Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]
Poll: Did you grow up in a bilingual household?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Damien Poussier
Damien Poussier  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 10:50
Member (2012)
English to French
+ ...
A thousand times yes. Jul 21, 2012

Erik Matson wrote:
Is trilingualism a feasible/desirable goal for me to set for my young son?

Definitely! Children can learn anything. You could be speaking 10 different languages and he'd be able to get those as quickly as anything.
Giving him that opportunity can only make him smarter, that's the only possible outcome.

Interlangue (X)
Interlangue (X)
Angola
English to French
+ ...
Not household Jul 21, 2012

… but environment. My Flemish parents had studied in French (as was customary in those days) before migrating to the south of the country. We spoke only Dutch at home and with the family at large (we were the only ones living in the French-speaking part of the country), French at school and later with friends and during extra-curricular activities.
Though I was fluent in Dutch, I never felt comfortable with my home language and never considered it as my mother tongue.
At the age o
... See more
… but environment. My Flemish parents had studied in French (as was customary in those days) before migrating to the south of the country. We spoke only Dutch at home and with the family at large (we were the only ones living in the French-speaking part of the country), French at school and later with friends and during extra-curricular activities.
Though I was fluent in Dutch, I never felt comfortable with my home language and never considered it as my mother tongue.
At the age of 17, I was totally immersed in an American family where mother and grandmother (the latter being a genuine immigrant) spoke Czech amongst them (and the grandmother who had worked in Vienna addressed me in German

Though I was “fluent” in 3 languages, I really became aware of my mother tongue (French) when studying translation at university, where a language purist (fellow student) pointed out every mix (vocabulary, syntax, grammar) to me.

My son was raised in one language at home/school but was exposed to other languages from infancy. He never was “taught” languages except for the regular school classes, but picked up several through friends, TV and the Internet.
Collapse

Erzsébet Czopyk
Erzsébet Czopyk  Identity Verified
Hungary
Member (2006)
Russian to Hungarian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
roots Jul 21, 2012

I grew up in a family on a countryside - no one speaks any foreign language in my family.

However, searching of my possible relatives - all my family members died or disappeared in time of the II. WW, come up with amazing results: my grandfather (my father's dad, a Polish origin) was a first secretary to the ambassador of Poland and had a flawless German (that time the city of Lvov - currenty Lviv, Ukraine - was a part of Poland. So he travelled a lot and met in Hungary my grandmoth
... See more
I grew up in a family on a countryside - no one speaks any foreign language in my family.

However, searching of my possible relatives - all my family members died or disappeared in time of the II. WW, come up with amazing results: my grandfather (my father's dad, a Polish origin) was a first secretary to the ambassador of Poland and had a flawless German (that time the city of Lvov - currenty Lviv, Ukraine - was a part of Poland. So he travelled a lot and met in Hungary my grandmother. After they married (and had the first child Leo) they still spoke and correspondence in German mixed with some Hungarian and Polish words. It was a nice thing to search in their correspondence, where each letter begins like that: meine liebe Apuka
meine liebe (=my dear in German) Apuka (=daddy in Hungarian

When I turned 13 I won a prize: a month of summercamp in Norway. That time in 1981 it was unbelievable I received my first passport in 13! This C.I.S.V. camp finally determined my life and my love to foreign languages.

Have a nice weekend, Liza
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Did you grow up in a bilingual household?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »