Off topic: When you see the final result
Auteur du fil: Orla Ryan
Orla Ryan
Orla Ryan  Identity Verified
Irlande
Local time: 00:54
Aug 24, 2005

A couple of months ago, I edited the ENG - GAE street signs for a particular Dublin district authority.
It was an enjoyable and easy job, and once I delivered it, I forgot all about it until now.

Last weekend, when I was driving down by that particular district, I saw they had new street signs up and I was like "Hey, I did that one!" It was a pretty cool moment.

It is not often it happens, but do y
... See more
A couple of months ago, I edited the ENG - GAE street signs for a particular Dublin district authority.
It was an enjoyable and easy job, and once I delivered it, I forgot all about it until now.

Last weekend, when I was driving down by that particular district, I saw they had new street signs up and I was like "Hey, I did that one!" It was a pretty cool moment.

It is not often it happens, but do you ever get to see the fruits of your labours after the translation/editing process is over?

Orla

PS - Don't blame me if you get lost in Dublin now! ;-p

[Edited at 2005-08-24 17:37]
Collapse

Orestes Robledo
Orestes Robledo  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:54
anglais vers espagnol
+ ...
It is so cool! Aug 24, 2005

It is very cool to go to a certain website and read "This website has been translated into Spanish by..."
I have also translated books that have been published with a note on the first page, "Translated by..." It makes you feel great!

nruddy
nruddy  Identity Verified
Mexique
Local time: 17:54
allemand vers anglais
edit the existing ones! Aug 24, 2005

The Corpo should contract you to edit the existing ones in English, too. Any time I go back, the missing and misplaced apostrophes on signs drive me mad!

Andy Watkinson
Andy Watkinson  Identity Verified
Espagne
Local time: 01:54
Membre
catalan vers anglais
+ ...
After several years.... Aug 24, 2005

Hi Orla,

At least you were expecting it, which doesn't always happen.

Many years ago I used to work for the publishing house of several Spanish magazines (Hola was one), translating odd pieces for them into Spanish on many different subjects (knitting patterns et al., anyone?).

One which I was particularly proud of, bearing in mind I'm not a "native" Spanish speaker, was on back problems: causes, prevention, different treatments, remedies and so on.
<
... See more
Hi Orla,

At least you were expecting it, which doesn't always happen.

Many years ago I used to work for the publishing house of several Spanish magazines (Hola was one), translating odd pieces for them into Spanish on many different subjects (knitting patterns et al., anyone?).

One which I was particularly proud of, bearing in mind I'm not a "native" Spanish speaker, was on back problems: causes, prevention, different treatments, remedies and so on.

They never published it.
But several years later it appeared in the Sunday supplement of "El País", word for word.
Still got the article and the 5 1/4" diskette, just in case.

Didn't know whether to sue or just feel chuffed)

Andy
Collapse

Uldis Liepkalns
Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Lettonie
Local time: 02:54
Membre (2003)
anglais vers letton/lette
+ ...
Oh, but Aug 24, 2005

you have to keep also 5 1/4" disk drive (the bus of witch is not compatible with today's computers' busses, AFAIK), so you have to keep also the computer. I fondly remember my last computer having 5 1/4" drive, it run Win 3.10 and had HHD of a size of a brick and weighted as much. And it had a capacity even of several Mb. How I regret I didn't keep it, it would have been archaeological issue today

Reminds me not so ol
... See more
you have to keep also 5 1/4" disk drive (the bus of witch is not compatible with today's computers' busses, AFAIK), so you have to keep also the computer. I fondly remember my last computer having 5 1/4" drive, it run Win 3.10 and had HHD of a size of a brick and weighted as much. And it had a capacity even of several Mb. How I regret I didn't keep it, it would have been archaeological issue today

Reminds me not so old joke about rich people children, they sit in a sandbox and dig sandcastles with their mobiles (cellular) phones. One breaks his in a process, others ask him: what you will do now? He replies, oh, my daddy will buy me a new one. Others: and if not- will you dig with a pager like a fool?

And our children today doesn’t remember what pager was, not to speak about floppies

Uldis

andycw wrote:
Still got the article and the 5 1/4" diskette, just in case.

Didn't know whether to sue or just feel chuffed)

Andy

[Edited at 2005-08-24 21:02]
Collapse

Orla Ryan
Orla Ryan  Identity Verified
Irlande
Local time: 00:54
AUTEUR DU FIL
The aul Corpo' Aug 25, 2005

Niamh - the new signs are down by the IFSC.
I don't think the Corpo could be bothered to change the street signs now after the debacle last year with the new signs that had to be taken down a day after they were put up all over the city... of course this would never have happened if _I_ was in charge!

... See more
Niamh - the new signs are down by the IFSC.
I don't think the Corpo could be bothered to change the street signs now after the debacle last year with the new signs that had to be taken down a day after they were put up all over the city... of course this would never have happened if _I_ was in charge!

for our non-Irish friends: http://tc.eserver.org/19045.html

Orla
Collapse

cello
cello  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:54
espagnol vers anglais
+ ...
Feelgood factor Aug 27, 2005

[quote]Orla Ryan wrote:

It is not often it happens, but do you ever get to see the fruits of your labours after the translation/editing process is over?

Orla

quote]

Yes, I know what you mean.

I do quite a lot of work for advertising agencies here on the Costa del Sol and every so often I´ll be driving through Marbella/Estepona and I'll see a HUGE billboard with a slogan, or a bus with an advert covering the whole of one side, or a glossy magazine with an advertising feature/advert that I've translated...

That makes me feel good - as long as the person at the agency actually managed to not 'modify' what I had originally written. This sometimes happens, and when it does, I absolutely cringe and deny all knowledge!

Linda

diana bb
diana bb  Identity Verified
Lituanie
Local time: 02:54
anglais vers lituanien
+ ...
When I saw the final result... Sep 1, 2005

Hello all!

Yes, I agree, it's great to see your name in a published book, logos, street names, your translations in largest papers etc. As long as all is OK.

But not all ends well, you know... I have a story about one of my final results.

For some eight years I have been translating for a cultural-literary magazine. Some six years ago, for one of the issues I had to do an article about one of the largest publishing houses here in Lithuania. I did the trans
... See more
Hello all!

Yes, I agree, it's great to see your name in a published book, logos, street names, your translations in largest papers etc. As long as all is OK.

But not all ends well, you know... I have a story about one of my final results.

For some eight years I have been translating for a cultural-literary magazine. Some six years ago, for one of the issues I had to do an article about one of the largest publishing houses here in Lithuania. I did the translation, saved it on a floppy disc and took it to the editor of the magazine, who was quite a bohemian type of man. You would expect it, wouldn't you? The thing is, he somehow managed to lose this floppy disc and a couple of days later asked me to bring another copy.

Now, at the time I had some open issues with the publishers in question - payment issues. My husband, who occasionally used to proofread for them, had the same problem. We did a large book, over 500 pages, and it took them loooong loooong time to pay us.

Well, after I took the floppy to the editor, hubby and me sat down at the computer and inserted some biting remarks in a couple of places in the text of that translation. Inserted them - in bold type, too - as a joke, and forgot about it. And when the editor asked for another floppy disc, I just saved the translation again and took it to him.

Some two weeks later I was looking through the latest issue of that magazine. Can you guess the rest? Yes! The article about the publishing house had our opinion about it as well! And in bold type, too.

Occasionally, I take that issue off the shelf and have a look at that particular article. NOW it's funny, of course, but THEN...

Diana

[Edited at 2005-09-01 22:55]

[Edited at 2005-09-01 22:57]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

When you see the final result

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »