What did you think of the "How To Get Started as a Freelance Translator" ProZ Spotlight Training?
Thread poster: Georgia Blerot
Georgia Blerot
Georgia Blerot  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:54
Member (2022)
French to English
+ ...
Mar 5, 2022

Hi everyone,

I'm setting myself up as a French to English freelance translator again after a 10-year "hiatus" working my tush off for other people. I thought this course sounded like a good way to set myself up properly. I'd be interested in hearing everyone's thoughts. Was it worth it? How do you suggest making the most of the course? In which ways did you apply what you learned? Wh
... See more
Hi everyone,

I'm setting myself up as a French to English freelance translator again after a 10-year "hiatus" working my tush off for other people. I thought this course sounded like a good way to set myself up properly. I'd be interested in hearing everyone's thoughts. Was it worth it? How do you suggest making the most of the course? In which ways did you apply what you learned? What did you find most helpful?

https://training.proz.com/spotlight-training/how-to-get-started-as-a-freelance-translator

On a side note, the course seems quite a good deal considering the $179 registration fee includes a One-Year ProZ Plus Membership ($170 on its own).

I'll look forward to hearing from you.

Georgia

[Edited at 2022-03-05 21:58 GMT]

[Edited at 2022-03-05 22:00 GMT]
Collapse

Barbara Carrara
Barbara Carrara  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 01:54
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
I've accessed the course page from Italy Mar 7, 2022

Hi, Georgia

I've accessed the course page from Italy, where a discounted price of 79USD (or 70EUR within the EU) is currently advertised as a '48-hour sale' offer when you access the Purchase page. The original price was 129USD.

No mention to the Plus membership, though. So, perhaps, that might an offer specific to the US.
BTW, wouldn't an offer of 9USD for a training course (self-paced or otherwise) make your eyebrows raise instantly? If I were offered 'profess
... See more
Hi, Georgia

I've accessed the course page from Italy, where a discounted price of 79USD (or 70EUR within the EU) is currently advertised as a '48-hour sale' offer when you access the Purchase page. The original price was 129USD.

No mention to the Plus membership, though. So, perhaps, that might an offer specific to the US.
BTW, wouldn't an offer of 9USD for a training course (self-paced or otherwise) make your eyebrows raise instantly? If I were offered 'professional guidance' for as little as 9USD, I would be very wary about the quality of such an offering.

Back to the price-reduction thingy. Does that mean ProZ have not managed to secure enough applicants and are now seeking ways to attract more? Who knows.
Hopefully, some of those who have purchased the package and completed the course will be able to offer more insightful contributions, and/or other useful pointers on re-entering the profession.

In any case, I wonder if this would be the right course for someone like you, given that you already had a career as a translator before your 10-yr 'hiatus', so you already know the ropes, as opposed to someone who is just starting out in the profession.
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 01:54
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
From the Netherlands Mar 7, 2022

Barbara Carrara wrote:
I've accessed the course page from Italy, where a discounted price of 79USD (or 70EUR within the EU) is currently advertised as a '48-hour sale' offer when you access the Purchase page. The original price was 129USD. ... No mention to the Plus membership, though. So, perhaps, that might an offer specific to the US.

Accessing it from the Netherlands, I see the original price is $349 and the discounted price is $179 "today", and it does include 1 year Plus membership. The refund period is 7 days, which is long enough to evaluate if the videos are worth the price. It appears to be a selection of existing videos at ProZ.com (but I can't be 100% sure). The included videos are:

* First Steps: How to Get Started as a Freelance Translator
* Becoming a Freelance Translator: Why do clients hire translators?
* Getting the Most out of ProZ.com: Profiles, SEO, Tools and More!
* Getting the Most Out of Your ProZ.com Profile
* How to Succeed With Agencies
* Online Basics for Translators: SEO, Landing Pages & More
* Sales and Negotiation Strategies for Translation Professionals
* How to Sell More: Effective Sales Strategies
* Stories from the trenches: how not to treat your customers
* Diversify to Achieve Sustainability as a Translator
* Translator Mindset: Focus, Positioning, Attitude and Results
* Working from Home: Overcoming Practical Challenges
* Diversification or Specialization: What’s Right for You?
* Degree or No Degree, that is the question
* How to Develop a Network that will Propel Your Career

The package is also available to platinum members, for $79 (see here) but there is a bug in the purchase system because it doesn't allow me to buy it for $79 (only for $179).

@Georgia, I can't comment on the quality since I haven't done this "course".

Barbara Carrara

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Nawal Kramer[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What did you think of the "How To Get Started as a Freelance Translator" ProZ Spotlight Training?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »