Jan Sundström
Jan Sundström  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 07:50
English to Swedish
+ ...
Feb 5, 2010

Hi all,

There are some really clever functions in Acrobat Professional, but too bad it's a very expensive program.
I'm helping out a friend who can't afford Acrobat Pro, but has the need for the following:

1. Censoring/redacting text that needs to be "blacked-out" in a PDF.
2. Deleting selected (empty) pages within a PDF.
3. Drag'n drop of selected pages in a PDF to the Explorer in Windows, creating new PDF files of sections of a document.
4. Rot
... See more
Hi all,

There are some really clever functions in Acrobat Professional, but too bad it's a very expensive program.
I'm helping out a friend who can't afford Acrobat Pro, but has the need for the following:

1. Censoring/redacting text that needs to be "blacked-out" in a PDF.
2. Deleting selected (empty) pages within a PDF.
3. Drag'n drop of selected pages in a PDF to the Explorer in Windows, creating new PDF files of sections of a document.
4. Rotation of selected pages
5. Straightening up skewed/slanted text in scanned PDFs.

Are you aware of any other software that can do either or all of this?
Thanks a lot for any recommendations!

/J
Collapse

Yael Ramon
Yael Ramon  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 08:50
German to Hebrew
+ ...
PDF tools don't have to be Acrobat Feb 5, 2010

I have a PDF Professional Converter of Nuance (can be purchased online) which is rather satisfying and does almost everythihg (except for cooking and cleaning). Only problem it might sometimes interfere with the the Trados Add-In of Word, so make sure, when installing, not to install the Word Add-In.

and the market is full of them, just google a bit and you're sure to find at least ten more who can do the same.

Good luck

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
English to French
PaperPort from Nuance Feb 5, 2010

I am not a heavy user of pdfs, but now and again it is helpful to split/merge pdfs, annotate them, or create pdfs directly from scanners.

I suppose it could be a replacement to the the fully-fledged Acrobat for light changes to pdfs.

Certainly more info on the Internet

Philippe

Jean-Daniel Bloesch
Jean-Daniel Bloesch
United States
Local time: 01:50
German to French
+ ...
PrimoPDF Feb 5, 2010

Do you know PrimoPDF?
It is free and VERY good!
http://www.primopdf.com/download.aspx
Hope it will fit your needs.

Richard Hall
Richard Hall  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:50
Italian to English
+ ...
PDF XChange Feb 5, 2010

Have a look at the pdf xchange products at: http://www.docu-track.com/

Claudio Porcellana (X)
Claudio Porcellana (X)  Identity Verified
Italy
Foxit family Feb 5, 2010

Foxit reader, Foxit Editor and Foxit creator (virtual printer)
http://www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf/reader/

with few EUR you can do everything and even something that my bloatware Acrobat 7
(uninstalled with no regrets) wasn't able to do: for example, you can scan your sign and put it (with transparent background) on any PDF. a mission impossible for Adobe Acrobat

... See more
Foxit reader, Foxit Editor and Foxit creator (virtual printer)
http://www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf/reader/

with few EUR you can do everything and even something that my bloatware Acrobat 7
(uninstalled with no regrets) wasn't able to do: for example, you can scan your sign and put it (with transparent background) on any PDF. a mission impossible for Adobe Acrobat

furthermore, these softwares are very light and you can even try the demo to see if they can do what you want

Claudio
Collapse

Jan Sundström
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Looking for specific functions Feb 8, 2010

Hi again,

I know there is a plethora of alternatives out there, but I'm just intrested in the five functions listed at the top.

Can you confirm if the products you mention do redacting, creation of new PDFs via drag'n drop etc?

I know I could download demos of everything and check the functionality myself, but the reason for "tapping the Proz knowledge base" is to find out if you can confirm availability of the functions on the spot?!

Jan Sundström
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Abbyy PDF Transformer 3.0 Mar 16, 2010

J-a-n S-ndstr-m wrote:
Can you confirm if the products you mention do redacting, creation of new PDFs via drag'n drop etc?

After a bit of googling, I found out that Abbyy released a new version of PDF Transformer last summer, that does most of what's on my wishlist!

Did anyone try 3.0 yet? What are your impressions, comparing with other software or earlier versions?!

/J

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Alternatives to Acrobat Pro?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »