Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Translation job with 50% advance payment (check) and more than a month to translate: is this a scam?
Thread poster: cicconella
Laurent KRAULAND (X)
Laurent KRAULAND (X)  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 19:18
French to German
+ ...
Yes! Aug 10, 2011

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:

"Certified Bank Check". There you have it. They "make a mistake" and send you double the amount, ask you to send them back the difference. You cash the check, which looks OK to the bank, and send the difference to the "customer". A few days later the check bounces because it is false, and... ta-da!!! Scam executed.

Just click Delete and forget about these people!

Whether they send you the double amount or not, the "certified bank cheque" should raise bleeding reg flags. Such cheques are usually counterfeited.

Deke Languages
Deke Languages
Kenya
Local time: 20:18
English to Italian
+ ...
Seven years later, same scam Oct 11, 2018

I've recently received this exact e-mail from a certain "Maria brown" - the same number of words in the source text, 11670.
Other details:
- Her original e-mail said the source text was about 3-d printing. The document she subsequently sent dealt with conflict management
- She never referred to any of the details I had included in my replies, almost as if her messages were automated

As before, poor english and punctuation, unconcerned about my high quote, advance p
... See more
I've recently received this exact e-mail from a certain "Maria brown" - the same number of words in the source text, 11670.
Other details:
- Her original e-mail said the source text was about 3-d printing. The document she subsequently sent dealt with conflict management
- She never referred to any of the details I had included in my replies, almost as if her messages were automated

As before, poor english and punctuation, unconcerned about my high quote, advance payment, insistence on certified check/bank draft, long deadline...
Collapse

joy davies

joy davies
joy davies
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:18
English to Welsh
'Conflict Management' translation request - just happened to me Feb 5, 2019

I was asked by an 'Ashley Collins' to translate this document. She could not send money overseas so asked if I knew someone in the US. I asked for advance payment as I wasn't certain about this request. I did and my friend duly received a cheque for nearly $5000. The agreed fee was $1100 and the rest was allegedly for the next part of the project. The money was banked, but then she said that the rest of the project was cancelled so could my friend return the additional $3900 to an account she ga... See more
I was asked by an 'Ashley Collins' to translate this document. She could not send money overseas so asked if I knew someone in the US. I asked for advance payment as I wasn't certain about this request. I did and my friend duly received a cheque for nearly $5000. The agreed fee was $1100 and the rest was allegedly for the next part of the project. The money was banked, but then she said that the rest of the project was cancelled so could my friend return the additional $3900 to an account she gave. The first account details failed. The next was to someone with a Nigerian name. My friend's bank checks all new transferees and as time passed, Ashley became more frantic - asking my friend to deposit cash in an account instead. Thankfully, we held back and, lo and behold, a few days later the $5000 went back out of his account. This has been reported to the police but it's unlikely anyone will be identified as all details were false.Collapse

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
bank transfer Nov 18, 2021

Hi everyone,
I have been contacted by someone who wants to pay 30% in advance. I don't see what the text has to do with his company, he writes from a gmail address, his company is domiciled in a street with only one small building in an industrial zone and he tells me he needs to pay 30% so I can see he is sincere, which sounds fishy to me (like liars always tell you they never lie). He appears to invest in property, and my partner tells me that if he works with builders, he would routine
... See more
Hi everyone,
I have been contacted by someone who wants to pay 30% in advance. I don't see what the text has to do with his company, he writes from a gmail address, his company is domiciled in a street with only one small building in an industrial zone and he tells me he needs to pay 30% so I can see he is sincere, which sounds fishy to me (like liars always tell you they never lie). He appears to invest in property, and my partner tells me that if he works with builders, he would routinely pay part in advance, so he probably thinks it's normal.
I sent him an estimate and he has given me a go-ahead and asked for my bank details so he can pay me. The firm seems to exist and do business, but has no website, this is perhaps normal.
Is there any way he can scam me by wiring too much money or is it only by cheque?
Collapse

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

SITE LOCALIZER
mon78 was a scammer from Benin Nov 18, 2021

and I have just removed his profile and blocked his contact data.

Take care,
Natalia

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
. Nov 18, 2021

Natalie wrote:

and I have just removed his profile and blocked his contact data.

Take care,
Natalia

Thank you Natalie, that was the account the guy was contacting me from! so I was quite right to be wary.

I would still be interested to know how it works if he wires the 30% to me rather than sending a cheque, if anybody has any idea?

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translation job with 50% advance payment (check) and more than a month to translate: is this a scam?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »