ANTI MONEY LAUNDERING FEE OF 200 EU (Mod: Tom Foerster - Nigerian scammer)
Thread poster: Anastasia Kingsley Kinkusic
Anastasia Kingsley Kinkusic
Anastasia Kingsley Kinkusic  Identity Verified
Member (2011)
Croatian to English
+ ...
Oct 3, 2023

Dear Colleagues,

I was scammed, unfortunately, by a fellow named Tom Foerster from Denmark (if that is his real name). Hired for a "typing job" (obscure terminology) to type text from 200 JPGs (a chemistry book) into Word documents.

The flat fee being offered for this job was 2500€. Worst of all, the text was generously seasoned with complicated chemical formulas with exponents, Greek and chemical symbols, lengthy fractions, and so on.

The payment wa
... See more
Dear Colleagues,

I was scammed, unfortunately, by a fellow named Tom Foerster from Denmark (if that is his real name). Hired for a "typing job" (obscure terminology) to type text from 200 JPGs (a chemistry book) into Word documents.

The flat fee being offered for this job was 2500€. Worst of all, the text was generously seasoned with complicated chemical formulas with exponents, Greek and chemical symbols, lengthy fractions, and so on.

The payment was to be issued after submitting 120 of these JPEGs (now Word files), which I did this morning.

After spending at least 20 hours of work on this job, I was told that his bank, "STELLAR HORIZON", http://stellarhorizon.org, requires a 196 euro processing fee to determine that I am not engaged in money laundering activities. (The AML fee, for short.) Of course, no one has ever heard of such a thing.

The bank is probably legit, I suppose, with lots of online information, but my programmer discovered that the website itself has been open only 72 days. Odd, since the bank began its operations in 2018.

The chat person is also very pushy to "pay the fee".
Of course, I did not pay it.

Please be aware of this scam.

Kind Regards
Collapse

Matthieu Ledoré
Matthieu Ledoré
France
Local time: 14:34
Member (2022)
English to French
+ ...
Thank you Anastasia Oct 3, 2023

And sorry that you were the victim of this scam. You are helping all of us by reporting it here.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Thayenga

Zea_Mays
Zea_Mays  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
report Oct 3, 2023

Who is asking to pay that fee? The bank?
https://ripjar.com/blog/aml-regulations-in-denmark-an-overview/

If it is actually a scam, can you report the person, contact information and the url to the police or other anti-fraud agencies?

[Bearbeitet am 2023-10-03 17:02 GMT]

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

SITE LOCALIZER
Tom Foerster aka Eveline Franson is a Nigerian scammer Oct 3, 2023

Profiles
Tom Foerster https://www.proz.com/profile/3842552
and
Eveline Franson https://www.proz.com/profile/3844363
as well as jobs posted by these profiles were promptly removed several days ago but in any case please submit a support ticket.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
writeaway
Thayenga

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 13:34
Danish to English
+ ...
Fake website. Fake bank Oct 3, 2023

The British company named Stellar Horizon Ltd (https://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/company/11645167 ) carries out 'Management consultancy activities other than financial management', so they are clearly not a bank. In all likelihood, they have nothing to do with this website.

No bank would use an .org domain and without an SSL
... See more
The British company named Stellar Horizon Ltd (https://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/company/11645167 ) carries out 'Management consultancy activities other than financial management', so they are clearly not a bank. In all likelihood, they have nothing to do with this website.

No bank would use an .org domain and without an SSL certificate. There is no company registration information and no information about any financial authority supervising this 'bank'. There is no trace of this 'bank' online, except this fake website. The links don't work. Quite obviously a fake.

We need to establish the identity of the client before entering into any agreements or carrying out any work. Due diligence. If we skip this important step, we end up wasting our resources.
Collapse

Katarzyna Slowikova

Sammy Dowidar
Sammy Dowidar
France
Member (2022)
English to French
Thank you for warning us, and don't blame yourself, to be scammed is part of one's learning curves Oct 3, 2023

Thank you, Anastasia, for warning us. Sometimes, I think that freelancers and their associations are a huge magnet for scammers.

Don't blame yourself, we all have been cheated at least once in our life by a scammer, bad payer, late payer or exploiter. It is part of our learning curve to recognize these people and safeguard against them.

Anyhow, it's not a mortal wound, so keep it up !

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:34
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Ha ha Oct 4, 2023

That's a good one: an anti-scam scam charging a fee in exchange for not scamming you!

Isabella Rohdich
Isabella Rohdich  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
Same here Oct 10, 2023

I am sorry, that you have been scammed, too.
I was also asked to translate a large document for a fixed rate of 2,500 euros and to transfer 196 euros to this suspicious bank. I also didn't do it and today, I just went to the police to report an offence. They might not be able to achieve much if anything at all, but in my opinion these people shouldn't have an easy going.

I just really hope that the police can achieve something with the information I provided....
See more
I am sorry, that you have been scammed, too.
I was also asked to translate a large document for a fixed rate of 2,500 euros and to transfer 196 euros to this suspicious bank. I also didn't do it and today, I just went to the police to report an offence. They might not be able to achieve much if anything at all, but in my opinion these people shouldn't have an easy going.

I just really hope that the police can achieve something with the information I provided.

Take care everybody!
Collapse

Katarzyna Slowikova
Katarzyna Slowikova  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Czech
+ ...
... Oct 10, 2023

Thomas T. Frost wrote:

No bank would use an .org domain and without an SSL certificate. There is no company registration information and no information about any financial authority supervising this 'bank'. There is no trace of this 'bank' online, except this fake website. The links don't work. Quite obviously a fake.

Very good observation! Virtually nothing on that website works, except the registration form.
Additionally, the descriptions appear to be stolen from the M&T Bank website (https://www3.mtb.com/about-mt).

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

ANTI MONEY LAUNDERING FEE OF 200 EU (Mod: Tom Foerster - Nigerian scammer)

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »