Stran v tématu:   < [1 2 3]
Poll: Do you think (10-finger) touch typing enhances your translation speed?
Autor vlákna: ProZ.com Staff
Jenn Mercer
Jenn Mercer  Identity Verified
Spojené státy americké
Local time: 03:07
Člen (2009)
francouzština -> angličtina
Yes, but Jan 20, 2010

I am quite tempted to move to Dvorak in which I hope to be able to type even faster. I have not tested my speed in quite some time, but I think I'm around the 65-70 range. This appears to be a maximum speed for me with QWERTY and I think that some bad habits are so far ingrained with my touch typing that there is not a way to unearth them without starting over. I am also quite scared about RSI injuries which I think would be minimized by switching to a keyboard designed to make typing easier rat... See more
I am quite tempted to move to Dvorak in which I hope to be able to type even faster. I have not tested my speed in quite some time, but I think I'm around the 65-70 range. This appears to be a maximum speed for me with QWERTY and I think that some bad habits are so far ingrained with my touch typing that there is not a way to unearth them without starting over. I am also quite scared about RSI injuries which I think would be minimized by switching to a keyboard designed to make typing easier rather than harder.

I agree with many people who commented that it is not their typing speed, but their translation speed which is slowing them down. This is often the case, but there are usually a few good stretches in which I can type in English as fast as I can read in French. My main goal in increasing my typing speed however, is to decrease barriers with my original writing in English. Thoughts are fickle and will fly away if I do not pin them quickly with keyboard or pen.
Collapse

vixen
vixen  Identity Verified
Řecko
Local time: 10:07
angličtina -> nizozemština
+ ...
Trados short-cuts and ergonomic keyboard Jan 20, 2010

Christine Andersen wrote:

What really causes havoc is the ridiculous short cut in Trados for what they call Set/Close Next Open/Get or moving from one segment (sentence) to the next.
The short cut involves the Alt key and the + from the numerical keyboard right across the keyboard.

Well, the exercise seems to save me from RSS, which I get from the mouse, but the Wordfast short cut is smarter, especially on a laptop.

Am I the only person with this problem?

As a matter of fact, the Trados short-cuts are simply macros that can be changed, at least when you're working in Word. See http://www.proz.com/topic/7133 for more information on the subject. I can now use the same short-cuts in Trados and in a proprietary CAT tool from my best client, after changing the standard short-cuts in both.

Unfortunately, I have not found a way to change the short-cuts in TagEditor, which is especially frustrating since I use an ergonomic, adjustable keypad (http://www.goldtouch.com/p-64-goldtouch-adjustable-keyboard-black.aspx) without a numeric keypad.

I bought this keyboard, and an ergonomic mouse, after overstraining my pulse after a very large project with a tight deadline. I am a pretty fast touch-typist, but when I get stressed I tend to start hammering on the keys. ;-(

Although I have heard good things about Dragon, I'm still anxious about the learning curve and I'm afraid using Dragon will increase the time required for reviewing and correcting the text. Since I don't have to look at the keys while typing, I usually catch any typing errors as I go along and my first draft is pretty much my final version, too.

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
Spojené státy americké
Local time: 00:07
Člen (2003)
španělština -> angličtina
+ ...
Absolutely! I close my eyes and think about the translation Jan 20, 2010

Heike Kurtz wrote:

I learned it at an early age and on a mechanical typewriter (I was 13). Then I improved it during my training as a ... Secretary (you have to do at least 400 strokes/minute for the final exam). Since then, I have been typing every day at work, therefore it is as automated as, say, shifting the gears while I'm driving. In my case, it helps me a lot because I can type as fast as I think without concentrating on it and seeing the sentence I am working on in written form improves my thought process.
It all depends on the point of view. My typing speed matches my thinking speed and I do not produce "rough drafts". My first version is my last - subject to proofreading and a few minor changes of course. Is machine translation quicker in the end? But I must admit that we were trained thoroughly and took exams in speed touch-typing ... back then.

[Bearbeitet am 2010-01-20 10:14 GMT]

With two small differences (...), my experience is exactly the same as Heike's. My translations improved dramatically when I discovered that I could close my eyes and concentrate fully on the translation.

I postedit machine translation (and have done so on a regular basis since 1981). Often I find that I would have been faster without it. However, I recently translated a book with a very straightforward text and a lot of health statistics that came out very well in MT and I was glad I had it.

NMR (X)
NMR (X)
Francie
Local time: 09:07
francouzština -> nizozemština
+ ...
Same here Jan 21, 2010

Lori Cirefice wrote:

I am a fast touch typer, but that doesn't really enhance my translation speed at all. My brain is much slower than my fingers, I spend a lot of time thinking and researching before I actually type my translation.

I am a fast touch typer too (10 fingers, learnt that when I was 14 on a mechanic typewriter) but my hands have to slow down. The only advantage is that in case of long, boring or repetetive work the brain doesn't seem involved - the translation goes directly from my eyes to the keyboard. It has become a reflex, just as translating the menu in the restaurant instead of composing my meal.
Now it takes me 30 minutes to get used to a querty keyboard, and then 30 minutes to go back on an azerty keyboard, but I cannot stand an ergonomic one - too wide, too soft, I need real clicks, which drive crazy my children.

Jeff Allen
Jeff Allen  Identity Verified
Francie
Local time: 09:07
více jazyků
+ ...
touch typing in several languages and different keyboard layouts Mar 17, 2010

I wrote about touch typing in multiple languages (and different keyboard layouts) and its specific impact on translation speed in an article several years ago.

https://www.box.net/shared/kln6d9agbe

However, I would one additional learned since then. I noted in the article that my typing speed slowed down over the years. However, I was comparing between a manual/electronic
... See more
I wrote about touch typing in multiple languages (and different keyboard layouts) and its specific impact on translation speed in an article several years ago.

https://www.box.net/shared/kln6d9agbe

However, I would one additional learned since then. I noted in the article that my typing speed slowed down over the years. However, I was comparing between a manual/electronic typewriter in the first set of statistics with a computer keyboard in the more recent examples. I've read in another article since that the reactivity of computer keyboards is slower than with typewriters and does slow down typing speed.
This is thus to take into considering in my statements in that article. I don't want to try and find a manual or electronic typewriter to do a more accurate benchmark measurement. It wouldn't really change much about all that I carefully described in that article.

Jeff
Collapse

Stran v tématu:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderátor/moderátoři tohoto fóra
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you think (10-finger) touch typing enhances your translation speed?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »