Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Which server based CAT Tool(s) do you use (and prefer)?
Thread poster: jokerman
jokerman
jokerman
Germany
Local time: 23:36
Member (2008)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
.... May 23, 2023

Anton Konashenok wrote:

By the way, do you need translators to update your server-based TM as they translate, or just use it as a reference but send their own translated segments to their local TM (possibly to be checked by the senior editor/terminologist at a later time)? In the latter case, you can set up the server TM as a secondary (read-only) one, and you will have no problems with TMX performance I was talking about.

That sounds like a very nice idea as well, thank you!

No, it's not really necessary that the server TM is updated in real time as the translators translate the texts. If that was possible, it would be absolutely perfect, of course, but I understand that it might cause significant traffic after each segment and thus slow down the translation, perhaps significantly (which is what I would absolutely like to avoid, since a slow workflow on a server based plattform is among the most annoying things with that approach). So having the TMs not updated in real time would be an acceptable trade-off, if it sllowed for a seamless overall performance. The main server TM (it even doesn't need to be a tmx-file - I just assumed that a tmx would be the most convenient format because all different CAT tools could use it) could then be updated manually after the project is finished, I think.

jokerman
jokerman
Germany
Member (2008)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
... May 23, 2023

Stepan Konev wrote:

You can try this article: https://multifarious.filkin.com/2014/12/08/with-a-little-help/
However, it is rather a toy horse. If you need a serious solution, I would go with Memsource too. It has more functions than Smartcat but still remains much more simple than Trados, memoQ or other bulky programs.

Thank you very much for this link, Stepan! I've just read it and it seems to offer some very good (and simple actually) ideas as well. And it contains links to other articles that might prove very useful too.

Charlie Bavington
Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:36
French to English
Do you really need an online server solution at all? May 23, 2023

jokerman wrote:

The main server TM ...could then be updated manually after the project is finished, I think.

If real-time updating of a central and shared TM is not necessary, and in fact you merely have a central TM that is updated in one hit at the end of individual projects, does the client really need the more complicated solution that they seem to think they do?

Seems to me a simpler, more conventional approach could work equally well. And widen the pool of potential translators.

jokerman
jokerman
Germany
Member (2008)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
... May 23, 2023

Charlie Bavington wrote:

jokerman wrote:

The main server TM ...could then be updated manually after the project is finished, I think.

If real-time updating of a central and shared TM is not necessary, and in fact you merely have a central TM that is updated in one hit at the end of individual projects, does the client really need the more complicated solution that they seem to think they do?

Seems to me a simpler, more conventional approach could work equally well. And widen the pool of potential translators.

Yes, that is a plausible question, Charlie. At the end of the day, a rather simple solution might be fully sufficient indeed, as this client's 'general needs' are only 3 really:

1. Standardized/uniform translations of identical (or very similar) segments.

As most of our clients, this one works in the market and social research industry, which means that we translate for them many survey questionnaires that often include very similar (or identical) wordings (just as a simple example: last year the survey perhaps asked "What brands of hair shampoo do you use?", while this year it would ask "What brands of tooth paste do you use?"). So basically, he would like to have standardised/uniform wordings in all languages that will always be used. Granted, that's one of the main features/benefits of a TM in general, and it makes a lot sense to use it for this client, I think. However, we can not always provide the very same translator (for different reasons: sometimes one of them is on holiday, other time he is just too busy with other projects at that moment, etc...), therefore we would like to have a central TM which different translators could access as needed. And preferably it should be a TM file that can be used by different CAT tools (at least the most popular ones), as I would like out translators to be able to use their personally preferred CAt tool rather than having to change to any alternative or to a completely new/additional one.

2. Standardized/uniform translations of single terms.

Just as the above, identical terms should be standardised/uniform in all target languages. This is basically what a Term Base is for, and the principle is same as for the above point1: a central TB that all translators can access and use while they are translating.

3. Updating the central TM (preferably in real time, of course - but an update at the end of the translation process would be an acceptable trade-off), so that it is complete and up-to-date for the next translation.

(and, as an additional note: of course we could work with tmx-files and just send them to the relevant translator every time - but these files might become rather large in the course of time, and also we would not like to have the entire TM forwarded to third parties, no matter how trusted they are (particularly for privacy reasons, as that is something the client pays quite a lot attention to)).

So yes, considering these rather 'basic' needs and requirements, a rather plain and simple solution would probably be sufficient in this case - it's just that I am not tech savvy enough to design or provide it. So I thought of suggesting an already existing solution such as MemoQ Server or memsource/Phrase (or alike). But this thread gave me some additional information and ideas of how it could be done in a simpler yet sufficiently efficient way, thankfully (especially Anton's suggestions, and/or Stepan's link that also might offer a rather simple yet efficient solution)

Charlie Bavington

John Di Rico
John Di Rico  Identity Verified
France
Member (2006)
French to English
Wordfast Server Jun 29, 2023

jokerman wrote:

Ideally, the TMs on the online server should be accessable with any CAT-tool (or at least with the most popular ones, e.g. SDL Studio, MemoQ, memsource, Deja Vu, etc...).

ASFAIK, Wordfast Server is the only server-based TM and glossary tool that disclosed its API so other tools like MemoQ and Trados could connect to server assets (in addition to Wordfast Pro, Wordfast Anywhere, and Wordfast Classic). MemoQ no longer maintains this connection. There is a plug-in for Trados 2019 that allows you to connect to Wordfast Server. I do not believe it has been updated for newer versions of Trados.

Kind regards,

John

Philippe Locquet

Philippe Locquet
Philippe Locquet  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 22:36
English to French
+ ...
Silos Jun 29, 2023

jokerman wrote:

the TMs on the online server should be accessable with any CAT-tool (or at least with the most popular ones, e.g. SDL Studio, MemoQ, memsource, Deja Vu, etc...).

Hi, that would nice indeed!

However, most CAT tools providers do not facilitate this at all to keep people using their -and only their if possible- services.

So you're basically stuck with the options of online CAT tools (my favourite for a very long time is Wordfast Anywhere, it does TM/Glo and file sharing and TMS too).
Or sticking to a hybrid online/desktop solution like memoQ or Trados have.

As John Di Rico mentioned, the only TM/Glo server that allows you to connect to it in any shape or form is Wordfast Server. It now supports calls with the http protocol which means that any developper can create a connector for it in a day's work.

If you want to test it, DM me. I run a Wordfast Server myself for my customers.

My bests

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Which server based CAT Tool(s) do you use (and prefer)?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »