Accredited online translation certificate (Arabic-English)
Thread poster: Nesma Mansour
Nesma Mansour
Nesma Mansour
Local time: 13:48
Arabic to English
+ ...
May 12, 2011

Dear all,

I work as a freelance translator as I was graduated from Faculty of Languages but I'd like to take it a step further and become a certified translator. Is there a trustworthy and internationally accredited organization/institute that offers an online certificate?
Can you please recommend some of these, I found many online but I'm not sure which one is better.

thanks for your help.
PS: I want to be a certified (Arabic-English) translator.
... See more
Dear all,

I work as a freelance translator as I was graduated from Faculty of Languages but I'd like to take it a step further and become a certified translator. Is there a trustworthy and internationally accredited organization/institute that offers an online certificate?
Can you please recommend some of these, I found many online but I'm not sure which one is better.

thanks for your help.

Nesma Mansour
Collapse

cc in nyc
cc in nyc  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:48
French to English
NYU SCPS Certificate May 17, 2011

New York University has an online program that leads to a Certificate in Translation for Arabic-to-English. Here's a link to one of their webpages:
http://www.scps.nyu.edu/areas-of-study/foreign-languages/professional-certificates/translation.html

Mdiyaa
Mdiyaa
Local time: 13:48
Useless link Feb 22, 2013

NY UNIV. only offers three types of online translation courses as the following:
1- Chinese to English
2- French to English
3- Spanish to English

LEXpert
LEXpert  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:48
Member (2008)
Croatian to English
+ ...
NYU Arabic *certficate* Feb 23, 2013

Mdiyaa wrote:

NY UNIV. only offers three types of online translation courses as the following:
1- Chinese to English
2- French to English
3- Spanish to English

If you actually read the page, you will see that those three are just the degree programs. Click on "non-credit offerings" you will get the certificate programs, including Arabic.

http://www.scps.nyu.edu/academics/departments/foreign-languages/academic-offerings/noncredit/certificate-in-arabic.html

[Edit:] Just realized my link is actually for the Arabic language certificate. You are probably looking for something like the certificate in translation, which can also be taken for Arabic:

http://www.scps.nyu.edu/academics/departments/foreign-languages/academic-offerings/noncredit/certificate-in-translation.html

Are you looking for something involving actual coursework or just the opportunity for a certificate? In latter case, also consider test-based certifications offered by recognized bodies (for example ATA or IoL), though, at least for ATA, you'd have to travel to an actual test setting.

[Edited at 2013-02-23 16:16 GMT]

[Edited at 2013-02-23 16:20 GMT]

[Edited at 2013-02-23 16:21 GMT]

Hani Hassaan

Matthias Steiert
Matthias Steiert  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:48
Member (2008)
English to German
+ ...
English into Arabic Oct 7, 2013

I believe you are trying to find a course online in Egypt may be try Al Azhar or Open University, let me know the result of your research as I am interested myself. Matthias

Marie-Helene Dubois
Marie-Helene Dubois  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 12:48
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Do you want to be a certified translator Oct 8, 2013

or do you want a certification/qualification in translation?

These are two different things. A certified, or sworn, translator is someone who is allowed to do certified translations in a particular country. These translations are mainly for official documents. Every jurisdiction is different in terms of certification of its sworn translators so you would have to look into the rules in your particular country of residence to know how to become a certified translator there.
... See more
or do you want a certification/qualification in translation?

These are two different things. A certified, or sworn, translator is someone who is allowed to do certified translations in a particular country. These translations are mainly for official documents. Every jurisdiction is different in terms of certification of its sworn translators so you would have to look into the rules in your particular country of residence to know how to become a certified translator there.

If your country of residence is the UK, there is no official system for certified translators or sworn translators, but you have to be a member of a professional translators' organization/institute.

I would recommend in such a case going the DipTrans route. You can take courses, both physically and remotely for this exam but you can technically just sign up for the exam and take the exam without having taken a course, since the qualification is purely based on the exam. You can also take this exam in several countries, not just the UK. Once you have passed, you get the opportunity to join the Chartered Institute of Linguists. You would then be able to certify your own translations under UK legislation but you would also have a translation qualification (Diploma in translation), which carries ECTS points.

You will find more info here:
http://www.iol.org.uk/qualifications/exams_diptrans.asp
Collapse

Hani Hassaan

mohammed ashir
mohammed ashir
India
Local time: 16:18
masalla Nov 26, 2013

Nesma Mansour wrote:

Dear all,

thanks for your help.

Nesma Mansour

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Nawal Kramer[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Accredited online translation certificate (Arabic-English)

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »