Best OCR software for image/pdf convertion?
Thread poster: Guylaine Ingram
Guylaine Ingram
Guylaine Ingram  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:50
English to French
Dec 8, 2004

Hello everyone,

What is the best OCR software for converting an image or pdf dwg and/or scanned pdf "image" document into text doc like MS Word? I've used various pdf converters; however, it appears that the scanned pdf files are converted to an image word doc file instead of an editable text document.
Thanks, in advance for sharing your experiences.

Almir Comor MITI
Almir Comor MITI  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Local time: 11:50
Member (2004)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Abbyy FineReader Dec 8, 2004

I have used a few OCR programs over the years (Omnipage, Textbridge, ReadIris), and now I'm using Abbyy's FineReader 7. Reportedly , this is currently the best OCR software. I personally am more than satisfied with it.

HTH

PS as to OCRing PDF files, I've done it with FineReader and the results were very good

[Edited at 2004-12-08 19:27]

Giuliana Buscaglione
Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:50
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
I use FineReader Dec 8, 2004

Hi,

I have been using Abby Fine Reader for a while now and I am perfectly satisfied with this software as far as images and PDF files are concerned.

[The result is not so satisfactory when a text is sent per traditional fax and then scanned, but it can be corrected before being sent to MS Word or Excel (time-consuming activity)].

Giuliana

Andrzej Lejman
Andrzej Lejman  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
German to Polish
+ ...
As for PDFs only, Dec 8, 2004

ABBYY PDF Transformer is much, much better, IMHO. The formatting is nearly the same as in Word, making the processing much easier. I'am very pleased with this software, however, I'am speaking about properly prepared PDF documents. As for scanned documents etc., ABBY Fine Reader might be still the best / the only reasonable solution, although I don't like it for the complex formatting it produces.

Cheers
Andrzej

[Edited at 2004-12-09 09:08]

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 12:50
English to Turkish
+ ...
I prefer ABBYY Fine Reader Dec 8, 2004

as the OCR program. But another tool, SolidConverterPDF, is much more better if you plan to convert only pdf files.

I have compared ScanSoft PDF Converter 2.0, ABBYY PDF Transformer 1.0 and SolidConverterPDF many times, and in my opinion, the exact tool for pdf conversion is SolidConverter. You may download three of them and test yourself.

HTH

Fernando Toledo
Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Spain
German to Spanish
??? I think Dec 8, 2004

PDF Transformer is just a modul/part integrated too in Fine Reader (at least PRO)

Am I wrong?

Andrzej Lejman wrote:

ABBYY PDF Converter is much, much better, IMHO. The formatting is nearly the same as in Word, making the processing much easier. I'am very pleased with this software, however, I'am speaking about properly prepared PDF documents. As for scanned documents etc., ABBY Fine Reader might be still the best / the only reasonable solution, although I don't like it for the complex formatting it produces.

Cheers
Andrzej

Rgds

[Edited at 2004-12-09 14:32]

Aleksandr Surkov
Aleksandr Surkov
Estonia
English to Russian
+ ...
PDF Converter Dec 9, 2004

Toledo wrote:

PDF Converter is just a modul/part integrated too in Fine Reader (at least PRO)

Am I wrong?

It can to open .pdf by File>Open.

That's the best software for OSR recognize!
I have tested much like software.

Yuri Dubrov
Yuri Dubrov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
English to Russian
+ ...
Try PDF-TRANSFORMER FROM ABBYY Dec 9, 2004

Hi

It makes the same like Finereader but without scanning and reading. Just choose convert a file into Word and after 3 min a large file is converted.
The engine I think is the same like Finereader but you win time and efforts. But you should have both programms -- it is a must!

Jan Sundström
Jan Sundström  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
But which one is best for batch conversion? Feb 24, 2005

Hi Selcuk and all,

I'm running ABYY PDF Transformer now, which gives great results and is fine for single files.

But the specs don't allow batch conversion, which makes it very tedious to use.

ABBYY refers to their FineReader, and I have version 6.0. It technically handles batch conversion, but there is a lot of manual editing at the end, and the results are inferior to PDF Transformer. Don't ask me why. It's way too time consuming to edit all PDFs at the e
... See more
Hi Selcuk and all,

I'm running ABYY PDF Transformer now, which gives great results and is fine for single files.

But the specs don't allow batch conversion, which makes it very tedious to use.

ABBYY refers to their FineReader, and I have version 6.0. It technically handles batch conversion, but there is a lot of manual editing at the end, and the results are inferior to PDF Transformer. Don't ask me why. It's way too time consuming to edit all PDFs at the end, after running a batch.

Now I'm intrigued to hear about Solid Converter PDF. According to their site (http://www.solidpdf.com/pdf_features.htm) it does handle batches. Has anybody tried the batch function? Can you confirm that it's smooth and simple, without too many manual steps?!

Is the batch function any better in FineReader 7.0 (should I care about upgrading?), or should I go for Solid Converter right away?!

Thanks a lot for your input,

Jan
Collapse

jeanledu
jeanledu
Irish to French
+ ...
Excellent small software converting pdf files into txt Feb 26, 2005

Guylaine Ingram wrote:

Hello everyone,

What is the best OCR software for converting an image or pdf dwg and/or scanned pdf "image" document into text doc like MS Word? I've used various pdf converters; however, it appears that the scanned pdf files are converted to an image word doc file instead of an editable text document.
Thanks, in advance for sharing your experiences.

Hello folks,
I just came across a great and small software that allows to easily convert pdf to txt
http://stevemiller.net/puretext/
I have been trying all sorts of programmes, but none was as simple - and free.
Jean

Uldis Liepkalns
Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
However, Jean, this software Feb 26, 2005

you mention, WILL NOT process PDFs which are image files. In my experience there's nothing better than Finereader for that purpose. That is rather expensive, though.
I do not know about other countries, but here in Latvia, when you buy a scanner, it usually comes with some complimentary OCR software CD disk. I haven't seen any very good, though have tried some, if there are columns,these software (I do not remember the names, but there are several), e.g., arbitrary divides the text into i
... See more
you mention, WILL NOT process PDFs which are image files. In my experience there's nothing better than Finereader for that purpose. That is rather expensive, though.
I do not know about other countries, but here in Latvia, when you buy a scanner, it usually comes with some complimentary OCR software CD disk. I haven't seen any very good, though have tried some, if there are columns,these software (I do not remember the names, but there are several), e.g., arbitrary divides the text into interlinked textboxes in a zig-zag way- one texbox from the left column, next from the right, next from the left... and if you try to touch up some texbox, all document goes haywire. I have never seen complimentary Finereader and I guess price difference tells it.

Uldis

jeanledu wrote:
Hello folks,
I just came across a great and small software that allows to easily convert pdf to txt
http://stevemiller.net/puretext/
I have been trying all sorts of programmes, but none was as simple - and free.
Jean
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Best OCR software for image/pdf convertion?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »