All these fonts are either freeware or shareware!
Thread poster: Kevin Yang
Kevin Yang
Kevin Yang  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:47
Member (2003)
English to Chinese
+ ...
May 31, 2003

Hello, Translators/Graphic Designers

I found a website that offers a great collection of free fonts in many foreign languages. I tested the Mongolian, Thai and Lao, they all work well. Please bookmark this website:

http://www.freelang.net/fonts/

Disclaimer from the website:

"All the fonts we provide are either freeware or shareware, so they can be
... See more
Hello, Translators/Graphic Designers

I found a website that offers a great collection of free fonts in many foreign languages. I tested the Mongolian, Thai and Lao, they all work well. Please bookmark this website:

http://www.freelang.net/fonts/

Disclaimer from the website:

"All the fonts we provide are either freeware or shareware, so they can be distributed freely. If it were not the case, please notice us (we will check immediately and delete the font if necessary). The fonts are provided "as-is", without warranty of any kind. I.e. no support or maintenance is guaranteed and Freelang will not accepted liabilaty for damage to your system or data."
Collapse

Kvasir
Kvasir
Canada
Local time: 17:47
English to Chinese
+ ...
any more!? Jun 1, 2003

thankx for the site! but there are only 4 fonts in the chinese section.

MingliU and MsSong are pretty standard fonts most people would have them already... From the size of the other 2 fonts, they seem to contain even less characters than MingliU. Too bad they don't have a sample page to show us what they look like.

I've been looking for something other than MingLiU, something more calligraphic and arti
... See more
thankx for the site! but there are only 4 fonts in the chinese section.

MingliU and MsSong are pretty standard fonts most people would have them already... From the size of the other 2 fonts, they seem to contain even less characters than MingliU. Too bad they don't have a sample page to show us what they look like.

I've been looking for something other than MingLiU, something more calligraphic and artistic for traditional Chinese. Anyone know where else we can download fonts like those? (for free preferably of course )

-kvasir

[Edited at 2003-06-02 02:45]
Collapse

Zhoudan
Zhoudan  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:47
English to Chinese
+ ...
hope you like this link Jun 2, 2003

[quote]Kvasir wrote:

I've been looking for something other than MingLiU, something more calligraphic and artistic for traditional Chinese. Anyone know where else we can download fonts like those? (for free preferably of course )

-kvasir

Hi, Kvasir,
You may find some more artistic fonts here:
http://jys.js.cn/grkj/fonts/wending/wending.htm

Kevin Yang
Member (2003)
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Holy cow! How can this company make any profit? Jun 2, 2003

Zhoudan wrote:

Hi, Kvasir,
You may find some more artistic fonts here:
http://jys.js.cn/grkj/fonts/wending/wending.htm

Zhoudan,

That is a great finding! I wonder how this company can make any profit by giving out all these beautiful fonts free. Well, I can抰 help but test a few of them right now.

Thanks!

Kevin

Kvasir
Kvasir
Canada
English to Chinese
+ ...
WOW thankx! Jun 2, 2003

Great finds Zhoudan! Great looking fonts there! Exactly what i've been looking for!

Thankx!!!

-Kvasir

Kvasir
Kvasir
Canada
English to Chinese
+ ...
uh oh.... Jun 3, 2003

just downloaded a bunch of those for traditional chinese from the site... but when i tried to install them, it said they are invalid font files?? When i used control panel to "install font", the .ttf files were not detected.

what's going on? do i need to have Chinese Window to install them? I have Win98 (english) now.

what could be the problem?

thankx,

-kvasir

chance (X)
chance (X)
French to Chinese
+ ...
Try this one Jun 3, 2003

Kvasir wrote:

just downloaded a bunch of those for traditional chinese from the site... but when i tried to install them, it said they are invalid font files?? When i used control panel to "install font", the .ttf files were not detected.

what's going on? do i need to have Chinese Window to install them? I have Win98 (english) now.

thankx,

-kvasir

Hi Kvasir,

Try this one : http://www.eduing.org/fonts/index.asp

If it does not work well, you can ask your question at the site.

Bonne chance !

Kevin Yang
Member (2003)
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, Chance! Jun 3, 2003

chance wrote:

Hi Kvasir,

Try this one : http://www.eduing.org/fonts/index.asp

If it does not work well, you can ask your question at the site.

Bonne chance !

Chance,

Thank you for referring the URL! The website looks great. I will test the fonts when I have a chance. (No pun here.) I wonder why all these businesses decided to give away the fonts for free.

Kevin

Kevin Yang
Member (2003)
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
They work fine with my system. Jun 3, 2003

Kvasir wrote:

thankx,

-kvasir

kvasir,

I tested six fonts from the website Zhoudan mentioned. They all work fine. I loaded them through Control Penal--Font--Install New Font. My PC is using Windows XP. I do not think this is a reason for what you experienced.

I did notice that all the fonts I tried are not compressed when downloading them, so it took longer time to complete the downloading. When the file is large and takes longer time to download, it might cause problems.

I also noticed that the Traditionl character versions of the fonts I tested from this site were displayed in the font menu in both Korean characters and phonetic letters. This is a bit odd.

But, they all work fine in my MS Word.

Kevin

Kvasir
Kvasir
Canada
English to Chinese
+ ...
something's weird... Jun 4, 2003

Merci Chance!

tried one from the site Chance provided and worked. However found out the particular font that i downloaded was in fact a simplified font even though the name suggested "traditional". looks like it'd take a while for me to sieve through the fonts from the site\ doesn't help when most sample .gif's on that site are not working.

I'm guessing the ones from Zhoudan's site are indeed pre-decompress
... See more
Merci Chance!

tried one from the site Chance provided and worked. However found out the particular font that i downloaded was in fact a simplified font even though the name suggested "traditional". looks like it'd take a while for me to sieve through the fonts from the site\ doesn't help when most sample .gif's on that site are not working.

I'm guessing the ones from Zhoudan's site are indeed pre-decompressed or something. The font installation from control panel somehow "detected" the presense of .ttf files in my download directory, but couldn't find the font names. so it ended up not finding anything.

weird.

but these links will give me an idea on where to look for more font links. Thankx all!

-kvasir
Collapse

Kvasir
Kvasir
Canada
English to Chinese
+ ...
just tried it on winXP Aug 5, 2003

I'm guessing the ones from Zhoudan's site are indeed pre-decompressed or something. The font installation from control panel somehow "detected" the presense of .ttf files in my download directory, but couldn't find the font names. so it ended up not finding anything.

OK, i've recently got a new computer with XP, and the fonts now installed fine. But when i go into Word to try them out i don't see any appreciable differences among them.

i noticed some of them say: "The font is imitated for display. The closest matching style will be printed."

How do I fix this if it is not a true type font? What do i have to do to make it at least display properly on screen?

-Kvasir

Golden View
Golden View  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 07:47
English to Chinese
+ ...
Any Macintosh fonts? Aug 5, 2003

Having noticed those freebie are all Windows fonts, guess it's hard to find Macintosh Chinese fonts. If anybody has a suggested URL, please post here!

Kvasir
Kvasir
Canada
English to Chinese
+ ...
ok i got it! finally... Aug 21, 2003

Kvasir wrote:
OK, i've recently got a new computer with XP, and the fonts now installed fine. But when i go into Word to try them out i don't see any appreciable differences among them.

i noticed some of them say: "The font is imitated for display. The closest matching style will be printed."

How do I fix this if it is not a true type font? What do i have to do to make it at least display properly on screen?

-Kvasir

Well well, i've actually got this fixed couple weeks ago, but i just remember to put my findings here.

- Update MS Word to the latest version!
(I've found that out since Wordpad (came with XP) works with the font but not my antiquated MS Word 97.) I now have MS Word 2002 on my system.

- For those of us who usually use traditional characters, convert your text back to simplified first before applying the custom font in word. Since these fonts (from above links) originates from the mainland, they have the simplified character sets.
Don't worry, the simplified text will convert back to traditional form once you apply the "Traditional" calligraphy font. Unfortunately, some characters do not convert back because they are missing in the simplified character set.

- I'll post my findings once i've figure out how to print to PDF.
or please post if you have tips!

-kvasir

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

All these fonts are either freeware or shareware!

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »