Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Dec 12, 2022

I was enjoying this column:

Then I read these questions:

... See more
I was enjoying this column:

Then I read these questions:

What is it about us that makes us want others to use the same phones we do? Other than, of course, the need to see their texts in blue, rather than green.

How would DeepL translate this?

Dutch translation:

Waarom willen we dat anderen dezelfde telefoons gebruiken als wij? Behalve, natuurlijk, de behoefte om hun teksten in het blauw te zien, in plaats van groen.

German translation:

Was bringt uns dazu, dass wir wollen, dass andere die gleichen Handys benutzen wie wir? Abgesehen von dem Bedürfnis, ihre Texte in blauer und nicht in grüner Schrift zu sehen.

Neither one offers the correct translation for “texts”, while a clue (the context) is right there in the previous paragraph.

Then I asked DeepL for the Spanish translation:

¿Qué hay en nosotros que nos hace querer que los demás usen los mismos teléfonos que nosotros? Aparte, por supuesto, de la necesidad de ver sus mensajes de texto en azul, en lugar de verde.

¡Amazing!

And what does ChatGPT answer?

There are a few reasons why people might want others to use the same phone as them. One reason is that it can make it easier to communicate and share content with each other if everyone is using the same device. For example, if you and your friends all use the same phone, you can more easily send messages and share photos with each other. Additionally, some people might prefer a particular brand or model of phone because they are familiar with it and know how to use it well. In these cases, they might want others to use the same phone so they can help them if they have any questions or problems. Additionally, using the same phone as others can also be a way for people to feel like they are part of a group or community, and can make them feel more connected to the people around them.
Collapse

Philip Lees
Philip Lees  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 01:05
Greek to English
In addition Dec 12, 2022

Hans Lenting wrote:

And what does ChatGPT answer?

There are a few reasons why people might want others to use the same phone as them. One reason is that it can make it easier to communicate and share content with each other if everyone is using the same device. For example, if you and your friends all use the same phone, you can more easily send messages and share photos with each other. Additionally, some people might prefer a particular brand or model of phone because they are familiar with it and know how to use it well. In these cases, they might want others to use the same phone so they can help them if they have any questions or problems. Additionally, using the same phone as others can also be a way for people to feel like they are part of a group or community, and can make them feel more connected to the people around them.

ChatGPT is quite impressive, but after you've seen a few examples of its output you notice certain tell-tale details, like the repetition of "Additionally" in the above answer - something a good human editor would have changed.

ChatGPT has also clearly been equipped with strong protection against corruption, presumably to avoid it turning into a potty-mouthed misogynist right-wing extremist, as happened to the ill-fated Microsoft Twitter bot a few years ago.

When I asked it, as a joke, "Do gentlemen prefer blondes?", I received a stern lecture on why it was bad to make sweeping generalisations about people (i.e. gentlemen) and even worse to use gender stereotypes.

So it may be good at chat, but I bet it's not much fun at parties.

Jorge Payan
neilmac

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 00:05
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Hans Dec 12, 2022

Hans Lenting wrote:
What is it about us that makes us want others to use the same phones we do? Other than, of course, the need to see their texts in blue, rather than green.

Which means, of course that the author of this column is both an iPhone user and a person with egg on his face (for his assumption that the blue vs green feature of iPhones is also a thing for Android users).

[Edited at 2022-12-12 07:38 GMT]

neilmac

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:05
Member (2008)
Italian to English
It would help if the English were correct in the first place. Dec 12, 2022

: the same phones we do?

I don't "do" phones and I don't know anyone who does. I've never met anyone who "does phones".

I heard an introduction on the radio (BBC World Service) last night about artificial intelligence. They went on and on and on about it as though it was something fantastic. But at the end of a long discussion, they had to agree: it all depends on what you put into it. So it's the same story: garbage in, garbage out.

Artificial intelligence is unable to do what we do: using our imagination, create something that has never existed before and for which there are no precedents.

[Edited at 2022-12-12 08:51 GMT]

John Fossey
neilmac

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

As long as NMT/AI cannot translate/answer this simple question

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »