Bosnia and Herzegovina
Local time: 17:04
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
General principles Jun 27, 2023

Robert Rietvelt wrote:

Anton Konashenok wrote:

If Turkey is being abandoned by financial institutions, a viable solution may be to open a one-person business in the EU, receive payments into an EU account, and then spend money in Turkey using an EU debit card.

.... is it possible for non-EU residents to open a EU bankaccount (in a EU country)? Or am I missing something here?

As far as I’m aware, you need a residential address for a legit bank account. So I’m wondering how these numerous payment services provide alleged bank accounts to everyone. Paypal doesn’t, because that would be against the law. I need to use my local accounts for everything.

Robert Rietvelt

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Feel sorry? Jun 27, 2023

Baran Keki wrote:

Lingua 5B wrote:

So no cent for deductions, and 10 EUR for a transfer of any amount? Did this exist with Wise? No wonder it doesn’t work any more then, as this way the payment system is not making any money at all.

There are no bank/service charges in SEPA countries if you have an EU IBAN, and it doesn't cost you an arm and a leg to transfer sums into a non-EU country. I feel sorry for you if you've lost hundreds, if not thousands of EUR over the years through Paypal.
Wise is doing good worldwide, they're pulling out of Turkey thanks to mismanagement and f*cked up economy here.
Once again, I implore our dear colleagues to suggest similar money transfer services like Wise that they personally use.
Thank you.

Same cuts are taken for bank transfers, it’s called a business cost, no need to get emotional about it. I don’t use PayPal that much, but it’s stable and I prefer it to dubious new systems.

How do you get an EU IBAN if you are not an EU citizen? Something obviously wasn’t legit with that Wise system, that’s why it ceased to exist. PayPal didn’t, it still works.

[Edited at 2023-06-27 21:45 GMT]

Jean Dimitriadis
Jean Dimitriadis  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
(Trasfer)Wise Jun 27, 2023

@Baran, I can't find an official statement about Wise pulling out from Turkey. Did you receive an email about this?

@Lingua 5B Wise does not cease to exist, only offering support to a specific country (Turkey). From what I understand, PayPal itself has stopped offering services there a while ago.

Wise was formerly known as Transferwise. It's been around since 2011, was admitted in London's stock exchange in 2021, is registered with the FCA and the FinCEN and has a posit
... See more
@Baran, I can't find an official statement about Wise pulling out from Turkey. Did you receive an email about this?

@Lingua 5B Wise does not cease to exist, only offering support to a specific country (Turkey). From what I understand, PayPal itself has stopped offering services there a while ago.

Wise was formerly known as Transferwise. It's been around since 2011, was admitted in London's stock exchange in 2021, is registered with the FCA and the FinCEN and has a positive balance sheet. It is not shutting down.

It offers personal and business accounts (as PayPal does) and the possibility of local account details in supported countries for receiving money, just like Payoneer does. I find their fee model to be more fair, transparent and competitive than Paypal's and they have many happy customers and professionals, as also evidenced on the ProZ forums over the years.

[Edited at 2023-06-27 22:59 GMT]
Collapse

Baran Keki

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
OK Jun 27, 2023

In my country, I have to provide all sorts of documents and appear in person to open a bank account as a resident. And I like it that way, and want to keep it that way. I like my bank because it requests that. I like PayPal because it links me only to my verified residential bank account (see above). Yes, we interact in the physical world. I was even invited to some focus groups by my bank, as a client (and paid for it). The fees at my bank are pretty friendly. As long as I have this, I don’t ... See more
In my country, I have to provide all sorts of documents and appear in person to open a bank account as a resident. And I like it that way, and want to keep it that way. I like my bank because it requests that. I like PayPal because it links me only to my verified residential bank account (see above). Yes, we interact in the physical world. I was even invited to some focus groups by my bank, as a client (and paid for it). The fees at my bank are pretty friendly. As long as I have this, I don’t need any remote payment services.

To each their own.
Collapse

Jean Dimitriadis
Jean Dimitriadis  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Declaration Jun 28, 2023

In France, those accounts can (and ought to) be declared the same way as PayPal accounts.

Relevant proof (and business if for pro use) documents are required for opening a Wise account.

No much difference there. It is just another service, an option where available.

Baran Keki
Baran Keki  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 18:04
English to Turkish
TOPIC STARTER
"Due to new local regulation changes" Jun 28, 2023

Jean Dimitriadis wrote:

Yes, I've received an email from them. They say they're pulling out "due to new local regulation changes" (just like Paypal did in 2016). So it's not a conscious decision on their part, but they appear to be forced to stop their services thanks to the geniuses ruling the country (the same lot who asked Youtube a few years ago to 'open an office in Turkey and start paying taxes' to provide their services to Turkish people or they could do one).
I have a couple of risky ideas as to how to get round this, but if they backfire on me I might be in for a serious financial jeopardy, so I need to find a service provider exactly like Wise ASAP.
If all else fails, I'll have to consider moving to somewhere like South Africa or Uruguay... So come on people, help me out here!
*There is nothing wrong with S. Africa or Uruguay btw.

Jean Dimitriadis

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
What's wrong with normal bank transfers? Jun 28, 2023

Baran Keki wrote:
If all else fails, I'll have to consider moving to somewhere like South Africa or Uruguay... So come on people, help me out here!
*There is nothing wrong with S. Africa or Uruguay btw.

Come to Wales!

expressisverbis
Tony Keily

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 16:04
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Robert Jun 28, 2023

Robert Rietvelt wrote:

Anton Konashenok wrote:

If Turkey is being abandoned by financial institutions, a viable solution may be to open a one-person business in the EU, receive payments into an EU account, and then spend money in Turkey using an EU debit card.

.... is it possible for non-EU residents to open a EU bankaccount (in a EU country)? Or am I missing something here?

AFAIK a foreigner citizen needs an EU residence permit to open a bank account in the EU. I do wonder however what happens with all those foreigner companies that claim being located in the UK or in the USA?

[Edited at 2023-06-28 14:36 GMT]

Cristina Crişan
Cristina Crişan  Identity Verified
Romania
English to Romanian
+ ...
official statement Jun 28, 2023

https://wise.com/help/articles/18ewShSmFf7tJ7mm2Zp6H7/restrictions-for-customers-based-in-turkiye

It says ”Others can also continue to use Wise to send money to your Turkish bank account”.

You could try asking your customers to use WISE to pay directly into your USD and EUR Turkish bank accounts.

Baran Keki
Jean Dimitriadis

ATIL KAYHAN
ATIL KAYHAN  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Member (2007)
Turkish to English
+ ...
A Forbes Article Worth Reading Jun 28, 2023

I came across this article about international money transfers at Forbes. The article recommends only 3 methods to transfer money internationally: PayPal, WorldRemit and Wise. Since 2 of these are out, we are left with WorldRemit. Drum rolls, please!

https://www.forbes.com/advisor/money-transfer/best-ways-to-send-money/

I also found the
... See more
I came across this article about international money transfers at Forbes. The article recommends only 3 methods to transfer money internationally: PayPal, WorldRemit and Wise. Since 2 of these are out, we are left with WorldRemit. Drum rolls, please!

https://www.forbes.com/advisor/money-transfer/best-ways-to-send-money/

I also found the following information about WorldRemit on the web. It appears that it is a UK company, and it works in Turkey.

https://www.worldremit.com/en-us/turkey?amountfrom=100.00&selectfrom=us¤cyfrom=usd&selectto=tr¤cyto=usd&transfer=csh

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WorldRemit

This concludes the current search about payment methods. Hope to see you again soon.
Collapse

Baran Keki

Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
@Teresa Jun 28, 2023

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida wrote:

Robert Rietvelt wrote:

Anton Konashenok wrote:

I do wonder however what happens with all those foreigner companies that claim being located in the UK or in the USA?

[Edited at 2023-06-28 14:36 GMT]

Nothing, big bucks open big doors. Unfortunately, does not go up for us.

Anton Konashenok
Anton Konashenok  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
French to English
+ ...
EU bank account Jun 28, 2023

Robert Rietvelt wrote:

Anton Konashenok wrote:

Yes, you are missing an important point: a non-EU resident needs to start a business (e.g. a one-person limited liability company) domiciled in an EU country. This business will be an EU entity, fully entitled to all normal banking services.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 16:04
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Baran Jun 29, 2023

Please read Mike Donlin's post about Egypt:

https://www.proz.com/forum/money_matters/362801-paypal_in_egypt.html?phpv_redirected=1

Yasutomo Kanazawa
Yasutomo Kanazawa  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 00:04
Member (2005)
English to Japanese
+ ...
My Experience with Payoneer Jul 1, 2023

Baran Keki wrote:

Thanks for your comments. Though I'd appreciate it if you would refrain from engaging in discussions about Paypal (thankfully it doesn't work in Turkey) in this particular thread.
What I'm looking for is a payment solution that will:
* give me a legit EU bank account (IBAN, Swift, the lot) into which my clients will send money without any deductions. For example, 20 EUR sent from France will be received in that account as 20 EUR, not as 19.10 EUR, if that makes sense? And I want to be able to receive money from individuals and companies alike (for instance, AFAIK, Payoneer doesn't allow you to receive money from people using their own personal bank accounts, it has to be a corporate account, which is no good for me, as I have individual LSPs paying me).
* I want the same for USD, GBP, AUD and CAD as well.
* I don't want to pay a king's ransom to transfer monies into my bank account in Turkey. With Wise, the transfer of 2000 EUR from my Wise EUR account into my own bank account (EUR account, not Turkish money account) in Turkey would cost me 7 or 8 EUR at most. I suspect I'll have to pay 50 to 60 EUR for the same transfer using Payoneer, and I don't want that. And also with Wise you get your money from EU to a non-EU country within 3 or 4 hours, with Payoneer it takes days.
I hope I've made what I have in mind clear. I implore our South American, African and Asian colleagues to join this discussion, and help me out. Are you all using Paypal or Wise? Don't you use anything other than them? Or are you all using international bank transfer for sums as little as 30 EUR (and pay 12 or 15 EUR in bank charges)?
I'd also like to hear people's experiences with Payoneer. I haven't actually transferred huge sums of EUR using Payoneer, my experience is limited to USD payments only, but I remember paying unconscionable amounts of money in fees (and I know for a fact that they take a small 'cut' for each SEPA bank transfer for EUR).
I hear good things about Currencyfair, and I'd like to know if anyone has used it the way I describe here. I'm also curious about Transfergo.
Please note that I'm interested in EUR to EUR, USD to USD transfers, I don't much care about FX rates and such. The main thing is the cheapness of transfer fees, and reliability of course.
Your input and experiences will be greatly appreciated.

As to your question, I use Paypal and bank transfer.
Since Paypal is not an option in Turkey, I will not go further regarding Paypal.

One of my clients started using Wise a few months ago, but basically it's same as bank transfer, except that I get an email
notification from Wise informing me that my client has made a payment through Wise and the money shall be in your bank account by such and such a date (the notification comes a day or two before the money reaches my account).

The only thing I can share is about Payoneer.
I once worked with a Danish agency where this agency makes payment to by Payonner only to LSPs living ouside the EU (I don't know why they refuse to make payment via bank transfer to people outside EU and the option of bank transfer is only available to LSPs within the EU).

Anyway, the amount to be paid was 120 Euros, and Payoneer deducted 10 Euros for handling charges, and when 110 Euros reached my bank, my bank deducted 1500 JPY (in today's conversion rate, 1 Euro =150 JPY, so 10 Euros). I felt like I was ripped off. Don't you have this feeling that you are being ripped off when handling charges are deducted more than once from the original sender? On the otherhand, I don't feel ripped off by Paypal, since they only charge you a certain amount of handling charges according to the money received, and in case of Japan, if you transfer the funds of over 50,000 JPY in your Paypal account to your bank account, the transfer fee is free. I'm not saying that Paypal is the best, but receiving small payments such as 20 Euros or so by bank transfer would be quite a mess because the bank automatically deducts 10 Euros regardless of the amount received, whereas Paypal would deduct maybe 2 or 3 Euros despite the fact that the conversion rate they offer is miserable.

If Payoneer worked like Paypal where handling charges are deducted once, even if they deducted 20 Euros total and I can get 100 Euros, I feel way better than getting 10 Euros deducted by Payoneer and another 10 Euros by my bank.

Baran Keki

Baran Keki
Baran Keki  Identity Verified
Türkiye
English to Turkish
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jul 1, 2023

Yasutomo Kanazawa wrote:

As to your question, I use Paypal and bank transfer.
Since Paypal is not an option in Turkey, I will not go further regarding Paypal.

One of my clients started using Wise a few months ago, but basically it's same as bank transfer, except that I get an email
notification from Wise informing me that my client has made a payment through Wise and the money shall be in your bank account by such and such a date (the notification comes a day or two before the money reaches my account).

The only thing I can share is about Payoneer.
I once worked with a Danish agency where this agency makes payment to by Payonner only to LSPs living ouside the EU (I don't know why they refuse to make payment via bank transfer to people outside EU and the option of bank transfer is only available to LSPs within the EU).

Anyway, the amount to be paid was 120 Euros, and Payoneer deducted 10 Euros for handling charges, and when 110 Euros reached my bank, my bank deducted 1500 JPY (in today's conversion rate, 1 Euro =150 JPY, so 10 Euros). I felt like I was ripped off. Don't you have this feeling that you are being ripped off when handling charges are deducted more than once from the original sender? On the otherhand, I don't feel ripped off by Paypal, since they only charge you a certain amount of handling charges according to the money received, and in case of Japan, if you transfer the funds of over 50,000 JPY in your Paypal account to your bank account, the transfer fee is free. I'm not saying that Paypal is the best, but receiving small payments such as 20 Euros or so by bank transfer would be quite a mess because the bank automatically deducts 10 Euros regardless of the amount received, whereas Paypal would deduct maybe 2 or 3 Euros despite the fact that the conversion rate they offer is miserable.

If Payoneer worked like Paypal where handling charges are deducted once, even if they deducted 20 Euros total and I can get 100 Euros, I feel way better than getting 10 Euros deducted by Payoneer and another 10 Euros by my bank.

Thanks for sharing your experience with Payoneer. I can't comprehend why you would be okay with an international bank transfer for the sum of 120 EUR. If you're doing this with your clients on a regular basis, then you must be losing, at least, a couple of thousand EUR every year.
I can't think of a better system than Wise. It gives you the opportunity to have multiple currency accounts, and lets you receive money as if you were a resident of that country (EU, USA, Australia etc.), no banking fees whatsoever...
I've been looking for a similar system, but unfortunately I haven't found one so far...
I really don't want to use Payooner, they take a cut from every single transaction, won't let you withdraw money under a certain limit, are picky about who can and can't make a transfer, they're slow and have a terrible customer service... but it looks like that's about the only alternative I'm left with.
If only the bastards here hadn't abused Wise's favorable FX rates for currency exchanges, and used it as it was intended (i.e. receiving and sending money). But no, they had to take advantage...

Yasutomo Kanazawa

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Seeking a good, viable alternative to Wise

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »