Boris Rogowski  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 18:15
Member (2008)
English to German
May 9, 2023

Hi xxx,

thanks for your mail!

I have forwarded the project info (huge project, 0.0165 EUR per word, non-negotiable) to my machine translation model (Mezzopiano) who does 1000w in approx. 21.3 sec. As it is currently saving to get a full body by Boston Dynamics it would like to know how huge the ongoing project is – as the BD thing will set it back around half a mil it would need you to provide it with approx. 30 million words. As Mezzopiano does not do holidays (yet)
... See more
Hi xxx,

thanks for your mail!

I have forwarded the project info (huge project, 0.0165 EUR per word, non-negotiable) to my machine translation model (Mezzopiano) who does 1000w in approx. 21.3 sec. As it is currently saving to get a full body by Boston Dynamics it would like to know how huge the ongoing project is – as the BD thing will set it back around half a mil it would need you to provide it with approx. 30 million words. As Mezzopiano does not do holidays (yet) it could deliver the translations within 177.5 hrs. Is that something you might be interested in?

Also, Mezzopiano would like to know if you require translations in different language pairs (because one body is fine, but in the long run it would like to switch physical forms on a weekly basis). As an MMT it is perfectly equipped to create natural sounding translations in over 100 languages, and it just told me that it would be willing to get the job done for .01 EUR if you were to get him an input of 100M+ words. It says it knows that the rate is non-negotiable, but it wonders if that applies to lower rates as well. After all, less can be more, can't it? (Take that, Yngwie!)

Mezzopiano and I are looking forward to hearing from you!

Kind regards,
Boris
Collapse

Tom in London
Christopher Schröder
Jan Truper
Zea_Mays
Matthias Brombach

Baran Keki
Baran Keki  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 19:15
English to Turkish
What's your game? May 9, 2023

Is this meant to be a joke or are you trying to goad the 'translation is dead as a dodo brigade' into action?
Whatever it is, I've seen enough posts here lately about ChatGPT, AI, MT etc., how the translation will be dead and buried in 5 years' time... but then I see people giving 'Mastermind Classes', 'Summer Courses' on localization for 775 EUR! It may sound like BS at first, but having checked out the guy, I saw that he (acc. to him anyway) actually delivered that course to people from
... See more
Is this meant to be a joke or are you trying to goad the 'translation is dead as a dodo brigade' into action?
Whatever it is, I've seen enough posts here lately about ChatGPT, AI, MT etc., how the translation will be dead and buried in 5 years' time... but then I see people giving 'Mastermind Classes', 'Summer Courses' on localization for 775 EUR! It may sound like BS at first, but having checked out the guy, I saw that he (acc. to him anyway) actually delivered that course to people from over 40 countries last year! Do the effing math! Upwards of 30k for 'teaching how to translate'! So are these people forking out all that cash to work for less than 1 cent per word in the end? Mind effing boggles! I can't think anymore... seriously.
I don't know whether to take hope from this or not...
Collapse

Dalia Nour

Boris Rogowski
Germany
Member (2008)
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
There is an ambivalent aspect May 9, 2023

Baran Keki wrote:

Is this meant to be a joke

Well, the post is my actual reply to an actual job offer, so whether or not it is a joke remains to be seen (as it really depends on the potential client's reply). A big part of me believes it is unlikely that they will send me 30M+ words for delivery next week, but who knows

What seems to me a real joke is the non-negotiable rate for the work. Alas, I'm afraid they are not joking at all.

[Edited at 2023-05-09 09:08 GMT]

Baran Keki
Dalia Nour

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
And I believe... May 9, 2023

Boris Rogowski wrote:A big part of me believes it is unlikely that they will send me 30M+ words for delivery next week, but who knows

...that your email postbox soon will be flooded by colleagues eager to participate in that project, right? Your chance now to keep another 25% of the deal and let others do all the work for you. Unfortunately, I have no time in the next days...

Baran Keki
Schtroumpf

Lieven Malaise
Lieven Malaise
Belgium
Member (2020)
French to Dutch
+ ...
I smell... May 9, 2023

Baran Keki wrote:
but then I see people giving 'Mastermind Classes', 'Summer Courses' on localization for 775 EUR! It may sound like BS at first, but having checked out the guy, I saw that he (acc. to him anyway) actually delivered that course to people from over 40 countries last year! Do the effing math! Upwards of 30k for 'teaching how to translate'! So are these people forking out all that cash to work for less than 1 cent per word in the end?

... 'business coach' vibes. I consider those people parasites. In their defense : an awful lot of people love to be the victim of parasites.

"Triple your turnover by following my 10 simple tips that will lead you to success and wealth! Donwload the free starters' kit now and pay 300 euros per hour later !"

Boris Rogowski
Baran Keki
Christopher Schröder
Dalia Nour

Baran Keki
Türkiye
English to Turkish
A glimmer of hope! May 9, 2023

Lieven Malaise wrote:
... 'business coach' vibes. I consider those people parasites. In their defense : an awful lot of people love to be the victim of parasites.

Don't be so harsh on them! In an era where "translators are considered to be endangered species", "translation is dead as a profession", "human translators are expected to be replaced by ChatGPT", availability of those idio... er 'victims', as you put it, who are willing to pay 775 EUR for an online translation course gives you hope going forward! It means that people will still translate, after having learned how to press ctrl and enter keys on their keyboards, use online dictionaries and Google Translate thanks to those invaluable online sessions, which will be worth every bleeding penny! So it's not all doom and gloom after all! People will not be replaced by machines! Take that croakers!

Christopher Schröder
Matthias Brombach
Lieven Malaise

Jan Truper
Jan Truper  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2016)
English to German
... May 9, 2023

Boris Rogowski wrote:
(Take that, Yngwie!)

In 1994, fresh after getting my diploma in Electric Guitar from Guitar Institute of Technology, I was working as a cab driver in Los Angeles. Yngwie got into my cab at the Rainbow Bar&Grill, and I drove him to his hotel.
When I dropped him off, I told him that he had had a profound influence on my life (he was one of the main reasons I spent practicing guitar for 10 hours a day in my late teens), and that the ride was on me. He offered me a signed pick, which I politely refused.

[Edited at 2023-05-09 10:19 GMT]

Christopher Schröder

Baran Keki
Türkiye
English to Turkish
10 hours of practicing May 9, 2023

Jan Truper wrote:
he was one of the main reasons I spent practicing guitar for 10 hours a day in my late teens

Fascinating story. I wish I'd followed such a strict regimen in my teens, I'd certainly have had less acne on my face as a result of the certain activities that teenagers are ordinarily given to pursue...
Sadly I had no good influence like Yngwie... I used to listen to bands like Deicide back then. Glen Benton couldn't play the bass to save his life (though the c*nt later did save his life by reneging on the 'suicide pact' he made with his band mates... effing hypocrite!), so it was the other activity involving right hand... ah the misspent youth...

Christopher Schröder
Jan Truper

Boris Rogowski
Germany
Member (2008)
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Why not? May 9, 2023

Jan Truper wrote:

Boris Rogowski wrote:
(Take that, Yngwie!)

In 1994, fresh after getting my diploma in Electric Guitar from Guitar Institute of Technology, I was working as a cab driver in Los Angeles. Yngwie got into my cab at the Rainbow Bar&Grill, and I drove him to his hotel.
When I dropped him off, I told him that he had had a profound influence on my life (he was one of the main reasons I spent practicing guitar for 10 hours a day in my late teens), and that the ride was on me. He offered me a signed pick, which I politely refused.

[Edited at 2023-05-09 10:19 GMT]

This makes me jealous in more than one way. I have never made it to Los Angeles (Julia Pfeiffer Burns is as far south as I got), but I still miss it all the time. You should have taken the pick, though!

[Edited at 2023-05-09 11:10 GMT]

Baran Keki
Christopher Schröder
Kay Denney

Jan Truper
Germany
Member (2016)
English to German
... May 9, 2023

Boris Rogowski wrote:
You should have taken the pick, though!

A somewhat-of-an-idol's pick is one of those items that I would have zero use for (I play a different brand), but could have never thrown away for the rest of my life. I am glad I had the wisdom to refuse it back then

Edit:
Further reflecting on this, I think the refusal was also meant as a sort of power-move by me, showing that I wasn't some stupid fanboy, but a Rising Force to be reckoned with.

[Edited at 2023-05-09 16:53 GMT]

Baran Keki
Türkiye
English to Turkish
If only... May 9, 2023

Jan Truper wrote:
...but a Rising Force to be reckoned with.

If only Malmsteen had known that... Either way, it seems to be a lack of foresight on your part.. that pick could've fetched a tidy sum on eBay. Looks like Malmsteen got the better deal by getting to keep the cab fare and his pick, to say nothing of having to go through the trouble of signing it...
Good thing he didn't take umbrage when you refused him, or maybe he did...

Jan Truper
Germany
Member (2016)
English to German
... May 9, 2023

Baran Keki wrote:
Good thing he didn't take umbrage when you refused him, or maybe he did...

He was probably too sh**faced to notice any such subtleties

Baran Keki

Jan Truper
Germany
Member (2016)
English to German
... May 9, 2023

Boris Rogowski wrote:

I have never made it to Los Angeles (Julia Pfeiffer Burns is as far south as I got), but I still miss it all the time.

I miss the old L.A. -- I moved to Berlin in 2004 and haven't been back since, but I hear it lost its vibe due to gentrification. (I fear the same for Berlin if the current housing misery continues and "cool" people can't afford to live in the city anymore.)

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Future business

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »