Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4] >
An example of the kind of ridiculous job offers I am getting.
Thread poster: Ragnar Egilsson
Michael Newton
Michael Newton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:42
Japanese to English
+ ...
Ridiculous job offers Feb 13, 2022

My comment "I pass on ridiculously small jobs at low rates". For some, "racist", for others, who know the Indian market, an unfortunate statement of an inconvenient fact, as the Indian agencies typically pay $0.01/$0.02 even for Japanese, Russian and Chinese. They might pay even less for Italian. Some people are always eager to be offended.

Baran Keki
philgoddard
Jorge Payan
MollyRose

Mr. Satan (X)
Mr. Satan (X)
English to Indonesian
@Michael Newton Feb 13, 2022

No, I think we all are aware of the market situation. That being said, your previous comment might bite you back when you run for presidency, y'know.

P.L.F. Persio
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Christopher Schröder

P.L.F. Persio
P.L.F. Persio  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 01:42
Member (2010)
English to Italian
+ ...
Look closer to home Feb 13, 2022

Michael Newton wrote:

My comment "I pass on ridiculously small jobs at low rates". For some, "racist", for others, who know the Indian market, an unfortunate statement of an inconvenient fact, as the Indian agencies typically pay $0.01/$0.02 even for Japanese, Russian and Chinese. They might pay even less for Italian. Some people are always eager to be offended.

I often receive ridiculous job offers from Italy, a messy but rich Country nonetheless, and – surprise surprise! – from the almighty US of A, but I don't tell them "I don't take jobs this small but I know someone in Italy/US who might be willing to take the job. I can contact them if you like. I'm sure the job would buy a few pizzas/what-you-think-passes-for-burgers".

Some people are always eager to point out how some other people might be offended.

[Edited at 2022-02-13 08:26 GMT]

Matthias Brombach
Rui Domingues

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Wilsonn Feb 13, 2022

Wilsonn Perez Reyes wrote:
Michael Newton wrote:
I'm sure the job would buy a few chapatis.

Such a racist remark!

I googled "chapatis" and discovered it is some kind of pancake. However, I could not figure out what is racist about it. Can you please explain to us?

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
Easy Feb 13, 2022

Just another coarse ethnic joke about underpaid groups supposedly happy to work for rice, tortillas, cornbread and watermelon, bacon, etc.

Samuel Murray wrote:

Michael Newton wrote:

Such a racist remark!

I googled "chapatis" and discovered it is some kind of pancake. However, I could not figure out what is racist about it. Can you please explain to us?

P.L.F. Persio
Netherlands
Member (2010)
English to Italian
+ ...
Not the delicious chapatis per se ... Feb 13, 2022

Samuel Murray wrote:

Michael Newton wrote:

Such a racist remark!

... but using India as an example of a country producing ridiculous job offers, whereas these come from all over the world, even from rich Western countries where the cost of living is sky-high and, therefore, should know much, much, much better.

Srini Venkataraman

Baran Keki
Baran Keki  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 02:42
English to Turkish
But Feb 13, 2022

P.L.F. Persio wrote:
whereas these come from all over the world, even from rich Western countries where the cost of living is sky-high

It is my experience that such 'ridiculous job offers' coming from 'London' are usually sent by people bearing Eastern European sounding surnames.
The same is the case with the 'US' agencies run by people of Asian and Middle Eastern origin.
I can understand people's desire to stay in touch with their food (chapatis, kebabs etc.) and culture, but imposing their country of origin's living standards on those living in Iceland or elsewhere is something I don't understand.

Barbara Cochran, MFA

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Colourful and promising agency locations like Dubai, Singapore, New York, Lithuania (EU) or ... Feb 13, 2022

... even Hamburg very often can be referred to Cairo, Ceylon, Karachi, Minsk or Spain when you look up the IP of the sender (if it is not coming with a Gmail address). Nothing wrong with it, as long as they accept my price (they mostly don't) and payment upfront (almost never), when not located in the EU.

Baran Keki

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:42
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Mmm Feb 13, 2022

Samuel Murray wrote:

I googled "chapatis" and discovered it is some kind of pancake.

The benefits of former empires: the colonised people come to the mother country and improve the diet of the natives

Chapati-Breads_EXPS_FT20_136906_F_0721_1

[Edited at 2022-02-13 12:34 GMT]

P.L.F. Persio
Jorge Payan
Philippe Etienne
Francesca Grandinetti

Baran Keki
Türkiye
English to Turkish
Empires Feb 13, 2022

Tom in London wrote:
The benefits of former empires: the colonised people come to the mother country and improve the diet of the natives

I thought you were Irish.

writeaway

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:42
Member (2008)
Italian to English
I am Feb 13, 2022

Baran Keki wrote:

Tom in London wrote:

I thought you were Irish.

I am. I haven't said anything that would contradict that fact.

P.L.F. Persio

Baran Keki
Türkiye
English to Turkish
Yes, you're right Feb 13, 2022

Tom in London wrote:
I am. I haven't said anything that would contradict that fact.

I just thought that the Irish wouldn't be too keen about words like "colonialism", "empire" etc.
But nevermind, I'm not an expert on the subject, and I know what you meant.

P.L.F. Persio
Netherlands
Member (2010)
English to Italian
+ ...
I hear you, Baran Feb 13, 2022

Baran Keki wrote:

It is my experience that such 'ridiculous job offers' coming from 'London' are usually sent by people bearing Eastern European sounding surnames.
The same is the case with the 'US' agencies run by people of Asian and Middle Eastern origin.
I can understand people's desire to stay in touch with their food (chapatis, kebabs etc.) and culture, but imposing their country of origin's living standards on those living in Iceland or elsewhere is something I don't understand.

But I can assure you that the ridiculous offers from Italy are from all-Italian people. Admittedly very seldom, I even receive preposterous offers from the Netherlands, by people with oer-Hollandse names.

Baran Keki
writeaway

writeaway
writeaway  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Very high quality is required! Rate is 0.036-0.037 USD per word. Feb 13, 2022

Job offer recently posted on Proz for a De-En job in the legal field. With the stipulation you'll only get paid once the client 'accepts' the translation. So that leaves the door wide open....
Today's translation world. Just keeps getting better.

philgoddard
Kevin Fulton
Adieu
Jorge Payan
Mr. Satan (X)
P.L.F. Persio

Ragnar Egilsson
Ragnar Egilsson  Identity Verified
Iceland
Local time: 23:42
Member (2008)
English to Icelandic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
this is not a race thing. Feb 13, 2022

I have no idea how this collapsed into a thread about racism. This was an Austrian University, which is about as white and privileged as it gets. Everyone there could afford my services, they just chose not to pay a fair wage because they don't respect translators.

philgoddard
Christel Zipfel
Mr. Satan (X)
P.L.F. Persio
Francesca Grandinetti

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

An example of the kind of ridiculous job offers I am getting.

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »