How do you deal with the missing auto-assembling feature in your CAT tool?
Thread poster: Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
May 10, 2023

Popular CAT tools like WFP or Trados don't have an auto-assembling feature. I have always asked myself: How do users deal with the missing auto-assembling feature in their CAT tool?

Auto-assembling is a feature that automatically inserts the first translation of a term into the target segment editor, e.g. when translating parts lists.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 19:48
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Hans May 10, 2023

Hans Lenting wrote:
Popular CAT tools like WFP or Trados don't have an auto-assembling feature. I have always asked myself: How do users deal with the missing auto-assembling feature in their CAT tool?

We don't miss it. Auto-assembly at the term level (which is what you're talking about) is really only useful if the source and target languages have similar sentence constructions or word orders.

If a program offers good and/or easy auto-complete, you won't miss the auto-assembly. By auto-complete I mean that you can easily insert a term (or placeable) at the cursor position and/or easily select a term (or placeable) to be inserted at the cursor position. Some CAT tools do this on demand (i.e. you have to press a shortcut to activate it) while others offer suggestions while you type. It's quicker for me to insert or select & insert a term in the exact correct location while I translate than to rearrange existing words in the segment or to "plan" my translation around the words that were pre-inserted into the segment.

Stepan Konev
MollyRose

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
More May 10, 2023

Samuel Murray wrote:

Auto-assembly at the term level (which is what you're talking about) is really only useful if the source and target languages have similar sentence constructions or word orders.

Some CAT tools extend auto-assembly to fragments or phrases and allow term patterns and segment context-depending patterns, while taking MT and your own high-prio glossaries into account, thus creating a kind of user-controlled NMT.

At least mine is ...

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 20:48
English to Russian
Could not find a use for it May 10, 2023

memoQ can generate autoassembled suggestions (violet marker) but, to be honest, I have never seen a little chance to use it. MT, Muse and glossary do it much better and faster.
In Trados, I use all possible autosuggestion engines (autosuggest, autotext, autocorrect, termbase, fuzzy repair, fragment match, etc.) and I am not longing for this feature either.

MollyRose
Philippe Etienne

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
Type of text / segments May 11, 2023

Samuel Murray wrote:

It's quicker for me to insert or select & insert a term in the exact correct location

I think that this depends on the type of text and segments: in very short segments (e.g. the ones containing only one word) in texts like parts lists, catalogues (not the marketing descriptions in them), automatic transfer of glossary items can be a real time saver:

Pressure:
Temperature:
Distance:

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
How? May 11, 2023

Stepan Konev wrote:

memoQ can generate autoassembled suggestions (violet marker) but, to be honest, I have never seen a little chance to use it. MT, Muse and glossary do it much better and faster.

How do "muses" work?

And: how exactly do you transfer the translation from a glossary to the target segment editor?

In Trados, I use all possible autosuggestion engines (autosuggest, autotext, autocorrect, termbase, fuzzy repair, fragment match, etc.) and I am not longing for this feature either.

Same question here: how do you transfer the translation from a glossary to the target segment editor?

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 20:48
English to Russian
Muses May 11, 2023

Hans Lenting wrote:
How do "muses" work?
And: how exactly do you transfer the translation from a glossary to the target segment editor?
Muses are pretty similar to the autosuggest in Trados: memoQ suggests fragment translations as you type. If there is a suggestion, a dropdown list appears to select the suggestion and insert it into the target segment by pressing Enter.
What regards terms, I insert them by pressing Ctrl+number in memoQ or by typing and selecting a fragment from the dropdown list in Trados

There are 8 autosuggestion engines (sources) in Trados. All of them work on the predictive typing principle. memoQ does not have so many AS sources (I only know Muses).

[Edited at 2023-05-11 14:13 GMT]

Hans Lenting

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How do you deal with the missing auto-assembling feature in your CAT tool?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »