Pagine:   < [1 2]
Poll: How many times have you asked for an extended deadline?
Iniziatore argomento: ProZ.com Staff
C. Mouton
C. Mouton  Identity Verified
Francia
Local time: 01:45
Membro (2007)
Da Inglese a Francese
very often Mar 9, 2011

I tend to receive several jobs at a time for the same specific client.

They very often send me job-B when I am in the middle of job-A, and say that job-B has first priority... obviously, I have to ask for an extended dealine for job-A!!

It's very usual and works for both them and me.

Amandine Added
Amandine Added  Identity Verified
Regno Unito
Local time: 00:45
Membro (2010)
Da Inglese a Francese
+ ...
To this day not once Mar 9, 2011

To this day not once, but I'm quite new to this business. I always pay careful attention to deadlines and when a same client comes to me with several projects, I always try to discuss the deadline or to organize it. But as soon as I think I will not make it I always says so and give a manageable deadline.
So I sometimes says no to a job but I tink it is more professional to say no than to deliver a poor job.... But I am really sure it will happen sooner or later as I work alone so I imag
... See more
To this day not once, but I'm quite new to this business. I always pay careful attention to deadlines and when a same client comes to me with several projects, I always try to discuss the deadline or to organize it. But as soon as I think I will not make it I always says so and give a manageable deadline.
So I sometimes says no to a job but I tink it is more professional to say no than to deliver a poor job.... But I am really sure it will happen sooner or later as I work alone so I imagine contingence is unavoidable....
Collapse

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spagna
Local time: 00:45
Membro (2007)
Inglese
+ ...
Whose deadline? Mar 9, 2011

So far, accidents, illnesses and deaths have fitted in with my schedules but I'm sure I can't guarantee that in the future. As for missing deadlines due to too much work etc, I think that should normally be avoidable although not necessarily at all comfortable.

I was an hour late once when I thought I'd delivered on time - MY time rather than the client's time! And I did think I'd missed a deadline once but the clie
... See more
So far, accidents, illnesses and deaths have fitted in with my schedules but I'm sure I can't guarantee that in the future. As for missing deadlines due to too much work etc, I think that should normally be avoidable although not necessarily at all comfortable.

I was an hour late once when I thought I'd delivered on time - MY time rather than the client's time! And I did think I'd missed a deadline once but the client was perfectly happy with 7.30 pm being before close of business - I assume he was as overworked as I was!
Collapse

Ahmet Murati
Ahmet Murati  Identity Verified
Germania
Local time: 01:45
Da Inglese a Albanese
+ ...
Only once Mar 9, 2011

I mixed the time difference with the client.

Currently I working in a big project so I am not accepting any job offers
I am translating books now so no time to small projects

Terejimenez
Terejimenez  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:45
Da Inglese a Spagnolo
+ ...
In memoriam
Never after accepting the job Mar 9, 2011

I negotiate extension of deadlines before taking the jobs.

Stephanie Mitchel
Stephanie Mitchel  Identity Verified
Stati Uniti
Local time: 19:45
Da Francese a Inglese
Force majeure - ou bien mineure ;) Mar 9, 2011

If I have to, say, take my kid to the doctor unexpectedly, which has happened more than once this year, them's the breaks. Clients who are worth my sweat have already factored a certain wiggle room into the process on their end... so it's usually if not always manageable. And for direct clients? Even easier. They know I'm not trifling with them, and that when I do deliver, it won't require reworking on their end, so we both win.

Stephanie

Mara Ballarini
Mara Ballarini  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 09:45
Membro (2006)
Da Inglese a Italiano
+ ...
None after agreeing on it Mar 9, 2011

maryblack wrote:

I often refuse a job or negotiate a deadline before beginning because it seems unreasonable to me, but once I've start a job I don't believe I've ever missed a deadline.

Same here

Tanya Toneva
Tanya Toneva  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Local time: 02:45
Membro (2011)
Da Inglese a Bulgaro
+ ...
Not once so far... Mar 14, 2011

Terejimenez wrote:

I negotiate extension of deadlines before taking the jobs.

Same here - any negotiation takes place before accepting the job. Once I've started working on a project, I stick to the agreed deadline and even - where possible, of course - try to deliver early.

Pagine:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderatore(i) di questo Forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: How many times have you asked for an extended deadline?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »