Localization company refused to pay me...
Thread poster: Si Skool
Si Skool
Si Skool
English to Thai
+ ...
Jul 20, 2022

Hi,

I would like to consult all dear members. I have been working with a localization company based in Cyprus for the last 3 years. I have been quite late with my invoices submission and have just submitted the invoice now, and they have refused to pay ALL of the invoices...their reason is that I have submitted the invoices too late.

Can I consult if legally they are allowed to do this? What can I do to get the payment? ...It is quite a lot of money (around 6000EUR).

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 23:05
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
It depends... Jul 20, 2022

How late is late? One week, one month, one year?

Dalia Nour

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
Any contractual clauses? Jul 20, 2022

Did you sign any agreement that limits how late you can submit invoices and get paid?

If there is no such clause, the general statute of limitation in Cyprus would probably apply. See https://www.hg.org/legal-articles/cyprus-new-limitation-of-actions-law-32675 :

C. Contract
1. Unless otherwise specified in the ... See more
Did you sign any agreement that limits how late you can submit invoices and get paid?

If there is no such clause, the general statute of limitation in Cyprus would probably apply. See https://www.hg.org/legal-articles/cyprus-new-limitation-of-actions-law-32675 :

C. Contract
1. Unless otherwise specified in the Amendments, for contracts the limitation period is six (6) years from the day of completion of the basis of the claim.
2. In relation to any contract or quasi-contract for any remuneration, fee or charge of, amongst others, any advocate, medical practitioner, dentist, architect, civil engineer, the limitation period is three (3) years from the day of completion of the basis of the claim.

If any force majeure such as serious long-term illness explain the late submission of invoices, it would probably overrule the time limit.

It may be worth contacting the lawyers that published this web page.
Collapse

Joel Pina Diaz
Joel Pina Diaz  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 16:05
English to Spanish
+ ...
Name or URL? Jul 20, 2022

Please contact me directly and I give you no charge no questions all details.

https://www.proz.com/translator/1144747

Best Regards

Michael Newton
Michael Newton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:05
Japanese to English
+ ...
localization company Jul 21, 2022

Agencies in Cyprus are dodgy. Personal experience. Companies set up in Cyprus for various reasons. They are outside the purview of some legal entities and it's hard to track them down. This "invoices submitted too late" is a con. Don't be deceived. If they give you trouble, file a complaint with proz.com or give them a "1" on the Blue Board. If they engage in these practices, they should be banned.

Kaspars Melkis
Josephine Cassar

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Contractual clauses Jul 21, 2022

Some of my clients have a clause on their T&Cs establishing that the invoices should be received within 6 months following delivery of the services or they will not be accepted. One other client sends a reminder at the beginning of each year saying that last year invoices should be sent no later than the end of January…

Joakim Braun
Joakim Braun  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 00:05
German to Swedish
+ ...
European payment order Jul 21, 2022

If you're based in the EU: https://e-justice.europa.eu/41/EN/european_payment_order

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Localization company refused to pay me...

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »