Vom Thema belegte Seiten:   [1 2] >
Would anyone recommend CPT certification?
Initiator des Themas: Anthony Mazzorana (X)
Anthony Mazzorana (X)
Anthony Mazzorana (X)  Identity Verified
Vereinigte Staaten
Local time: 15:14
Spanisch > Englisch
+ ...
Jan 28, 2011

Hello, I'm looking to add to my credentials through an online certification program and have been checking out the following: http://translationcertification.org/index.html. It's offered through the Global Translation Institute completely online. Price wise it can't be beat but I was wondering if anyone has ever heard of the program and/or perhaps used it?

Any input wou
... See more
Hello, I'm looking to add to my credentials through an online certification program and have been checking out the following: http://translationcertification.org/index.html. It's offered through the Global Translation Institute completely online. Price wise it can't be beat but I was wondering if anyone has ever heard of the program and/or perhaps used it?

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks everyone!
Collapse

Luisa Ramos, CT
Luisa Ramos, CT  Identity Verified
Vereinigte Staaten
Englisch > Spanisch
ATA? Jan 28, 2011

Why not take the ATA Certification?

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spanien
Local time: 21:14
Mitglied (2005)
Englisch > Spanisch
+ ...
I would not do it Jan 28, 2011

That certification is not recognised by anyone other than the private company that offer it. The "Global Translation Institute" is just a private training company that claims to be offering a "certification", but the fact is that it is just a training programme with no official recognition. If you ask me, you would be wasting your money.

There have been some topics about this matter i
... See more
That certification is not recognised by anyone other than the private company that offer it. The "Global Translation Institute" is just a private training company that claims to be offering a "certification", but the fact is that it is just a training programme with no official recognition. If you ask me, you would be wasting your money.

There have been some topics about this matter in Proz.com in the past:
- http://www.proz.com/forum/internet_for_translators/137117-has_anyone_heard_of_this_school_institute_global_translation_institute_ctp_program.html
- http://esl.proz.com/forum/getting_established/185476-professional_translator_certification_global_translation_institute.html
- http://fra.proz.com/forum/translator_resources/151340-has_anyone_heard_of_ctpcertified_translation_professional_program_by_global_translation_institute-page2.html
(This matter has also been discussed in other translator portals.)

Make sure you read it all before you make a decision. Again, your best bet is clearly to seek a recognised certification, like ATA's, the IOL's DipTrans, or official exams by associations or other bodies in your country.
Collapse

Spanien
Mitglied (2005)
Englisch > Spanisch
+ ...
Wow Jan 28, 2011

"The #1 Translator Certification & Training Program"
This makes me smile. I reckon they ever heard of ATA, the IOL, or universities...

Well, one thing is true: they are good salespeople!

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spanien
Mitglied (2004)
Spanisch > Englisch
translation in and out of mother tongue Jan 28, 2011

Another detail that I noticed when I visited their website is that the exam you take is in both directions, into and out of your native language.
This is not normal practice.

Anthony Mazzorana (X)
Vereinigte Staaten
Spanisch > Englisch
+ ...
THEMENSTARTER
Thanks for the feedback Jan 28, 2011

Yeah, I feel pretty skeptical about CTP.

For those of you that are ATA certified, how much formal preparation (i.e. online or other program, degree, etc.) did you find was required before passing the exam?

LEXpert
LEXpert  Identity Verified
Vereinigte Staaten
Local time: 14:14
Mitglied (2008)
Kroatisch > Englisch
+ ...
Do ATA practice passages Jan 28, 2011

Anthony,
The minimum requirements to sit for the exam are listed on the ATA website, but I venture that many (if not most) of us had considerably more than that before taking the exam, so at least for me, it's just not possible to draw a line across my CV and say "OK, up to this point was sufficient/necessary, and beyond that was useful but not essential".

You can order practice passages from ATA that will be returned to you marked up by the same graders who mark the exams.
... See more
Anthony,
The minimum requirements to sit for the exam are listed on the ATA website, but I venture that many (if not most) of us had considerably more than that before taking the exam, so at least for me, it's just not possible to draw a line across my CV and say "OK, up to this point was sufficient/necessary, and beyond that was useful but not essential".

You can order practice passages from ATA that will be returned to you marked up by the same graders who mark the exams. These passages are relatively inexpensive and the best way I know of to get an idea of how you might perform the exam. However, I believe that you must be an ATA member to order the passages (still worth it, though!).

[Edited at 2011-01-28 18:01 GMT]
Collapse

Spanien
Mitglied (2005)
Englisch > Spanisch
+ ...
My experience Jan 28, 2011

I had the same questions you had. First, I think you should check the eligibility requirements in ATA's website.

I just wanted to add a few suggestions:
1. Get used to handwriting. I think ATA still does not accept the use of a computer and you have to handwrite your passages. You should use a pencil so that you can also correct your text. The time is usually NOT enough to write a draft and then transfer it to the final form, so being able to correct on the fly is vital.
... See more
I had the same questions you had. First, I think you should check the eligibility requirements in ATA's website.

I just wanted to add a few suggestions:
1. Get used to handwriting. I think ATA still does not accept the use of a computer and you have to handwrite your passages. You should use a pencil so that you can also correct your text. The time is usually NOT enough to write a draft and then transfer it to the final form, so being able to correct on the fly is vital.

2. Get used to translating texts of the length of those of the exam, within the time allocated for the exam. Track the times needed for each stage of the translation (first reading, terminology clarification, spellchecking, final style check... whatever steps you usually take).

3. Bring a nice set of dictionaries with you. Don't feel ashamed to take a whole suitcase of them. Please notice however that a dictionary cannot replace good translation skills, and that checking too much in the dictionaries will consume your time and might kill your first instinct. "Follow your instinct!"

4. If possible, hire an experienced translator or an ATA certified translator to send you mock exams and evaluate them for you. Half a dozen texts might help you pinpoint your weaknesses (we all have them) so that you can work on them.

The exam has a very low pass rate (I think it is 20% in my language pair), so the more you prepare and practice, the better.

And just do not hesitate to ask! I think all ATA-certified people will love to help.
Collapse

Anthony Mazzorana (X)
Vereinigte Staaten
Spanisch > Englisch
+ ...
THEMENSTARTER
I appreciate everyone's advice Jan 28, 2011

I will certainly consider ATA. I just find it a little annoying that your certification is only good as long as you're an active member, a.k.a. paying your annual dues. I can think of many other uses for $160.

What do you all think of certificate programs like NYU or the University of Toronto? I'm somewhat attracted to the idea of completing a program and earning a certificate that way.

I'm still pretty new at this. I have the languages (Italian, Spanish) but
... See more
I will certainly consider ATA. I just find it a little annoying that your certification is only good as long as you're an active member, a.k.a. paying your annual dues. I can think of many other uses for $160.

What do you all think of certificate programs like NYU or the University of Toronto? I'm somewhat attracted to the idea of completing a program and earning a certificate that way.

I'm still pretty new at this. I have the languages (Italian, Spanish) but am looking for the credentials, so I appreciate everyone's input.
Collapse

Spanien
Mitglied (2005)
Englisch > Spanisch
+ ...
Certainly a good option Jan 28, 2011

Anthony Mazzorana wrote:
I can think of many other uses for $160.

OK, but being ATA-certified will certainly bring you business worth many times that figure...

Anthony Mazzorana wrote:

I think this is a very good alternative. If you have the languages, the best you can do is to deepen your training in translation, and university programmes will certainly help you achieve that. Look for information about them in the fora, since I think many of them have been discussed before.

Luisa Ramos, CT
Luisa Ramos, CT  Identity Verified
Vereinigte Staaten
Englisch > Spanisch
Continue translating, and yes to NYU Jan 28, 2011

Anthony Mazzorana wrote:

I'm still pretty new at this. I have the languages (Italian, Spanish) but am looking for the credentials, so I appreciate everyone's input.

You may be "pretty new" at this but you know how to write, you know the language. You would not believe some of the writings on these fora.

My advice is: continue translating and go for the NYU’s program as soon as possible. By the time you complete the credits and obtain your certificate, you will have the minimum years of experience that ATA requires to take their exam, three if I remember correctly. You can then take the ATA exam, if still interested, however, if $160 per year sounds expensive, the NYU program is cost-prohibitive.

I took the ATA exam twice. The first time I carried 11 dictionaries; the second time I carried only 2, one of them the Oxford. Even if you finish early, do not hand in your exam before the time is over. Review, review, and review… until “Judgment Day in the afternoon” if possible. These is what I observed in another candidate who passed the exam on the first occasion, when I failed. He carried a good general dictionary, he used every second, and he used his eraser a lot. I applied all these measures the second time, and it worked for me.

Williamson
Williamson  Identity Verified
Vereinigtes Königreich
Local time: 20:14
Flämisch > Englisch
+ ...
Normal Jan 30, 2011

Emma Goldsmith wrote:

Another detail that I noticed when I visited their website is that the exam you take is in both directions, into and out of your native language.
This is not normal practice.

Not normal, to get my Masters, you had to be able to translate bothways and obtain satisfactory marks.

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brasilien
Local time: 16:14
Englisch > Portugiesisch
+ ...
In stillem Gedenken
This was discussed before... Jan 31, 2011

... and I just added what I think should cover the issue at:
http://www.proz.com/forum/translator_resources/151340-has_anyone_heard_of_ctpcertified_translation_professional_program_by_global_translation_institute-page2.html#1674509

Spanien
Mitglied (2005)
Englisch > Spanisch
+ ...
The Global Translation Institute according to the European Commission Dec 29, 2012

An excerpt of "The Status of the Translation Profession in the European Union", a report from the European Commission in July 2012:
The Global Translation Institute1 is managed by Adriana Tassini from an
office in Portland, Oregon (although it seems not to be registered with the
Portland Revenue Bureau, which does not list it at the address given). It
sponsors a Certified Translation Professional (CTP) Designation Program2,
managed by Adriana Tassini with a telephone number in Massachusetts. It
links to free information on the translation industry and how to become a
translator3, all of which comprises some 40 short online articles by Adriana
Tassini. Adriana Tassini describes herself as a “Harvard University Alumni
Member with a background in international relations and translation work
in São Paulo, Brazil and Boston, Massachusetts (USA)”. She names no
completed degrees. Her declared training team comprises 12 people, none
of them with any formal training in translation. To become a Certified
Translation Professional, you pay US$227 per language pair, study the
learning materials (none of which is language-specific) and sit the online
exam. It is not clear to what extent the exam tests language skills, but the
programme offers certification in 22 language pairs, of which the training
faculty are presented as being experts in five.

Lirica (X)
Lirica (X)
Vereinigte Staaten
Portugiesisch > Englisch
+ ...
CTP Certification Jul 18, 2013

I bought the book by Adriana from Amazon and found it very helpful.
Doing an online certification is ideal if you are unable to travel miles and miles to attend classes!
There aren't classes in every language everywhere!

So, how do you get your certification?
Plenty of Spanish in the USA, but that is not my native language.

I am transitioning into translation, I have no formal qualifications in translation, I am (nearly) bilingual, having spent most
... See more
I bought the book by Adriana from Amazon and found it very helpful.
Doing an online certification is ideal if you are unable to travel miles and miles to attend classes!
There aren't classes in every language everywhere!

So, how do you get your certification?
Plenty of Spanish in the USA, but that is not my native language.

I am transitioning into translation, I have no formal qualifications in translation, I am (nearly) bilingual, having spent most of my life in an English speaking country.
The main problem I keep coming across is: how do you start working in translation if all certification requires experience? Agencies, as well as many clients, require certification.
Catch 22.
From the information on their website, I have not found ATA that helpful in my circumstances and I cannot relocate to attend classes.
Collapse

Vom Thema belegte Seiten:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderatoren dieses Forums
Nawal Kramer[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Would anyone recommend CPT certification?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »