Frame Maker. I have a small program capable of mapping FM fonts (wrote it myself) but I cannot make a Polish MIF on my system.
Please, those who have FM, type entire Polish alphabet, capitals and lowercase in a blank FM document, save as MIF and sent to me --- nemadeka [at] accurussian.net
Thanks in advance!
The program I was speaking about is freeware, avail
... See more
Hi everyone,
I am having a lot of headache trying to help a client to transfer text in Polish from Word to English Frame Maker. I have a small program capable of mapping FM fonts (wrote it myself) but I cannot make a Polish MIF on my system.
Please, those who have FM, type entire Polish alphabet, capitals and lowercase in a blank FM document, save as MIF and sent to me --- nemadeka [at] accurussian.net
Thanks in advance!
The program I was speaking about is freeware, available from my site.
Stay well!
Alex
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 23:30
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Sorry, but why don´t you use Windows Codepage 1250? Feb 8, 2005

It works (with a limitation for only one, very rare used character) with Framemaker.
Save in Word as RTF, import it to Frame and select "Arial CE" as default font. Or in import File select "Copy into document", "Microsoft RTF", click "Convert", chose "REtain source formatting". This must do the trick.

Regards
Jerzy

BTW
This topic is better placed in "Software applications" - so I´m moving it there.

[Edited at 2005-02-08 18:36]

Aleksandr Okunev (X)
Aleksandr Okunev (X)
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
Could you point me to a tut? Feb 8, 2005

Thanks, Jerzy
Did as advised, but with the same results as with ordinary copy/paste. The same happens when I paste nice Polish text from Word into notepad: all language specifica characters are replaced with their standard Latin mates.
I suspect I am missing a couple of fundamental things about DTP and codepage conversion...
Do you know a place on the net where I could spend a couple of hours reading?
Stay
... See more
Thanks, Jerzy
Did as advised, but with the same results as with ordinary copy/paste. The same happens when I paste nice Polish text from Word into notepad: all language specifica characters are replaced with their standard Latin mates.
I suspect I am missing a couple of fundamental things about DTP and codepage conversion...
Do you know a place on the net where I could spend a couple of hours reading?
Stay well
Alex
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 23:30
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Sorry, I do not know any tutorials Feb 8, 2005

I'm a self educated ethusiast, nothing more.

Let's start to work it out systematically.

I use:
- Windows XP german version.
- Office XP german version.
- Framemaker 7.0 english version.

I created a new document in Word. Then I did set the language to Polish. After that I placed all the special characters of polish alphabet in the file. Saved the file as RTF.
Then I created a blank new document without any template in Framemaker. Then
... See more
I'm a self educated ethusiast, nothing more.

Let's start to work it out systematically.

I use:
- Windows XP german version.
- Office XP german version.
- Framemaker 7.0 english version.

I created a new document in Word. Then I did set the language to Polish. After that I placed all the special characters of polish alphabet in the file. Saved the file as RTF.
Then I created a blank new document without any template in Framemaker. Then I imported this RTF file as described before. All characters (with the exception of one, which cannot be interpreted by Framemaker in its usual version) were shown as necessary. The text showed the font "Arial CE".
That's all.

You can also do as follows:
Create a new blank document in Framemaker. Set the default font to Arial CE.
Then using ALT+Numbers you can insert polish characters:
� = ALT+0185
� = ALT+0230
� = ALT+0234
� = ALT+0179
� = ALT+0243
� = ALT+0156
� = ALT+0191
� = ALT+0159
� = ALT+0165
� = ALT+0198
� = ALT+0202
� = ALT+0163
� = ALT+0209
� = ALT+0140
� = ALT+0175
� = ALT+0143 (this one will not be displayed by FM)

To see the polish characters switch the encoding in your browser to Middle Europe (Windows).

HTH
Jerzy
Collapse

Aleksandr Okunev (X)
Aleksandr Okunev (X)
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
That is great! Feb 8, 2005

Jerzy Czopik wrote: I created a new document in Word. Then ...

Jerzy, I already see my mistakes made in the procedure, thanks a lot, will resume my battle with FM, under your guidance tomorrow morning! (Yawn)
Stay well!
Alex

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Need a MIF file with Polish alphabet

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »