Has anyone received payments via Remote?
Thread poster: Melanie Maiwald-Meylahn
Melanie Maiwald-Meylahn
Melanie Maiwald-Meylahn  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 00:10
English to German
+ ...
Mar 18

A new customer wants me to verify my bank account with "Remote". I have never heard of this payment method before and wanted to ask if anyone knows more about it?

Thank you!

Yakov Katsman
Yakov Katsman  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:10
Member (2016)
English to Russian
From GPT4 Mar 19

A new customer wants me to verify my bank account with "Remote". I have never heard of this payment method before and wanted to ask if anyone knows more about it?

ChatGPT

"Remote" appears to be a platform that supports various payment methods for invoices, rather than a payment method itself. Based on the information from Remote's support pages, it offers payment options such as bank transfers, ACH direct debit (for the US), SEPA direct debit (for Europe), BACS direct d
... See more

ChatGPT

"Remote" appears to be a platform that supports various payment methods for invoices, rather than a payment method itself. Based on the information from Remote's support pages, it offers payment options such as bank transfers, ACH direct debit (for the US), SEPA direct debit (for Europe), BACS direct debit (for the UK), and all major credit/debit cards. They do not accept payment via physical checks​​.

Setting up a payment method with Remote involves a few steps. For example, setting up ACH direct debit through Trustly involves choosing your bank from a list, signing into your bank, and then verifying your account with two small deposits that you'll later confirm on Remote's platform. This process helps verify and link your bank account for direct debit payments. Similarly, there are processes for manually setting up ACH direct debit if your bank isn't listed, as well as setting up SEPA and BACS direct debits depending on your currency and location​​.

In general, remote payments are transactions where the cardholder is not physically present, which covers a broad range of payment methods including online and phone payments, as well as recurring payments and subscriptions. These are typically secure, convenient for both customers and businesses, and can be processed quickly​​.

If you're unfamiliar with using Remote, it may be a good idea to review their detailed guides or contact their support team for assistance in setting up the payment method most suitable for your business.
Collapse

Jorge Payan

IrinaN
IrinaN
United States
Local time: 17:10
English to Russian
+ ...
Well... Mar 19

I found Swedish company Trustly but is seems like only GPT4 is privy to "the information from Remote's support pages" or a specific Remote platform. No hints whatsoever on the net about its existence. Did GPT4 come up with the generic online payment platform features and just attached it to this phantom Remote because it has been named as such in the request? Can our beloved AI do that too?

I think I was right but af
... See more
I found Swedish company Trustly but is seems like only GPT4 is privy to "the information from Remote's support pages" or a specific Remote platform. No hints whatsoever on the net about its existence. Did GPT4 come up with the generic online payment platform features and just attached it to this phantom Remote because it has been named as such in the request? Can our beloved AI do that too?

I think I was right but after Yakov's post deleted mine before publishing. Maybe my gut feeling was correct after all.
Collapse

Melanie Maiwald-Meylahn
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Mar 20

Thank you for your answers.

I did find the platform, but I cannot locate any reviews or independent sources mentioning it. I only found their website.

My problem is that a new agency client wants me to sign up for the platform to receive my payments. I am supposed to upload my ID and verify my account, even though I have no intention of using the platform myself. I just want to get paid.

The agency insists that this is all legitimate and that they have been
... See more
Thank you for your answers.

I did find the platform, but I cannot locate any reviews or independent sources mentioning it. I only found their website.

My problem is that a new agency client wants me to sign up for the platform to receive my payments. I am supposed to upload my ID and verify my account, even though I have no intention of using the platform myself. I just want to get paid.

The agency insists that this is all legitimate and that they have been using it for some time. However, I don't know the agency either, so I am a bit hesitant and worried.
Collapse

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:10
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
If you cannot verify either the client or the platform then don't bother Mar 20

Melanie Maiwald-Meylahn wrote:
The agency insists that this is all legitimate and that they have been using it for some time. However, I don't know the agency either, so I am a bit hesitant and worried.

When in doubt, say no.

Dan

kretslopp

Zea_Mays
Zea_Mays  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
? Mar 20

Is it this one? https://remote.com/global-hr/contractor-management
Anyway, why should you verify your bank account?

Melanie Maiwald-Meylahn
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, that is the one... Mar 21

Yes, this is the platform.

And yes, that is what I have been asking myself. Why should I verify my account, send my ID, and download an app for two-step verification when I only want to get my money transferred to my bank account?

But it seems some other big payment providers require the same. So it might not be that unusual. But then I know that the other payment providers are legit while I have no idea about remote.com.

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:10
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Next step Mar 21

Melanie Maiwald-Meylahn wrote:
So it might not be that unusual.

Okay, looks like it might be legit. Now turn your full attention to this potential client. Can you find them in the Blue Board? In paymentpractices.net? In the Zahlungspraxis mailing list?

If the answer is "no", this is a risky situation.

Remember that scammers depend on you ignoring that little voice of caution in your head, the one that says "There's something not quite right here..."

Dan

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida

philgoddard
philgoddard
United States
German to English
+ ...
I'm struggling with it right now Mar 23

A customer I've been working with for about thirty years has switched to Remote, and it's a total pain.

I've had to give it my entire life history, and proof of identity, even though I know the customer well and have worked inhouse.

I've had to contact Remote's customer support department, and they have not been helpful.

It is legitimate, but be prepared for some hassle. I miss the days when I could just send an invoice and receive a payment in my bank acc
... See more
A customer I've been working with for about thirty years has switched to Remote, and it's a total pain.

I've had to give it my entire life history, and proof of identity, even though I know the customer well and have worked inhouse.

I've had to contact Remote's customer support department, and they have not been helpful.

It is legitimate, but be prepared for some hassle. I miss the days when I could just send an invoice and receive a payment in my bank account.

Technology is supposed to make our lives less complicated, not more.

[Edited at 2024-03-23 18:08 GMT]
Collapse

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Michele Fauble

Melanie Maiwald-Meylahn
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for your help and the information Mar 26

Thank you for your help and the information!

It is very helpful to know that it is legit. But yes, it sounds like they want to know your entire life history just to receive your payment.

I told the agency that I will not start the verification process for Remote until after I start working on my first assignment for them. After all, they might never send an actual job ...

The agency has only two Blueboard entries, one with a rating of 5 and the other with a
... See more
Thank you for your help and the information!

It is very helpful to know that it is legit. But yes, it sounds like they want to know your entire life history just to receive your payment.

I told the agency that I will not start the verification process for Remote until after I start working on my first assignment for them. After all, they might never send an actual job ...

The agency has only two Blueboard entries, one with a rating of 5 and the other with a rating of 1, so I am a bit hesitant anyway.
Collapse

philgoddard

Zea_Mays
Zea_Mays  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
I would refuse Mar 26

philgoddard wrote:

I've had to give it my entire life history, and proof of identity

I don't think this is legitimate and would refuse to register.
Have you tried to talk with the client? Are they aware of the issue with sensitive data?
It looks like the platform attracts with taking due diligence from the clients.

Maciek Drobka

philgoddard
philgoddard
United States
German to English
+ ...
It's weird.. Mar 29

...that the customer is asking you to verify your bank account BEFORE you've done any work for them.

But Remote is definitely genuine. And if their customer service is anything to go by, they're well named.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Has anyone received payments via Remote?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »