Scam translation project offer from a person located in The State of Nevada.
Thread poster: yugoslavia
yugoslavia
yugoslavia
United States
Local time: 04:10
English to Spanish
+ ...
Aug 23, 2023

Dear translator colleagues,

I'm writing to you because I would like to know if any of you has received a French translation project offer from someone called Tony Stokes. He wants me to translate some documents about Covid19 but I think this is a scam. He said to me that he is located in Chicago, Illinois. (The United States) but the IP address shows that he is in Nevada. (It's a different state)

He also insisted on paying by check and I think he wanted to pay in advan
... See more
Dear translator colleagues,

I'm writing to you because I would like to know if any of you has received a French translation project offer from someone called Tony Stokes. He wants me to translate some documents about Covid19 but I think this is a scam. He said to me that he is located in Chicago, Illinois. (The United States) but the IP address shows that he is in Nevada. (It's a different state)

He also insisted on paying by check and I think he wanted to pay in advance. It's very strange!

Both states are far one from another.

Yugoslavia
Collapse

Dalia Nour

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
German to English
It's a scam Aug 23, 2023

Wrong language combination, payment in advance by check.

The differing IP address is not necessarily indicative of a scammer. I live in the greater Motor City area and use a VPN. Depending on my settings, my IP address can indicate Canada, Germany or somewhere in the US well outside the Detroit metropolitan area.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Dalia Nour
Liviu-Lee Roth
Thayenga
Daryo

Keith Jackson
Keith Jackson  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 10:10
Member (2017)
French to English
+ ...
Beware of people who offer partial payment in advance Aug 23, 2023

There is a scam that is fairly common whereby a partial payment is agreed and then a check is deposited in your account. The scam is that the sum deposited is for way over the sum expected (say $2,000 when you were only expecting €200). The scammer, who probably was very eager to give you a "partial payment", then demands immediate recovery/repayment of the "extra money".

If you accept to do business with this person in spite of your gut feeling, keep an eye on your account, and i
... See more
There is a scam that is fairly common whereby a partial payment is agreed and then a check is deposited in your account. The scam is that the sum deposited is for way over the sum expected (say $2,000 when you were only expecting €200). The scammer, who probably was very eager to give you a "partial payment", then demands immediate recovery/repayment of the "extra money".

If you accept to do business with this person in spite of your gut feeling, keep an eye on your account, and if someone deposits a larger sum than agreed, report it to the bank.

Or better still, trust your gut feeling.
Collapse

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Dalia Nour
Liviu-Lee Roth
Thayenga

yugoslavia
yugoslavia
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you so much for your response. Aug 23, 2023

Hi Mr. Fulton,

Thank you so much for your response. I appreciate it.

Yugoslavia

yugoslavia
yugoslavia
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Keith Aug 23, 2023

Hi Mr. Keith,

I hope you are doing well in France. I have just got your message.

Thank you so much for your response. I appreciate it. I suspected that it was a scam because he insisted on paying me with a check instead of PayPal or Skrill. He wanted to send the payment before the translation project was done. He also lied about his geographical location.

Did he contact you as well?

Yugoslavia

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Scam translation project offer from a person located in The State of Nevada.

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »