Thread poster: Kristijan Grdan
Kristijan Grdan
Kristijan Grdan
Germany
English to Croatian
+ ...
Jun 21, 2021

Hello All,

hereby I report that I was stupid enoug to fall for a scammer. I shared my bank and personal details, of course, since I naively thought why would anyone go into such a trouble to prepare everything and make it look like genuine just to get a few personal details? I share my experience so others know.

First I got an email from some Mura Xavi who wanted me to translate "Farmers Handbook on Pig Production" from English to Croatian. I gave my offer and he said t
... See more
Hello All,

hereby I report that I was stupid enoug to fall for a scammer. I shared my bank and personal details, of course, since I naively thought why would anyone go into such a trouble to prepare everything and make it look like genuine just to get a few personal details? I share my experience so others know.

First I got an email from some Mura Xavi who wanted me to translate "Farmers Handbook on Pig Production" from English to Croatian. I gave my offer and he said that they will be paying me 50% in advance so that I can start and then they will pay the rest when I finish the work within the 4 week deadline. I agreed, shared my contact and bank details (stupid, stupid, stupid) and was particularly happy that they wanted to pay me in advance because I was earlier victim of those who would ask me to provide a translation and then they never paid. He responded that the payment will be done in a week and I replied that I will not start working until I received payment.

The only thing that I was thinking about was: why would anyone want to have a Croatian version of FAO Handbook on Pig Production that mostly refered to Nepalese pigs, but then I thought that perhaps some Croatian farmers just want to breed pigs from Nepal. LOL

The week has passed and on Saturday I went to check my account only to disciver that the Bank has blocked my account. The situation is now resolved and thanks to the Bank, nothing happened with my account. Only then I realized this may be a SCAM, checked this person and found he uses this email: [email protected] and that there is no other information available about him/her.

So, beware, pigs stink.

[Edited at 2021-06-21 11:46 GMT]
Collapse

mroed

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason:
Paweł Hamerski
Paweł Hamerski
Poland
Local time: 00:16
English to Polish
+ ...
I repeat once more: sharing bank/personal details cannot injure you. Jun 22, 2021

I do it every time I send my invoice/pro forma invoice, etc. also to the people I know nothing about.

Marjolein Snippe
Marjolein Snippe  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2012)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Sorry Jun 22, 2021

Oh dear, I am sorry you fell for this.
I agree with Pawel that providing bank details is necessary to get paid and is not usually very risky (unless they have already found out your pin codes etc.).

However, new clients who offer to pay in advance are rarely genuine.
If a new client comes with a large project, agrees to your rates and offers to pay in advance, the best reaction is often to run and not look back...

(Exceptions do happen - I had a new client
... See more
Oh dear, I am sorry you fell for this.
I agree with Pawel that providing bank details is necessary to get paid and is not usually very risky (unless they have already found out your pin codes etc.).

However, new clients who offer to pay in advance are rarely genuine.
If a new client comes with a large project, agrees to your rates and offers to pay in advance, the best reaction is often to run and not look back...

(Exceptions do happen - I had a new client who did just that earlier this year and turned out to be a real, trustworthy client, but I think this is rather exceptional!)
Collapse

Tina Vonhof (X)

Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Local time: 16:16
Dutch to English
+ ...
@Pawel Jun 22, 2021

Paweł Hamerski wrote:

I do it every time I send my invoice/pro forma invoice, etc. also to the people I know nothing about.

Yes, of course you need to give your information in your invoice to your client AFTER you have done the work. By accepting the work and the terms, you and your client have made an agreement and you already have developed a certain amount of mutual trust, trust on the client's side that you will do the work and trust on your side that you will get paid. That is different from getting an offer of payment out of the blue, before you have made any other agreements with the client and before you have done any work.

Liviu-Lee Roth

Paweł Hamerski
Paweł Hamerski
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
I knew I would hear this argument therefore I added Jun 22, 2021

pro forma invoice as well. And other non-sensitive data if necessary

Kristijan Grdan
Kristijan Grdan
Germany
English to Croatian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Update Aug 14, 2021

So, here the update comes.
Today I received a cheque. The cheque is on behalf of the Allied Irish Banks, for the amount of £9,981 but the funniest thing is: it is not even on my name! It was sent to my adress and my name on the envelope, but the cheque is on the name of another person!
I was able to track that person and find her registered as an interpreter on this website, so I contacted her in case she got victimised already by those scammers and would benefit from getting detail
... See more
Today I received a cheque. The cheque is on behalf of the Allied Irish Banks, for the amount of £9,981 but the funniest thing is: it is not even on my name! It was sent to my adress and my name on the envelope, but the cheque is on the name of another person!
I was able to track that person and find her registered as an interpreter on this website, so I contacted her in case she got victimised already by those scammers and would benefit from getting details from me about this.
I was also contacted by a scammer, this Mura Xavi who told me that he did not contact me these last few months because he was gravely ill and in the hospital and that his colleague sent me a cheque. Apparently, that colleague made a mistake and sent me too much money. Now, as the scammer suggest, I should deposit the cheque on my account and once it is clear, I should take off my payment and do with the rest as I am instructed by them. I replied that I would rather send back the cheque, but I did not disclose they sent it with a wrong name, and asked if they would give me their postal address. Of course, as they are not that naive as I initially was, there is no reply.
I was thinking to report that and send the scan of the forged cheque to the London Mentropolitan Police and to respective Bank (the adress of the Bank is written on the cheque). What do you think?
Collapse

Liviu-Lee Roth
Liviu-Lee Roth
United States
Local time: 18:16
Romanian to English
+ ...
Hi there, Aug 15, 2021

Kristijan Grdan wrote:

I was able to track that person and find her registered as an interpreter on this website, so I contacted her in case she got victimised already by those scammers and would benefit from getting details from me about this.
I was also contacted by a scammer, this Mura Xavi who told me that he did not contact me these last few months because he was gravely ill and in the hospital and that his colleague sent me a cheque. Apparently, that colleague made a mistake and sent me too much money. Now, as the scammer suggest, I should deposit the cheque on my account and once it is clear, I should take off my payment and do with the rest as I am instructed by them. I replied that I would rather send back the cheque, but I did not disclose they sent it with a wrong name, and asked if they would give me their postal address. Of course, as they are not that naive as I initially was, there is no reply.
I was thinking to report that and send the scan of the forged cheque to the London Mentropolitan Police and to respective Bank (the adress of the Bank is written on the cheque). What do you think?

I enjoyed playing games with the scammers and now, I have a collection of three fake checks!

The police cannot do too much because these things (scams) are bought and sold on the dark web and the scammer could be from anywhere in the world.

Learn your lesson and keep reading the Scam section. A warning for this particular scam has been posted on Proz for about two years, nothing new!

Stay safe,
Lee

Jean Loyens
Jean Loyens  Identity Verified
Belgium
English to Dutch
+ ...
Oh dear, I have EXACTLY THE SAME PROBLEM!!! Aug 15, 2021

Dear sir,

I myself have received exactly the same conversation. I was asked on June 10 of this year to translate that (same) pig document. I made an offer and this person "Mura Xavi" replied that he agreed on it. I needed to send my details. He was going to pay me 50% in advance, just like you said. Then he didn't reply anymore. Only yesterday he sent me this:

Hello,
How are you doing today, hope your day is going as planned? Am really sorry for my long silenc
... See more
Dear sir,

I myself have received exactly the same conversation. I was asked on June 10 of this year to translate that (same) pig document. I made an offer and this person "Mura Xavi" replied that he agreed on it. I needed to send my details. He was going to pay me 50% in advance, just like you said. Then he didn't reply anymore. Only yesterday he sent me this:

Hello,
How are you doing today, hope your day is going as planned? Am really sorry for my long silence as I have not been feeling well and my boss could not have any access to reach me or if I could reply to his message. I just returned from the hospital and replied to your message. I am doing just better now. You will have the check delivered to you yesterday . Everything could not progress as there was no means to contact you as no one had access to my email while I was in the hospital. You will have the check in the amount ( £9,981 and will see the date on it as well 16th of june 2021 ) do let me know as soon as you have the check. Thank you so much for your time, patience and understanding... Looking forward to hearing back from you soon.
Best regards
Mura

First of all I thought that this was very strange... there was a deadline for that document and no one else could access his mail account and now he doesn't even talk about a deadline. That's when I started looking on the internet if this might be a scam and ... this way I came to this forum (where he found my details).

So he said that he was going to pay me ... £9,981 !!! (which was absolutely not what I asked for) and which is exactly what you said he did with you as well. I did send him my full details by mail... including my bank account. You said that this was stupid, but if you have a company and you make an offer to someone, all your details should be on it, so I didn't see a problem in sending my details to him... after all, if they were looking for a company, they might find all these details online as well. How can they scam my (professional) bank account?

So I am glad that I didn't yet reply to "him". It looks like I can expect that cheque by the post mail. I will make a phone call to my bank tomorrow morning to make sure that nothing will happen there, but I'm sure that they won't be able to hack my bank... Still, thank you very much Kristijan Grdan for telling your story here. As you can see it's identical. Kind regards, Jean
Collapse

Jean Loyens
Belgium
English to Dutch
+ ...
Farmer's handbook on pig production scam: what the scammer asks you to do Aug 15, 2021

Kristijan Grdan wrote:

... Now, as the scammer suggest, I should deposit the cheque on my account and once it is clear, I should take off my payment and do with the rest as I am instructed by them...

Can you please tell me (us, for this is helpful for all of us) what he suggested to do? If he at all was going to try to steal your money on your bank, he must have access to your banking code (or card codes). Did he ask for them? Thank you for your answer.

Kind regards, Jean Loyens

Liviu-Lee Roth
Liviu-Lee Roth
United States
Local time: 18:16
Romanian to English
+ ...
Dear Jean, Aug 15, 2021

Jean Loyens wrote:

Kristijan Grdan wrote:

... Now, as the scammer suggest, I should deposit the cheque on my account and once it is clear, I should take off my payment and do with the rest as I am instructed by them...

Can you please tell me (us, for this is helpful for all of us) what he suggested to do? If he at all was going to try to steal your money on your bank, he must have access to your banking code (or card codes). Did he ask for them? Thank you for your answer.

Kind regards, Jean Loyens

It is the classic, decade-old ”overpayment” scam, explained n-times in this forum.

Stay safe,
Lee

Jean Loyens

Marjolein Snippe
Marjolein Snippe  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2012)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Overpayment scam Aug 16, 2021

Jean - try googling "overpayment scam".
You deposit the cheque and on request of the "client", whose colleague has made a mistake and put too high an amount on the cheque, you return the excess money to the "client". After a few days/weeks it will then turn out the cheque was false and the money that seemed to have been deposited into your account will disappear from your account. The money you transferred will not come back because you transferred this yourself, so you will have lost a f
... See more
Jean - try googling "overpayment scam".
You deposit the cheque and on request of the "client", whose colleague has made a mistake and put too high an amount on the cheque, you return the excess money to the "client". After a few days/weeks it will then turn out the cheque was false and the money that seemed to have been deposited into your account will disappear from your account. The money you transferred will not come back because you transferred this yourself, so you will have lost a few thousand pounds.
Collapse

Liviu-Lee Roth
Jean Loyens
Michele Fauble

Kristijan Grdan
Kristijan Grdan
Germany
English to Croatian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Mura is not replying Aug 16, 2021

After I asked Mura to send me the postal address so I can return the cheque in mail, he did not respond at all. Perhaps he got in the hospital again?

Jean Loyens
Belgium
English to Dutch
+ ...
Cheque received! Aug 16, 2021

(Update) Dear all, I just want to point that I have received a cheque by mail today with exact the same amount as Kristijan: £9,981. It seems that the bank that has been used for this fraud does exist (the AIB bank in Ireland). I have contacted them by filling out a form, pointing to fraud. I hope that they will contact me. Thank you all for your reactions! I'll write more if they respond. Kind regards, Jean

[Bijgewerkt op 2021-08-18 15:23 GMT]

Simone Planitzer-Hagehuelsmann (X)
Simone Planitzer-Hagehuelsmann (X)
Germany
English to German
same experience with a scammer called "Joseph Maligat" Aug 17, 2021

Dear all, I experienced exactly the same story with the same pig document, also in June this year and I also received a cheque with the same amount of money. Only difference is the name of the person. "He" called himself "Joseph Maligat", so please be aware when you receive an email from this "person". Bye, Simone

Jean Loyens

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Farmers Handbook on Pig Production

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »