Should I pass if payment method is check?
Thread poster: cherrypick
cherrypick
cherrypick
China
Local time: 00:00
English to Chinese
+ ...
May 26, 2022

Hi,

1.We all know the overpayment scam, my question is, is there anyone who actually working with client paying with check? Thanks.

----------------
2.My story is:
A client ask for a book translation and agreed with prepayment in check, when I asked for different payment method, the reply is like:

Hello,

Well, This is a very big project that is handled by a reputable
publishing house in the USA, western union sounds very unp
... See more
Hi,

1.We all know the overpayment scam, my question is, is there anyone who actually working with client paying with check? Thanks.

----------------
2.My story is:
A client ask for a book translation and agreed with prepayment in check, when I asked for different payment method, the reply is like:

Hello,

Well, This is a very big project that is handled by a reputable
publishing house in the USA, western union sounds very unprofessional,
The job would be giving to someone else.

The client's email is outlook email, and "my sponsor" is also mentioned by client, is there possibility it is not a scam?
3.Is western union really "very unprofessional"?

----------------
4.If it is a scam, is there a website to report such kind of scam in US?

BR,
Ado
Collapse

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 17:00
Danish to English
+ ...
Scam May 26, 2022

Who would use cheques today if not a scammer? We're no longer in the 19th century.

The email is evasive and written in poor English, tries to impress and puts pressure on you. All scam signs.

No serious agency or publisher would use an Outlook or Gmail address or similar.

I've never heard of Western Union being used for professional purposes. It's extremely expensive. Scammers like to get paid through WU because payments are untraceable and cannot be revers
... See more
Who would use cheques today if not a scammer? We're no longer in the 19th century.

The email is evasive and written in poor English, tries to impress and puts pressure on you. All scam signs.

No serious agency or publisher would use an Outlook or Gmail address or similar.

I've never heard of Western Union being used for professional purposes. It's extremely expensive. Scammers like to get paid through WU because payments are untraceable and cannot be reversed.

My verdict: scam.
Collapse

Robert Forstag
Thayenga
Barbara Carrara
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
expressisverbis
Vadim Kadyrov
Recep Kurt

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 18:00
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Scam May 26, 2022

I totally agree with Thomas. This is definitely a scam.

However, a few years ago I was receiving regular payments from a Russian publishing house through Western Union. At that time my customer decided to use WU despite the high costs at their end. Upon receipt of the money I always sent them a copy of my invoice with the note "paid in full". This way both parties could trace the money.

expressisverbis

cherrypick
cherrypick
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Can you share a inexpensive way? May 26, 2022

Thomas T. Frost wrote:

I've never heard of Western Union being used for professional purposes. It's extremely expensive. Scammers like to get paid through WU because payments are untraceable and cannot be reversed.

For international transfer, can you share what people usually use? (other than paypal)
Is wise a professional way?
I think WU might be more expensive than wise, but only for small amount of money, can you share your thought? Thanks.

Thomas T. Frost
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
Wise May 26, 2022

Wise is absolutely the best and cheapest way if the countries and currencies involved are supported, and this includes transfers of small amounts. Between EUR, USD and GBP, it costs around 0.5% to change to another currency. You just need to be aware of the quite high fee for receiving US wire transfers (but ACH is free), which is due to the US banking infrastructure. PayPal and Western Union will typically keep 8% of your money.

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 12:00
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
Use of checks May 26, 2022

Thomas T. Frost wrote:

Who would use cheques today if not a scammer?

Checks are still widely used within the USA for domestic payments. However, there are enough other red flags in this proposal to identify it as a scam.

expressisverbis
Michele Fauble
Liviu-Lee Roth
finnword1
philgoddard

Michael Newton
Michael Newton  Identity Verified
United States
Japanese to English
+ ...
Scam payment method May 26, 2022

Three red flags (1) payment by check; (2) prepayment; (3) use of phrase "my sponsor". I have encountered several scams like this in the past and "my sponsor" always figured in them. Most likely, Nigeria. Btw, not "racist', Nigeria is a common scam center.

expressisverbis
Gabriella Vento
Liviu-Lee Roth

cherrypick
cherrypick
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
regarding prepayment May 26, 2022

Michael Newton wrote:

Three red flags (1) payment by check; (2) prepayment; (3) use of phrase "my sponsor". I have encountered several scams like this in the past and "my sponsor" always figured in them. Most likely, Nigeria. Btw, not "racist', Nigeria is a common scam center.

Will it be unprofessional if asking for deposit?

Thomas T. Frost
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
Deposit May 26, 2022

cherrypick wrote:

No, but if it's a scammer, they'll just post you a counterfeit cheque for ten times the agreed amount and ask you to refund the difference. Waste of time in a case like this.

expressisverbis
Gabriella Vento
Liviu-Lee Roth

Liviu-Lee Roth
Liviu-Lee Roth
United States
Romanian to English
+ ...
Really? May 27, 2022

Thomas T. Frost wrote:

Well, we live in the 21-st century, but all my payments for translations and interpretation done for the US Government, local courts and some agencies, are done by checks. I do not see it as a problem.

In this particular case of the poster, I think it is a scam.

Best,
Lee

[Edited at 2022-05-27 02:27 GMT]

Liviu-Lee Roth
Liviu-Lee Roth
United States
Romanian to English
+ ...
waste of time May 27, 2022

cherrypick wrote:

Michael Newton wrote:

As my colleagues mentioned before, IT IS a SCAM. Forget about it!

Stay safe!
lee

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Should I pass if payment method is check?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »