Frank van Overveld
Netherlands
Local time: 19:08
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Me too Dec 22, 2023

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida wrote:

When I started freelancing some 40 years ago I had some awful editing experiences that taught me to never accept a project without having a good look at it first...

This is what I usually do as well. But since I contacted them some time ago about exactly the same issues, this is giving me an opportunity to assess their integrity.

Frank van Overveld
Frank van Overveld
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes Dec 22, 2023

Lingua 5B wrote:

I can see a lot of loose attitude and terms here…”maybe”, “they seem to”, etc.

You need to stipulate stronger terms, this is a business relationship, not a friendship. It sounds like you are improving AI, doing MTPE or cleaning very bad test translations, which is all very tiring. This tiring factor also needs to go into the price, along with the # of hours.

When you emailed them about this, what did they reply? Personally, I would politely withdraw.

I have indeed reached the point where I can no longer trust them to act with integrity.

As mentioned before, in the past terms were much clearer and compensation was fair.

But issues have accumulated and have become unsustainable to maintain a healthy business relationship.

So they have an opportunity now to show if they really value me and my work and if they are serious about their running their business with integrity, or are simply being exploitative and/or incompetent.

It's definitely not MTPE or AI improvement, it's human translation with a detailed style guide and requirements. I regularly translate projects for this account myself. However, this time they handed it to an amateur and gave it to me to fix the mess.

[Modifié le 2023-12-22 11:19 GMT]

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
The infamous required LQA Dec 22, 2023

You have my sympathy. I'm sure I know what had happened.

The client has a legal requirement to do a translation with an LQA round (revision in which errors are classified by type and severity) for quality control. The client gives the job to agency A (which deals with all European languages) and gives them a budget. Agency A contracts agency B (which deals with Benelux languages). Agency B sends the translation to agency C (who has a Dutch translator) and the LQA to agency D (
... See more

The client has a legal requirement to do a translation with an LQA round (revision in which errors are classified by type and severity) for quality control. The client gives the job to agency A (which deals with all European languages) and gives them a budget. Agency A contracts agency B (which deals with Benelux languages). Agency B sends the translation to agency C (who has a Dutch translator) and the LQA to agency D (who also has a Dutch translator). Agency C can't find their usual translator and so they hire a complete newbie off of the internet. The translation is terrible, but agency C doesn't know that, or perhaps they suspect it but their profit margins are so thin that they don't care. The reviser from agency D now has to do three hours' work in half an hour. Agency D's hands are tied... there is no way they can get six times as much money from agency B, and the bad translation isn't even their fault. Agency C might be penalized for part of the payment, but they won't be required to pay anything extra (and the main thing agency C is concerned with is that they prevented agency B from discovering a new, more reliable partner).

This type of LQA does have a certain speed that "everybody" assumes about it. From my experience, it's about 1000 words per hour. So, if the word count is 1000 words, you can assume they'll pay for 1 hour and they're expecting you to invoice for 1 hour (regardless of how long it actually took). Revisers are forced to bend their principles about what are considered "errors", depending on how bad the translations are, because you only have 1 hour. Revisers thus take a risk that their agency clients will receive complaints about the end-product that is the result of them not fixing all of the things that would normally be considered errors.

You mention 1600 words per hour, but there is no way to do an LQA at 1600 words per hour unless there are no more than 5-10 errors. The bulk of the time is taken up not by the revision but by copy/pasting text into the spreadsheet, selecting options from the dropdown list, and writing comments.
Collapse

Zea_Mays
Zea_Mays  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
It's QA Dec 22, 2023

Frank van Overveld wrote:

They called it proofreading but this is the job description (sensitive info censored with XXXX)

🧩Notes for linguists:
- Please use informal for NLNL, and formal for NLBE
- For XXXX, all product names should be kept in English. XXXX specific terminology should not be used as a reference for XXXX translations.
- Please use double quotation marks!
- Please make sure to double check all UI instances (read the instruction files)
- In case of queries: Please ask your query at the relevant segment in XXXX, then report in the comments in XXXX: 1. Segment number, 2. Question asked.
- - Regarding alt-text: we will always specify so in the instructions if it needs to be translated, and the final word count will include this text. In those cases where we don't include such a note, the alt text can remain as it is, especially if we have already marked the affected string as reviewed. This is the case for those images whose alt text is the name of the file.
REV only - Please do not approve segments in XXXX!
REV only - Scorecard: Please always add the language pair and for the Evaluator, you can just add XXXX.
Remember to add comments to the scorecards, not only the error and correction, so she understands what the error is about. Please ONLY log changes made to strings translated by us, the strings that are only for review in all projects shouldn't be added to the scorecard.

As you can see, this is not a simple proofreading, but a revision of a translation with very detailed instructions, including a style guide and UI interfaces and a Help Center that must be checked online to verify terminology.

They also specified adding detailed feedback to help the translator improve.

You actually did QA (Quality Assessment) plus editing, one more reason to charge for the time spent.

From what I understand, the agency I work for receives this work from another agency. So they are at the bottom.

It seems to me that they are more or less tied to whatever this other agency is paying them.

However, right now it is me that is paying the price with my time to carry out this work to professional standards according to the job description.

I have indeed reached the point where I am ready to take legal action if they do not pay for the work actually delivered.

They are now "discussing" my request for clarifications on the initial compension amount offered.

You are right I should have asked for clearer terms.

However, it's like I have to do this very often whenever they offer a job, because they don't provide the compensation amount or allocated time. I asked them specifically to do that about 2 months ago. I don't understand why that is so hard. It seems management is poor.

I think the problem is the approach that has been used so far - they expect you to continue accepting work without agreeing on rates beforehand. And by accepting to do so, you are in part agreeing to what will be offered afterwards.

While this may have been okay in the past, since you have noticed that things have gotten worse in the past year, it is " adventurous" to still accept jobs from them without knowing in advance what you will be paid.

I imagine now there will be some negotiating on the final rate, but before accepting any other job from them I would ask for agreeing on rates in advance.

[Bearbeitet am 2023-12-22 14:07 GMT]

Christel Zipfel
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Frank van Overveld
Magnus Rubensson
Ingvild Karlsen

Charlie Bavington
Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:08
French to English
You have your answer Dec 22, 2023

this is giving me an opportunity to assess their integrity.

I appreciate you would rather keep working with these people under a decent set of terms & conditions. And times are tough.

However, they are clearly not that keen to keep your services if they are maintaining a tough stance over 2.5 hours of time.

I'd be grateful the dispute is only a matter of what, €100 or so? And it seems counterproductive to spend far more than 2.5 hours of time to secure payment for 2.5 hours of work when the relationship has, it seems, turned sour.

I think I'd send a final invoice for 3 hours work (not 30 mins), maybe add a note referring to your discussions with them and the fact you feel 3 hours is fair, and forget it. If they reply insisting you change the invoice, then change the invoice and move them into your "ex clients" folder. Like I say, it could be a lot more money they are stealing from you next time. They have no integrity to assess.

Frank van Overveld
Dan Lucas
Michele Fauble
Beatriz Ramírez de Haro
Philip Lees
Evgeny Sidorenko

Zea_Mays
Zea_Mays  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
QA vs editing vs proofreading Dec 22, 2023

Samuel Murray wrote:

This type of LQA does have a certain speed that "everybody" assumes about it. From my experience, it's about 1000 words per hour.

QA of 1000 words per hour is only given with flawless translations. With just a few mistakes you are already beyond that time frame.
1000 words per hour is rather the average for proofreading (checking only the target file for simple punctuation and spelling errors; no style editing, rewriting or logging of mistakes involved).

Frank van Overveld
Natalia Novichenko
Ingvild Karlsen

Frank van Overveld
Frank van Overveld
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Nailed it I think Dec 22, 2023

Samuel Murray wrote:

The client has a legal requirement to do a translation with an LQA round (revision in which errors are classified by type and severity) for quality control. The client gives the job to agency A (which deals with all European languages) and gives them a budget. Agency A contracts agency B (which deals with Benelux languages). Agency B sends the translation to agency C (who has a Dutch translator) and the LQA to agency D (who also has a Dutch translator). Agency C can't find their usual translator and so they hire a complete newbie off of the internet. The translation is terrible, but agency C doesn't know that, or perhaps they suspect it but their profit margins are so thin that they don't care. The reviser from agency D now has to do three hours' work in half an hour. Agency D's hands are tied... there is no way they can get six times as much money from agency B, and the bad translation isn't even their fault. Agency C might be penalized for part of the payment, but they won't be required to pay anything extra (and the main thing agency C is concerned with is that they prevented agency B from discovering a new, more reliable partner).

This type of LQA does have a certain speed that "everybody" assumes about it. From my experience, it's about 1000 words per hour. So, if the word count is 1000 words, you can assume they'll pay for 1 hour and they're expecting you to invoice for 1 hour (regardless of how long it actually took). Revisers are forced to bend their principles about what are considered "errors", depending on how bad the translations are, because you only have 1 hour. Revisers thus take a risk that their agency clients will receive complaints about the end-product that is the result of them not fixing all of the things that would normally be considered errors.

You mention 1600 words per hour, but there is no way to do an LQA at 1600 words per hour unless there are no more than 5-10 errors. The bulk of the time is taken up not by the revision but by copy/pasting text into the spreadsheet, selecting options from the dropdown list, and writing comments.

Thank you Samuel for your detailed assessment of the situation.

I think it is very close to if not exactly what happened.

I suspect the translator came from their own agency, but the hierarchical chain is probably correct.

I also find it ridiculous to assume we can carry out this work at a speed of 1600 words per hour.

The only thing you can get at this rate is garbage if the job was carried out poorly. Might as well not do a revision at all.

In addition they require me to train their translator. I should be paid for sharing my expertise to train their asset.

I am going to put my foot down with this one and draw my conclusions.

[Modifié le 2023-12-22 14:16 GMT]

Frank van Overveld
Frank van Overveld
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Fair Dec 22, 2023

Charlie Bavington wrote:

this is giving me an opportunity to assess their integrity.

I appreciate you would rather keep working with these people under a decent set of terms & conditions. And times are tough.

However, they are clearly not that keen to keep your services if they are maintaining a tough stance over 2.5 hours of time.

I'd be grateful the dispute is only a matter of what, €100 or so? And it seems counterproductive to spend far more than 2.5 hours of time to secure payment for 2.5 hours of work when the relationship has, it seems, turned sour.

I think I'd send a final invoice for 3 hours work (not 30 mins), maybe add a note referring to your discussions with them and the fact you feel 3 hours is fair, and forget it. If they reply insisting you change the invoice, then change the invoice and move them into your "ex clients" folder. Like I say, it could be a lot more money they are stealing from you next time. They have no integrity to assess.

Thank you Charlie.

I agree they would be foolish to argue over a hundred bucks and risk losing a loyal freelancer with a good track record.

I'm still giving them the benefit of the doubt as I really think it's more incompetence than bad intentions, but this is their last chance.

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Yes, we call it scam Dec 22, 2023

However, this time they handed it to an amateur and gave it to me to fix the mess.

We typically refer to this as scam.

Particularly problematic because, in the middle of a mutually beneficial relationship, they hired an amateur behind your back, trying to save money, and when the amateur failed, then trying to serve it to you to fix the mess using poker tricks. Very, very problematic. Your having second thoughts on the basis of “but they used to be fair” is also slightly problematic.

The least they could have done was to inform you about a shift in their project management model in advance, ie. “cheap amateur followed by a qualified proofreader who will work cheaply if we hypnotize them with poker tricks and hold them hostage”, kind of model. This model was in their sight since the beginning of your relationship, it’s just that you were not aware of it. They were just looking for the right moment to shift and start saving money.

I once had a direct client like this. Their managers, extreme politeness, extremely high rate, extremely great feedback on my work. It was going on for a year or two and then one day, out of the blue, I was sent a mess done by somebody else to clean at cheap rate. But since I saw this scam a thousand times, I knew immediately what to do and that was not to comply, like you did. I offered them work from scratch at my regular rate instead and explained why.

Frank van Overveld
Magnus Rubensson

Frank van Overveld
Frank van Overveld
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It feels like a scam Dec 22, 2023

Lingua 5B wrote:

However, this time they handed it to an amateur and gave it to me to fix the mess.

We typically refer to this as scam.

Particularly problematic because, in the middle of a mutually beneficial relationship, they hired an amateur behind your back, trying to save money, and when the amateur failed, then trying to serve it to you to fix the mess using poker tricks. Very, very problematic. Your having second thoughts on the basis of “but they used to be fair” is also slightly problematic.

The least they could have done was to inform you about a shift in their project management model in advance, ie. “cheap amateur followed by a qualified proofreader who will work cheaply if we hypnotize them with poker tricks and hold them hostage”, kind of model. This model was in their sight since the beginning of your relationship, it’s just that you were not aware of it. They were just looking for the right moment to shift and start saving money.

I once had a direct client like this. Their managers, extreme politeness, extremely high rate, extremely great feedback on my work. It was going on for a year or two and then one day, out of the blue, I was sent a mess done by somebody else to clean at cheap rate. But since I saw this scam a thousand times, I knew immediately what to do and that was not to comply, like you did. I offered them work from scratch at my regular rate instead and explained why.

I agree it feels like a scam.

Trying to take advantage of my professional standards and backing down when payment is due.

I put my foot down and they agreed to pay, reluctantly.

Not a word about the quality I deliver or the fact that the work was carried out according to proper standards. All I get to hear is "we have a quota of 1600 words per hour" and "if you can't do it that fast we don't want to hire you for this anymore".

Even though they have detailed explanations why such a quota is nonsensical if you have to revise and QA a trash translation.

It shows me where their priorities are and it's not with quality or respect for any standards or the people working for them.

[Modifié le 2023-12-22 18:10 GMT]

Zea_Mays
Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei

Charlie Bavington
French to English
Fair enough Dec 22, 2023

I'm still giving them the benefit of the doubt as I really think it's more incompetence than bad intentions, but this is their last chance.

Well, you know the full background and as well as having more info than us, you also no doubt have an intuitive feeling about the situation overall.

And it's always easy for people with no skin in the game to yell "ditch them"!

My key tip would just be: don't spend more than 2.5 hours trying to get paid for 2.5 hours. Otherwise you can easily end up losing 5+ hours of money.
(Some people might even recommend a shorter cut-off period than that!)

Hope it works out.

Frank van Overveld
Magnus Rubensson

Frank van Overveld
Frank van Overveld
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Paid Dec 22, 2023

For anyone reading the topic who encounters a similar situation:

They offered to pay one hour worth of work after I complained the first time.

I told them I disagreed, that I carried out the work they asked me to do and they owed me three hours of work. They would receive an invoice and I expect payment.

Manager complained about not being happy, that I should have communicated better etc.

I thought that was very manipulative, thanked them for p
... See more
For anyone reading the topic who encounters a similar situation:

They offered to pay one hour worth of work after I complained the first time.

I told them I disagreed, that I carried out the work they asked me to do and they owed me three hours of work. They would receive an invoice and I expect payment.

Manager complained about not being happy, that I should have communicated better etc.

I thought that was very manipulative, thanked them for payment and explained them once more their quota was ridiculous in case the translation is trash.

But bottom line is I got paid.

I don't get the impression they see any fault of their own.

So this will be the last revision job I've done for them unless they change their approach.

Thanks everyone for your input and encouragements.

I will take to heart the advice to make sure terms and conditions are clear beforehand.

Wishing everyone happy holidays and a successful 2024.

[Modifié le 2023-12-22 18:42 GMT]
Collapse

Zea_Mays
Charlie Bavington
Christel Zipfel
Dan Lucas
Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei
Ingvild Karlsen

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Depends Dec 22, 2023

Charlie Bavington wrote:
My key tip would just be: don't spend more than 2.5 hours trying to get paid for 2.5 hours. Otherwise you can easily end up losing 5+ hours of money.

That only applies if you are booked solid.

Although quite how you’d spend more than 2.5 hours firing off a few stern emails I don’t know…

Yasutomo Kanazawa
Yasutomo Kanazawa  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 02:08
Member (2005)
English to Japanese
+ ...
Glad to hear that you go paid, but... Dec 23, 2023

So this will be the last revision job I've done for them unless they change their approach.

Wishing everyone happy holidays and a successful 2024.

[Modifié le 2023-12-22 18:42 GMT]

Do you think it is a wise idea to resume working with them again after all this mess?
They tricked you once (intentionally, no doubt), and there is no guarantee that they will pull the same trick again with a different reason.

Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei

Charlie Bavington
French to English
Not just that Dec 23, 2023

Christopher Schröder wrote:

Although quite how you’d spend more than 2.5 hours firing off a few stern emails I don’t know…

Frank has also spent a fair while discussing the issue on here, and doubtless pondering his responses. It all adds up. Ten minutes here, 10 minutes there. I was including that time.

And yup, there was the implication that this was time that could otherwise be spent earning money elsewhere. If it's the last €100 Frank's ever gonna earn, naturally he could devote the rest of his life to hunting it down, if he saw fit

Christopher Schröder

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Agency pays 1/6 of actual time spent

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »