Software for input Chinese in Unicode ?
Thread poster: chance (X)
chance (X)
chance (X)
French to Chinese
+ ...
Jun 27, 2003

Dear Colleagues,

Does anyone know a software with which you can input Chinese in Unicode (not utf-8) directly in HTML file ?

Thank you for your help.

Yongmei Liu
Yongmei Liu  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:14
English to Chinese
+ ...
Possible a Java function Jun 27, 2003

Plain GB or Big5 to Unicode is probably a function of the Java SDK. You type up a .txt file and run it through this function.

Alternatively,
Search for gb2unicode.zip in Google Web and Google Groups;
See if there is anything here:
http://www.unicode.org/onlinedat/resources.html

Good luck!

Libin PhD
Libin PhD  Identity Verified
Chinese to English
+ ...
There is not an efficient Unicode input method for Chinese but you can always convert. Jun 27, 2003

chance wrote:

Dear Colleagues,

Does anyone know a software with which you can input Chinese in Unicode (not utf-8) directly in HTML file ?

Thank you for your help.

There are several ways you can convert among and between GB, Big 5, Shift JIS and other Japanese and Koeran encodings.

For Doc. or .txt, html files, you can use NJStar Communicator:
http://www.njstar.com/communicator/ucc.htm

Used it long time ago. Doc. may not work but I am sure rtf will. You can always save your .doc files as .rtf.

If you have just html files, you can use notepad or Wordpad that come with Windows to do the trick.

To save the file as unicode encoding in Windows 2000 or Windows XP pro, follow these simple steps;

1. Open the html file that you want to save in Unicode format in notepad or Wordpad.
2. save as...and give it a name with .html extension.
3. Encoding: default is ANSI (American Natinoal Standard Institute). You can change it to Unicode, Unicode Big endian or UTF-8.

Note: Here Unicode Big endian is the Unicode format for Macintosh, that is, if you want your file to be readable from a Mac, you should choose Unicode big endian as the encoding type.

4. Select Unicode and click Save.

Now your file should be in Unicode encoding.

I personally translated web sites for clients and they specifically asked me to re-save all html files (a few dozen each time) this way so that they can process them on a Unicode machine.

Li Bin

[Edited at 2003-06-27 23:14]

chance (X)
chance (X)
French to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
NJStar Communicator is exactly what I need ! Jun 28, 2003

Hi Libin,

Thanks to your information, finally I got what I had been desperately looking for. NJStar Communicator is exactly what I need. It has many functions and very easy to use. Now, I can input in GB or Big with output converted easily into Unicode HTML. Even with my French keyboard I can type easily, while other software force to change the keyboard positioning.

It is really great, thank you so much!!!

Libin PhD
Libin PhD  Identity Verified
Chinese to English
+ ...
Glad it worked for you. Jun 30, 2003

chance wrote:

Hi Libin,

Thanks to your information, finally I got what I had been desperately looking for. NJStar Communicator is exactly what I need. It has many functions and very easy to use. Now, I can input in GB or Big with output converted easily into Unicode HTML. Even with my French keyboard I can type easily, while other software force to change the keyboard positioning.

It is really great, thank you so much!!!

You are most welcome. I am gald that NjStar communicator worked out for you.

Libin

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Software for input Chinese in Unicode ?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »