Thread poster: Hannah Gunasingh
Vladimír Pleva
Vladimír Pleva
Czech Republic
Local time: 21:20
English to Czech
+ ...
Scammer and agency one and the same entity? Dec 1, 2021

And yet another thing: The supposed scammer contacted me directly (not via ProZ.com) on behalf of MGM company, knowing that they have my contact in their database. It all suggests that the scammer in question and the MGM company might be the same entity...

Vladimír Pleva wrote:

Hi Tony,
Thanks for your comment. It would then deserve further research.
I also mentioned that because I came across a company in the past which pretended that the job was requested by a scammer so that they avoided payment...
Vlad

Tony M wrote:

Vladimír Pleva wrote:

I just did some research and I found out that the genuine MGM email has the same sender's IP address as the above mentioned fake email.
So I'm a bit suspicious whether these "fake emails" are not a cover-up by MGM company so that they don't need to pay for their orders.

Don't forget that IP addresses are not always a reliable indicator: for many users (not having their own dedicated fixed IP address), the apparent IP address will possibly be that of their ISP — so my ISP is Orange, and I get randomly assigned IP addresses seemingly located in various cities far from my real location.

So it is possible that the scammer and the legit company just happen to be using the same ISP — and it is in a way not surprising that the scammer might be operating in the same country as the company, at least they will be in the know about thinks that might lend credibility to their scam.

The first thing to do is check the IP address with the WhoIs?, which may yield more detailed information about the owner of that IP.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Scammer pretending to represent MGM LINGUISTIC SOLUTIONS Company

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »